• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

Slow Love™

International Captain
Tim said:
I still think Pakistan need to show more consistency without needing Shoaib to wreck the opposition, and if they can do that then look out because they will be very tough.
The batting is looking more solid than it has for quite a while, Sami is improving, and let's face it, even relying on Shoaib to wreck the opposition still makes them pretty good - he can destroy batting orders on a level that not many bowlers in the world can.

I think Pakistan are going to be BIG challengers for the number one spot in a couple of years, if they can control the administrative dummy spits.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Yeah though I'm an Indian , I think Pakistan will be the favourites in March. We don't have any strike bowler, our best is Zaheer Khan and if Pakistan could handle the likes of Pollock, Nitni and Nel - I'm certain our attack is gonna be a pc of cake. Over that Harbhajan will be out. Kumble is our best hope !

It surprises me to see ppl of SRT's, Ganguly's, Sehwags, Dravids, Laxmans talent in a team with such a weak bowling line up.
We need a strike bowler, Zaheer is only good when he's absolutely fit and in rytheme i.e. he's inconsistant and erratic.

I hope we win in Pak, we haven't for 50 yrs, this is the strongest Indian squad of all time, we must win this time - no excuses!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Judging from the behaviour of Javed Miandad of the tour in NZ, he is a VERY astute coach & he looks to be fully on top of things when it comes to preparing & planning for a match where arguably Pakistan were hopeless at doing up until now. they used to just turn up & expect their talent & flair to win the matches.

The good sign is that unlike in previous years gone by, they've resisted the urge to drop players like Hameed, Farhat, Umar, Shabbir Ahmed etc if they play poorly in a couple of games..they've stuck with them & they're really starting to improve now.

I think the attack of Shoaib, Sami & Shabbir will be one of the best very soon...Shabbir really does complement the 2 quicks with his ability to swing the ball on a good length consistently.

Shoaib needs to try and maintain this consistency that he's found. Usually he plays well in 1 or 2 matches and then he's taken to the cleaners the next.
I don't think you'll find too many batsmen in the world at the moment who reckon they could successfully play out 4 or 5 overs of 155 km deliveries with reverse swing, except maybe the odd exception.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
I think Pakistan are going to be BIG challengers for the number one spot in a couple of years, if they can control the administrative dummy spits.

I don't see Pakistan winning much abroad, they're bound to fail, the team is full of youngsters without much experience but yeah those guys have what it takes to be no 1..Their bowling lineup is impressive, they got guys good at reverse swing like Shabbir Ahmad, Sami, Razzaq and ofcourse the Rawalpindi Express Shoaib.

India simply acnnot be no 1 , like the Sydney test showed the world, India just doesn't having the bowling strength to remain no1 for long. West Indies also but to a lesser extent.

South Africa is improving, I believe they will trouble Australia the most, they're batting lineup is very impressive, Kirsten, KAllis, Gibbs, Smith, Dipenaar, Boucher, Pollock, and McKenzie. Their bowling is good with Nel, Pollock, and Nitni but they need one genuine spinner someone other than peterson.

The truth is Australia will remain no1 in the world for the yrs 2004, 2005 but only just so.

The Australian team will be as strong as the one in 96, 97 - best in the world but only just so.. South Africa will a close second.

England, SL, NZ, WI will fight amongst themselves for rank 5,6,7 & 8 !

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
from Bappu Rao Swami -

this is the strongest Indian squad of all time,
India 1971 when they beat both England and Windies in their own country. That was the strongest Indian squad of all time.

And I find a conflict here when you say this is the best Indian side of all time and it cant win in Pakistan. Then according to your logic in an earlier post, India shouldnt even play Pakistan like they shouldnt play Australia as we arent good enough for them.

India certainly has a bowling problem but its not as hue as you make it out to be. The creditable thing is India is a vastly improving side which is giving effort and playing to the best of its ability, a factor not often seen in Indian sides. It would be good if that aspect could be appreciated and seeing how India is trying to make the best of whatever resources it has.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are currently at the point where we'll either go up or fall back to #7 or #8.

At the moment we've got a boom of younger players averaging between 40 & 50 with the bat, although none of them have yet to make the NZ team. And also a handful of decent pace bowlers coming through.

Last edited:
Clarke and that other guy were pretty good, no? I didn't see it but my scorecard tells me who was boss.

