• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Youth World Cup - February 2004

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, Draw for the Group Stages:

Australia
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Canada

England
South Africa
Nepal
Uganda

India
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Scotland

Pakistan
West Indies
Ireland
Papua New Guinea

Top two go through into a Super League and the bottom two into the Plate Championship, followed by Semi Finals and Final.

Brilliant format, shortly to be adopted in the full World Cup (without the Plate Championship).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indies U-19 team, spearheaded by Ravi Rampaul, may have a genuine shot of running away with it.

amits

Banned
i expect these teams to qualify

pool a - Aus, SL
pool b - SA, Nep
pool c - Ind, NZ
pool d - Pak, WI

i dont c Kenya anywhere in this :O :O :O

iamdavid

International Debutant
I reckon England with Shafayat , Brensan , Patel etc would be right up there this time.
Australia wont be as good now that White , Doherty , Cassell are to old but still probably favourites.

amits

Banned
about the 2007 world cup, with 5 places to be taken by minnow teams, i expect these teams to qualify besides the 10 test playing nations + kenya -

Holland
Namibia
Ireland (doing quite well in european championships, also now it is said that the irish are better than the scots)
UAE (will just have the edge over nepal in 2005, but aging players can make the difference)
Nepal (good youth team, and now with 5 places, have a good chance to qualify)

i dont think scotland would be able to qualify. they did poorly in the english domestic league and only their foreign players were able to play well. the original scottish players were flops.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
chances

It's a bit tricky to predict favouritism in a youth world cup simply because, youth sides don't play very much at international level.

However:
Australia deserve favoritism simply because they are the defending champions and beacuse they have the best cricket system in teh world.
It remains to be seen though whether their youngsters can cope well with the turning pitches in Dhaka.
South Africa are a strong team from what I've gathered. THey had a solid tour of England and certainly look as if they've got some talent there.
India will be a tough side to beat -- they have traditionally produced strong youth teams (not surprising given they are the most cricket-crazy country in the world).
They were semi finalists in NZl in 2002 and winners in SRi Lanka in 2000.

I know little about the youth teams or youth development programs in other countries so I'm certainly
not ruling out the chances of the likes of SL, WI and Pak etc.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Dravid is said to have made arrangements to allow the Scotland team to train at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore to get used to the conditions.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Aye, crivens, Rahul will do all he kin to become an onorary Scotsman. Now let's see if e kin wear a kilt ;)

Seriously though, Scotland doesn't have a chance, at least if their opening batsman plays like that :P Add Bangladesh, Canada, and PNG to the list of hopeless (although Canada came close to beating Barbados in a West Indies tournament)

India I think have a pretty solid team, led by Ifran Pathan (if he plays there and not for the senior team - think he could be player of the tournament).

Watch out for Sri Lanka - they beat India in the prelims of that tournament only to lose in the final. They have another good fast bowler called Mohamed Maharoof, who took 4/22 against India.

Australia won both the youth ODI series (4-1) and youth Test series (2-1) when England toured during the Ashes. Some players are a bit too old now, but I still think Australia have to be considered among the big favourites.

EDIT: Zimbabwean youth cricket is quite good, but most of their eligible stars would play for the national or A team anyway.

Pakistan and Bangladesh struggled during the Asian U-19 tournament, I see no difference here. Nepal have a solid youth side, could come close to challenging South Africa and England for a quarter-final place.

West Indies could be an outsider - haven't really played that many matches, but at least Liam is optimistic :)

SA have played very little youth cricket the last year, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SA thumped England in the youth ODIs and Tests this summer.

We looked like getting back into them several times before having the doors slammed hard in our faces.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indies team has a couple of very talented players who I hope will continue to progress in the WC. Rampaul is perhaps the better known of the two and the other is Denesh Ramdin - a very prolific wicketkeeper batsman.

Besides, West Indian success at youth level isn't unknown.

amits

Banned
Canada, Uganda, PNG, Bangladesh, Scotland and Ireland will all be outsiders. except that ireland have an outside chance against the windies to qualify.

among asian teams,

pakistan and india have the edge over the other 2, sri lanka and nepal.

pak u-19s beat sl u-19 4-1 and then lost to them in the asian u-19s.
ind u-19s beat nep u-19 3-0, but i cant understand why didnt nep u-19s play in the asian u-19s.
bd u-19s were blown off easily by ind, pak and sl u-19s in the asian u-19s, so have no chance despite their home grounds and conditions.

asian u-15s, pak u-15s won it beating sl u-15s in the final and ind u-15s lost to sl u-15s in the semi-final. nep u-15s did well and lost by only 27 runs to teams like ind u-15s and pak u-15s.

and there is also an asian u-17s in jan/feb 2004 in india. some of the players from here will be seen in the u-19 wc.

overall the asian u-19s can be rated as ind = pak > sl > nep > bd.