• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Indian queston and answer thread

Craig

World Traveller
Ok can the Indians on here answer the few questions I have now in the future.

1-Is the Ranji Throphey the domestic state competion? For example such teams like Mumbai, Delhi, Tamil Nadu etc.

2-Is the Duleep Throphey is the Zonal competion? In that I mean West Zone, East Zone? If so what states make up in each zone?

3-What is the name of the local ode-day competion?

If any of these competions dont exist anymore just say so.

I may not be a brilliant man in the eye's of many people on here and in real life, but a smart idea then creating lots of unnesscary threads when I can cram it into one.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Craig said:
Ok can the Indians on here answer the few questions I have now in the future.

1-Is the Ranji Throphey the domestic state competion? For example such teams like Mumbai, Delhi, Tamil Nadu etc.

2-Is the Duleep Throphey is the Zonal competion? In that I mean West Zone, East Zone? If so what states make up in each zone?

3-What is the name of the local ode-day competion?

If any of these competions dont exist anymore just say so.

I may not be a brilliant man in the eye's of many people on here and in real life, but a smart idea then creating lots of unnesscary threads when I can cram it into one.
1- Yes. It is divided into two divisions now like the England County Championship.

2- Yes. It was changed last year but it did not go down well and is reverted back to its original format this year. This year there may even be a foregn team taking part in this.

3- There are 3 main one day competitions.

Deodhar Trophy- It is just like the Duleep Trophy . Only difference is Deodhar contains one dayers while Duleep 4 dayers.

Challenger Trophy- The best 36 players are selected into 3 teams named India seniors , India A and India B

Ranji One Day Trophy (?) - Not sure about it's name but this one is played regionally . Eg:- South teams play each other like Hyderabad Vs Karnataka,etc,.

Craig

World Traveller
But Mumbai have AA!

But Tamil Nadu have produced some good cricketers for India over the years.

What is the general standard of the Ranji Trophey? They must produce a lot of batter friendly wickets as a lot of them average over 50.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yes, a lot of batsman friendly surfaces, but also a lot of talented batsman are produced as well.

As well as substandard bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, better than the County Championship, which has tended recently to produce substandard bowlers AND substandard batsmen.