I say other guy because he's not nearly as important.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
I agree but I'm bing honest for once, straight forward. When I start appreciating our team then thats me being an Indian fan, take a look at it from a neutral perspective. I know our team of 71 might have been stronger but the media, has given this team the most hype, atleast you agree in recent times this is the strongest Indian side while Pakistani fans feel this is their weakest Pakistani side. Now if we can't win - I think that tells you thats as good as Team India gets. I will continue to support India and so will millions of other ppl but if you look at it from a neutral perspective - you'll notice I'm right. For 90 seconds think of yourself as a England fan and then assess the situation.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
NZ are currently at the point where we'll either go up or fall back to #7 or #8.

NZ a strong test match competitor, no denying that. I think it the small pool of talent that holds you guys behind. Oram, Cairns, Harriz, Astle, Bond, Vettori, Fleming and Richardson are match winners, Tuffey is okay.. I think NZ harbors many players who're ex wicket keepers, ex bowlers, ex all rounders. NZ doesn't have many orthodox cricketers - most of yr team can bat, bowl, together without much depth. Fighting spirit no doubt NZ is good and Fleming is an inspirational captain.

That said NZ is just doesn't have the firepower to consistently beat SA, Pak, Aus and to an extent India (although NZ is stronger at tests).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
From Bappu Rao Swami -

will continue to support India and so will millions of other ppl but if you look at it from a neutral perspective - you'll notice I'm right. For 90 seconds think of yourself as a England fan and then assess the situation.
First of all, I dont need to be an England fan to be neutral :lol:
Second of all you are using the likes of 'we', and discussing abbout the reason why we shouldnt be even playing in Australia right now. There is no logic India shouldnt play in the VB series. That begs the question whether I am neutral or you are being slightly over critical.

India is doing well in the match now. Its crucial they are phasing out good bowling by Gillespie and Williams and can score heavily when the weaker bowlers come on. Its turning out to be a good contest. Andy Bichel's speall now may just turn out to be the most crucial in the match.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
and discussing abbout the reason why we shouldnt be even playing in Australia right now.

Thats not true, when and where have I said that???

All I did was reflect on our weaknesses in the series so far, so that we can spot them clearly and have a bigger picture of where we stand irrespective of what ICC rank us. That'll help us improve. I never said we shoudln't be playing Australia! You misunderstood my comment I think. Yeah SRT has gotten us to flying start!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
from Bapu Rao Swami -

Dunno why but we're playing Australia. Australia is the top team, from this series we're clearly being able to spot India's weaknesses
Well that does suggests you are not happy with India even playing in the VB series right now. Look at the post you made a bit before the last one.

O my .. the shock on Ponting's face was amazing.. Indians have started to open up a bit now. Brilliant one day cricket with no team having a clear advantage I would say. Harsha Bhogle - 'Longest top edge six yuo would ever see' :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think the fact that India hasnt lost wickets yet really sets this up to a very good match up. Australia certainly lost crucial runs in the end with the Bevan dismissal.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
required run rate is 6.00, we need to avoid losing a wkt to reach that! As we speak its going good - Bichel should think of retiring after this series, the poor guy is being hit all over. He's also very unlucky.

halsey said:
Despite the fact that he actually scored more runs today? :D

Very sorry to point that out, Ged. :lol:
Who's to say he would have scored any runs without the stabilizing presence of rock solid Clarke?

Symonds needs something to get him going. His work goes by an initial partnership. Versus Pakistan in the WC it was Ponting. Against SL it was Boof. I've not seen him actually play a lone hand that he made all himself.

I've seen Clarke stop the rot in his short career. He did it today. Of course Symonds had to play 'ride the coat-tails again'.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
The judgements of height from the hawk eye is a suspect. But the pitching marks on the pitch clearly show the decisions where height was not the problem (as has been the case with the Bucknor decisions) were plumb. So Bucknor did miss a lot
I don't entirely trust hawkeye. In the 2nd Test between West Indies and South Africa, a batsman was bowled (can't remember who right now) and on hawkeye the ball was shown to be missing the stumps. Apparently the wrong ball was processed and shown. This happens all the time. Hawkeye is not completely computer operated. You need a manual hand to control it and such mixups occur quite frequently.

It's nowhere near the final say on deliveries.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't entirely trust hawkeye. In the 2nd Test between West Indies and South Africa, a batsman was bowled (can't remember who right now) and on hawkeye the ball was shown to be missing the stumps. Apparently the wrong ball was processed and shown. This happens all the time. Hawkeye is not completely computer operated. You need a manual hand to control it and such mixups occur quite frequently.

It's nowhere near the final say on deliveries.
Am I right in saying that the field-testing for Hawkeye was based purely on the bowling of one person?

Am I also right in suggesting that bowler was Angus Fraser? I seem to recall that bit of useless information from somewhere.