Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Is Tendulkar's career now "complete"?

When he averages 99.94 +

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    [QUOTE=miscer;2529037]

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    0.5 multipled by 50 give 25. In other words, if all those batsmen were to score 50 hundreds, Tendulkar would've done it the faster by 25 innings. That is quite some daylight afaic.
    If I understand the stat correctly then it is inning/100 right? The number of innings it requires a player to make a 100? Right? Or is this stat interpreted differently?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    0.5 multipled by 50 give 25. In other words, if all those batsmen were to score 50 hundreds, Tendulkar would've done it the faster by 25 innings. That is quite some daylight afaic.
    Or more likely he'll have played against BanZim more often (which is incidentally the case - remove BanZim and he's 6.21 against Hayden's 6.29)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State Vice-Captain
    out of curiosity, why would one remove zimbabwe and bangladesh?

i would wager that the zimbabwe attack of the 90s and early 00s were comparable to the windian and kiwi attacks of today.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

State Vice-Captain
    i remember how spectacular hayden was. at one point, around the time he had played around 90 innings, he had scored 20 centuries (the numbers might be marginally off, but bear with me!). quite incredible!

also, i remember that gavaskar had scored 20 100s after 50 tests. another incredible statistic.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    I think even now he's only playing at 75-80% of his best.

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    I think even now he's only playing at 75-80% of his best.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    or more likely he'll have played against banzim more often (which is incidentally the case - remove banzim and he's 6.21 against hayden's 6.29)
    Last edited by Bun; 09-04-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post

If I understand the stat correctly then it is inning/100 right? The number of innings it requires a player to make a 100? Right? Or is this stat interpreted differently?
    Yes

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Reckon the data could do with some serious weighting. The raw innings/100 ratio is really prone to bias.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Reckon the data could do with some serious weighting. The raw innings/100 ratio is really prone to bias.
    Agree, but any filtering of the same imho just increases the bias one way or the other.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah, as I've said many times, there's no defensible statistical basis for excluding weaker opponents. It's actually quite a complex issue truly understanding a dataset like a sports one. Just about all sports data, if you're to use the raw measures, should only be used as vague guides only. Otherwise, you need to sample, transform and/or weight appropriately.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Yeah, as I've said many times, there's no defensible statistical basis for excluding weaker opponents. It's actually quite a complex issue truly understanding a dataset like a sports one. Just about all sports data, if you're to use the raw measures, should only be used as vague guides only. Otherwise, you need to sample, transform and/or weight appropriately.
    as I have said before, when it comes to "how to use stats in cricket", listen to the pro!!!
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Top_Cat speaks the truth. And speaks it better than me by being all clever and whatnot.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

AWTA.
    z
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread Information