• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar retires

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Miandad was a very good fielder (especially close in, in the beginning of his career), but not that great in slips, atleast not as good as Inzamam. Majid Khan used to be good in the slips too.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
royGilchrist said:
Miandad was a very good fielder (especially close in, in the beginning of his career), but not that great in slips, atleast not as good as Inzamam. Majid Khan used to be good in the slips too.
...and so was shane warne. who is Majid Khan?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
...and so was shane warne. who is Majid Khan?
Well Shane Warne is good no doubt, and indeed there have been tons of great slip fielders in cricket, but as far as Pakistanis are concerned not too many.

Majid Khan is Imran Khan's cousin, opening batsman for Pak in the 70s and early eighties quite explosive at times, and great at facing fast bowling, and a good slip fielder. He once hit a century against west Indies before lunch (not sure). And Majid was generally mild mannered but strangely enough that day he told his team mates in the dressing room that the WI bowlers will pay for the harsh treatment they had given the Pak batsman. And this was the formidable bowling lineup of WI of the 70s.

He was also the wisden cricketer of the year in 1970

Mr. P

sorry, have to disagree there. inzy has the same skill as anwar, but much slower. saeed is my winner.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Anwar would easily be my batsman of the decade for Pakistan. He had his weaknesses, but as the article up head states, he issued a grace and a style that is rare in international batsmen.

To refresh some memories, his strokeplay in the 96 english series was astounding. He played some meorable innings in the Indian series and the unofrgettable 194. Undoubtedly he has given some of the best memories of Pakistan cricket in the 90's. And like Miandad, he relished SHARJAH!

I just think that the Anwar of the mid-nineties was a free flowing player with drives and cuts through the off side that were unmatched. The offside play was especially spectacular. In the later years though, perhaps wary of the 'flash' outside the off, he just shunned those drives. Thus never looked like the same player. I still remember how rustfull and unlike that last century of his looked.

All in all though, I regard him as right up there. As Imran put it, he was one of the best timers of all of this era.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's actually going out on a high note after a good World Cup. He gave his fans one final hundred - a fine knock - against India no less.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
hey Gotchya, long time :)

Anwar was talked about as being an excellen off-side player, and it just occured to me, when they were both at their peak, who do you regard as better, Anwar or Ganguly? Their records would be a nice starting point, unfortunately I am unable to retrieve it now, but I think Ganguly might be ahead in that category. Still both were excellent off-side players and a comparison should be interesting. One thing that I did not like about Ganguly was his dislike for the short ball, Anwar did not have that, but ofcourse Ganguly could also time the ball exquisitely in the off-side.

Comments?

masterblaster

International Captain
Yes Roy your right about Ganguly's weakness of the short ball. In the days when he was in prime form, he could square cut or pull the most lethal bouncer away to the ropes, now he just fends and tries to get out of the way.

Statistically, Ganguly is ahead of Anwar in age and in Average and in runs scored.

But Anwar and Ganguly are very much in the same bracket as far as im concerned. Both relied heavily on timing the ball, and in terms of elegance and timing cannot be seperated. Co-incidentally as well, both thrived off their rival's bowling attacks.

Anwar has an outstanding record against India, and Ganguly has an outstanding record against Pakistan.

Mr. P

personally i think ganguly is nothing compared to anwar. ganguly never seemed as correct and was harder to watch. anwar on the other hand, was fluent and a treat to see play.:)

Mr. P

Craig said:
I will remember Anwar as one of the classest ODI batsmen I have seen.
..and i will remember craig for being the only person who understands what 'classest' means.:lol: