Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please explain

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by royGilchrist
    Giles is a decent bowler. He bowled better than pakistani spinners a few years back in Pakistan. And especially considering Pakistan has generally better players of spin than England.
    But considering also that Pakistan has more spin-friendly conditions than England or even Australia...
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Except at the SCG or the Adelaide Oval.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Originally posted by Craig
    Except at the SCG or the Adelaide Oval.
    Those are only 2 Australian grounds as compared to practically every Pakistani cricket ground which supports spin.

State 12th Man
    I dont remember the pitches helpiing the spinners muh in that series. And I dont Pakistani pitches help the spinners much, its just a misconception.

The Pak spiners with much bigger reputations, didnt do much against Eng bats who are not really known for playing spin.

Is Tufnell still around? How old is he? Has his action been cleared? on another note, where the hell is Reon King? Mr Mxy you might know this, as you are a WI fan. He was awesome I thought, just like the legends of WI fast bowling.

Tufers retired at the start of the season. In that series the pitches were dead lifeless wickets.

Originally posted by royGilchrist
    on another note, where the hell is Reon King? Mr Mxy you might know this, as you are a WI fan. He was awesome I thought, just like the legends of WI fast bowling.
    I am quoting my response from another thread as I couldn't be bothered to type this for the millionth time :P.
    I've explained this too many time to count but I shall do so again for your benefit. Reon King was injured on the tour of England in 2000 and was consequently out of cricket for a year. When he returned, he struggled greatly to get into any sort of rhythm. On closer examination, his action seemed to have been slighly modifie, perhaps tp prevent against reinjury. King has been slowly nursing himself back into top form but, until he is definitely at that level again, he should be picked for WI IMO.
    That said....
    This year, Reon King has been playing in the North East Premier League in England with South Northumberland CC.
    I hope this clears it up.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Originally posted by marc71178
    I think the containment is an attempt to stifle the batsmen and frustrate them.

Giles isn't a big enough turner on English wickets to attack all the time, so we bowl to the conditions. Some good flat containing spin.

Flat Spin is poor end of story Spin is in the air Break is off the pitch

and Giles is crap averages 41 per test

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rich2001
    Because in defending your not giving away runs between the wickets he takes, and if you keep a batsman like Tendulkar / Lara quite for more than a ball or two they will try riskier shots to try and get flowing again, therefore giving chances to the field.

Also when you have bowlers the other end who can't contain they just go for wickets, you need someone to tie a end up otherwise your be looking at scores of 400 at the end of day 1, also if his ties an end up means the cap can rotate his paceman for shorther sharper spells rather than being forced to bowl them for longer spells trying to reel the batsman back in.
    But if you Flight the ball up you increase the chances of getting a wicket

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Right Chris, we've been down this road more times than Steve Harmison's bowled wides and it ends up the same way every flipping time.

I'm not in the best of moods anyway at the moment and this has just pushed me too far.

Thread Closed.

:!( :!( :!(
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information