• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Switch hitting

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Besides, you'd be allowed to bowl with five leg-slips and three leg-gullies in that scenario. Bowlers would be loving it.
Yeah exactly, especially in Tests with stacked off-side fields. This is why it's a complete non-issue; the risk outweighs any reward by so much.

If I was the bowler and I started my run only to see a batter chance stance to face up leftie, first thing I'd do would be to test the middle of the pitch; I don't think there'd be many blokes able to play a hook anywhere near as well as they do in their normal stance when facing up the other way. And if he tried to counter that by waiting until the last second, especially against pacers, it just increases the risk of a top-edge and such. Would take an immense amount of skill to pull off something like that consistently without getting out.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That tactic might not work so well for your average off-spinner!

I can't see the problem. Surely batsmen are allowed to improvise whatever technique they care to try to play a shot. Like the reverse sweep, it will probably **** up and get them out as often as it gets them a couple of cheap runs. There's a reason why batsmen generally don't go radically turning themselves around when the bowler's running in - makes batting bloody hard.

Like many issues, opponents developing good tactics to counteract a gambit is better than a legislative sledgehammer on any walnut that pops up.