• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ Herald writer Richard Boock who is in India said Munaf was unorthodox but definately not an extremely quick bowler.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boock was a Test player too, wasn't he? You figure that he'd have some idea when it came to bowlers then.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Munaf has a round arm action and his action is a bit like Akthar. I think he was hyped. There was no speedgun during the match but he looked like bowling in the 130's and nothing more than that. But he has the ability to make the ball swing-in to the right handers. He was wayward at the start but settled down later. He looked good when he maintained a decent line.

He does not seem to have express pace but can become a good bowler if worked on as he has the ability to swing the ball. Pretty good performance for a first match.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
there are 3 Boock brothers aren't there? I definately know that Stephen Boock played for NZ..I have a feeling Richard didn't..but he's got a fairly good cricketing background in which to base his comments on.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no doubt that Munaf produced some good spells against NZ & good on him in what was technically his 1st first class match.

But I think the talk about his pace was seriously over-hyped, although until he gets tracked by a speed-gun there will only be debate.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Indian team for First Test

Akash Chopra
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
VVS Laxman
Parthiv Patel
Harbhajan Singh
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Lakshmipathy Balaji

Yuvraj Singh, Aavishkar Salvi and Sairaj Bahutule miss out.

masterblaster

International Captain
Very interesting to see Salvi miss out...its a bit unfortuante, i rate him much higher than Balaji.

But hopefully for Balaji, his test debut is a bit sweeter than his ODI debut.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Indian team for First Test

1.Akash Chopra - Obvious choice

2.Virender Sehwag - Since its a home series, I don't mind him opening tests.

3.Rahul Dravid - The Rock still can't be moved.

4.Sachin Tendulkar - Oh well... next please.

5.Sourav Ganguly - He should remain captain but needs to perform really well.

6.VVS Laxman - Same with him. But if this fellow fails, Yuvraj Singh will get the nod.

7.Parthiv Patel - I think this kid has tremendous potential.

8.Harbhajan Singh - Turbanator's back. Beware Kiwis. He turbanated the Aussies and now he's aiming at you.

9.Anil Kumble - Pity he had to miss the WC matches. But he's good for a few years.

10.Zaheer Khan - Needs to get back to rhythm. Was sloppy in the Challenger series.

11.Lakshmipathy Balaji - Must perform well or his place will be taken by Salvi.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
bah still not upto to the standards of even Marc...

anyway, i dont see why Akash Chopra was a obvious choice...

and once again let me gloat about the exclusion of 'aa' [not worthy of capital letters] from not only the test side but also from the whole squad..

AA IS OVERRATED:P [well by certain members in this forum..you know who you are :!( ]

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Parthiv Patel
where do you see potential in his batting ? apart from his great keeping ability.. he needs to really work on his batting..

and i really dont know why Balaji was given a go instead of Salvi.. i thought Salvi was the indian McGrath :P

NZ Herald writer Richard Boock who is in India said Munaf was unorthodox but definately not an extremely quick bowler.
oh ye .. read that in the paper aswell.. but didnt know if it was exclusive..

so what was all the pre hype about...?LOL

masterblaster

International Captain
Parthiv is a decent batsman, he's only 18 so he will improve, but the talent is there. We saw it in England where he batted out so many overs to ensure an Indian draw.

Also in domestic cricket, he has been quite explosive with the bat.

Craig

World Traveller
gibbsnsmith said:
bah still not upto to the standards of even Marc...

anyway, i dont see why Akash Chopra was a obvious choice...

and once again let me gloat about the exclusion of 'aa' [not worthy of capital letters] from not only the test side but also from the whole squad..

AA IS OVERRATED:P [well by certain members in this forum..you know who you are :!( ]
Put that in "Over-rated XI" thread then.

Choora

State Regular
lord_of_darkness said:

and i really dont know why Balaji was given a go instead of Salvi.. i thought Salvi was the indian McGrath :P

Salvi will get chance in future, Balaji's selection is on merit as his performance at domestic level has been wonderful.
Balaji will have the honour of sharing the new ball with Khan, hopefully Balaji will live upto reputation.I think his inswing delieveries is going to cause kiwi's batsmen some problem.

As for the series, i think NZ bowling lineup is too weak to trouble the great Indian batting lineup!

Choora

State Regular
India wins the toss and opts to bat first, Balaji gets a test cap and so does Chopra.

Looking at Indian batting lineup, India should post a total of 400 + runs in the first innings!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I dislike Choora's arrogance, he's correct about the fact that India will have no problems with NZ's bowling attack..I mean Oram, Tuffey & Styris all barely break 135 km's, and what the hell is the point of picking Wiseman if you're not going to bowl him?

Andre

International Regular
Agreed with Tim regarding Wiseman.

On to the debutant Chopra: looked quite a good prospect to me. Could possibly turn out as the best Indian opener since Sidhu.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Chorpa/Ghambir opening pair in the future. Sehwag just doesn't do it for me at the top of the order in Test matches.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin failed - too bad, but the Wall and "Very Very Special" Laxman came through for India. They should be able to post a good 1st innings total from here on....touch wood....

Akash Chopra looks really hungry for success and that's a good thing....

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
well, 249/3

hmm..well, its hardly a lot of runs scored in a WHOLE days play..

But the loss of only 3 wickets mean that they can surely make it to around 400!