• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum

nibbs

International Captain
has this young man finally rised to the big stage. His previous couple of proformances on the international stage make me think he might finally be ready to become a regular fixture in the NZ one day side and very soon, the test team.

His main problem IMO, was that he was thrown in the deep end straight away, and forced to open, and this perhaps wasn't the right thing to do, as he had to face the likes of Pollock and McGrath with the new ball. He is suited to the middle order and if he stays there he may become good :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has been very impressive with the bat in his last couple of 1-day games however his keeping needs to improve a fair bit before he is exposed to test cricket.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
He still has a long way to go.. but i doubt if he has fully cemented the place.. as if there is a brighter prospect in our domestic championships they could get a go..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum really looks good with the bat now.
He's batting with confidence & if he's capable of scoring 200 runs off 80 balls in U19 matches then hopefully he can do it on the nig stage.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
are you joking mate?

U19 level is in a total different league from International Cricket were you are Fully analyzed before you even step in and bowlers etc are way better its like playing against the best of the best

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
excuse me for my typo "nig" it was meant to be "big"

And no im not joking...sure batsmen are analyzed but bowlers are too. And I never suggested he could do it, I just said hopefully he might be able to play like that in the future.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well im afraid thats the way it goes with every country..there is alot of pressure on these new-comers to perform & generally most of them take awhile to take it all in.

Im not suggesting that McCullum will be able to hit 200 off 80 balls at international level either, but it showed he has raw talent. Whether Bracewell is the man capable of smoothing the edges we'll have to wait & see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone noticed McCullum's domestic-one-day average?
One of the most crazy selections I've ever seen outside the subcontinent, and his ODI record up to these last 2 innings demonstrated that.
I hope we soon see a return to the failure which better illustrates his ability.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
One of the most crazy selections I've ever seen outside the subcontinent, and his ODI record up to these last 2 innings demonstrated that.
I hope we soon see a return to the failure which better illustrates his ability.
That has to rank among the stupidest comments ever.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That has to rank among the stupidest comments ever.
I'm not sure it's quite in the same league as state level tests, but it's not far off.

Aren't averages fun?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
If he's good enough to score those runs and his domestic average is bad then that means that he's not good enough to score those runs? Perfect sense as usual. :rolleyes:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Edited by Andre
So what if his FC average is poor?, England seem to do the same thing & they all have better test averages.

NZ did a dis-service to McCullum buying throwing him into the deep end with absolutely no FC experience.
But judging on the way he is playing at the moment, he's really starting to improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you rate your own current keeper Richard, Chris Read who averages 27 after 117 FC county matches.

McCullum averages 28 after 17 FC matches & is starting to get better. How you can even rate a player after so few matches is interesting.

I don't want to start comparing averages to every player but I think you need to worry about the ability of your own players.

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard mate i'm sorry but that post was just ridiculous. I personally feel the McCullum has been very impressive. Mister Wright speaks the truth when he says his keeping needs to improve a bit before test cricket, but he is not far off at all.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Spot on..I think he has a few keeping flaws, but they're ones that can be easily fixed & working with Steve Rixon should solve them quite quickly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
Richard you're an absolute tosser mate.
The point made may be laughable but there are ways to respond and that isn't one of them.

I point out the text underneath your name on the left hand side...

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
hmm, i thought it was only Brits who used that expletive...

IMO, McCullum is a decent enough prospect who i wdnt mind at all to have been English...

but i spose my standards are supposedly too low..:rolleyes:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Thats just rubbish and quite mean.

No wonder no one here likes you very much with comments like that.