• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe are Improving!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bring back Chiggers Chigumbura IMO.

Also Chakabva and Tiripano should be in the mix.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Chigs hardly ever even bowls anymore, and he isn't good enough to make it on batting alone. Clearly a bit past it.

Don't know why Waller has been persisted with so long either. Occasionally can be useful in limited overs but far too inconsistent for someone of his experience.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chigs hardly ever even bowls anymore, and he isn't good enough to make it on batting alone. Clearly a bit past it.

Don't know why Waller has been persisted with so long either. Occasionally can be useful in limited overs but far too inconsistent for someone of his experience.
Because everyone else is even worse. Zimbabwe are terrible and always will be now. Kicking out all there good white players ruined them, not that they were ever a great team, bit they were usually competitive.

SeamUp

International Coach
Williams is better than Chisoro on bowling alone IMO (and bowls the same style at that), even before we account for the fact that he has 26 ODI fifties and a ton at what would be the fourth best batting average in the team. Apparently he's a bit of a difficult personality to coach, and he has underachieved despite having a decent record for a Zimbabwean, so sometimes I almost kind of understand him being left out for other players... until I look at who these players end up being. Zimbabwe could afford to 'give Williams a message' from time to time in some of their stronger eras, but they really can't afford that now. I really hope this little period was just being seen as a chance to have a look at some others and give him a kick up the butt rather than a real signal towards the likely squad for the WC qualifiers, because it'd be madness if he didn't play those.

Moor is a potentially not-awful candidate to open IMO. His ODI record is terrible but he's spent so much of it down at 7/8 where he's totally unsuited; I wouldn't be completely against giving him a crack opening where he could bat more classically like he does in the Test middle order. The thing that makes me sceptical is that his domestic 50 overs record is also actually pretty bad, and he's spent a fair bit of that opening too, but it might be worth a go at this stage. I'd certainly prefer him to seeing more Musakanda, but Mire with a license to hit out is probably still the best bet at this stage. I also think Waller at seven is fine if the top/middle order does it's job as he's a pretty good late innings hitter -- the problem has been the fact that Zimbabwe have lost five early wickets a lot of times lately as to change that role, but I don't think there's anyone who really offers more to the side (sadly).

Masakadza
Mire
Taylor
Ervine
Raza
Williams
Waller
Cremer
Jarvis
Chatara
Blessing

I mean it's not terrible but there are only five batsmen in the lineup you'd expect anything better than cameos from, and the whole lineup sucks against spin.
I think they will back Solomon more. But need to maximise his skills. He isn't even bowling anymore and he may need to, to take pressure off his batting.

Musakanda, Burl, Moor, Waller I'm not so sure. But in saying that I'm not sure they will take risks so close to qualifiers. Musakanda, Burl got into the Zim squad after average A series vs Kenya.

But I wouldn't want them to rule it out. Sean Williams without doubt has to come in. He will also allow them to go back to the 8-3 split.

I still wouldn't mind them risking Murray to maybe open and keep.

There are some that want these guys below rewarded but for what. Some 30s and 40s vs Kenya and a few poles.

Cephas Zhuwao | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo

Tinotenda Mutombodzi | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo

I would say like previous guys with limited success in their FC system at their age I just think they going around in circles.

Back and mould young players like Murray, Mavuta & Ngarava. Their FC system is in shatters really.

Their A team recently

Chibahbha 32
Zhuwao 34
Musakanda 24 (but no 100s in either format domestically but got picked)
Burl 24
Masvaure 30
Maruma 30

Murray 20
Chakabva 31

Mutumbodzi 28
Mavuta 21
W.Masakadza 25
Rugare Magarira 21

Vitori 28
Tiripano 30
Mpofu 33
Ngarava 21
Madziva 27

Carl Mumba must be there and there abouts too. Think he has been injured.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Massive period coming up for Zimbabwe Cricket. Don't think they've toured England since 2003. If the worst happens I just wonder how much longer key senior players will be around for ? Not just senior players but it is quite an old squad in general. Also got to remember this was somewhat of a 'golden generation' at u19 level when they were together in 2002 and 2004 u19 CWC's. As well as some below there was Tatenda Taibu, Sean Ervine, Colin de Grandhomme, Elton Chigumbura at those u19 CWC's

Zimbabwe's last big job - ESPNcricinfo

Cephas Zhuwao 34
Solomon Mire 29
Hamilton Masakadza 35
Brendan Taylor 32
Craig Ervine 33
Sikandar Raza 32
Malcolm Waller 34
Sean Williams 32
Peter Moor 27
Graeme Cremer 32
Tendai Chisoro 30
Kyle Jarvis 29
Tendai Chatara 27
Blessing Muzarabani 22
Richard Ngarava 21

So you got to start thinking Mire, Moor and the seamers (Jarvis, Chatara, Blessing, Ngarava) are the only one's still in their 20s. They going to need those seamers to hang around a while as it doesn't look like much else is out there bar Mumba who has had injury issues.

So it is the batting that will mainly be the overhaul. They will still involve Ryan Burl (24) and Tari Musakanda (24) but they going to have to look to the following too.

Batsmen/Keeper
Eddie Byrom (21) England (Somerset)
Nick Welch (20) England (Surrey 2nds)
Malcolm Lake (24) England (Oxford/MCC Uni)
Ryan Murray (20) South Africa ?
Jeremy Ives (22) South Africa ? (Stellenbosch)
Milton Shumba (18)

Batsmen/Spinners
Liam Roche (19)
Brandon Mavuta (21)
Wesley Madhevere (18) South Africa ?

Spinner
Rugare Mugarira (21)

Seamer

Carl Mumba (23)

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Massive period coming up for Zimbabwe Cricket. Don't think they've toured England since 2003. If the worst happens I just wonder how much longer key senior players will be around for ? Not just senior players but it is quite an old squad in general. Also got to remember this was somewhat of a 'golden generation' at u19 level when they were together in 2002 and 2004 u19 CWC's. As well as some below there was Tatenda Taibu, Sean Ervine, Colin de Grandhomme, Elton Chigumbura at those u19 CWC's

Zimbabwe's last big job - ESPNcricinfo

Cephas Zhuwao 34
Solomon Mire 29
Hamilton Masakadza 35
Brendan Taylor 32
Craig Ervine 33
Sikandar Raza 32
Malcolm Waller 34
Sean Williams 32
Peter Moor 27
Graeme Cremer 32
Tendai Chisoro 30
Kyle Jarvis 29
Tendai Chatara 27
Blessing Muzarabani 22
Richard Ngarava 21

So you got to start thinking Mire, Moor and the seamers (Jarvis, Chatara, Blessing, Ngarava) are the only one's still in their 20s. They going to need those seamers to hang around a while as it doesn't look like much else is out there bar Mumba who has had injury issues.

So it is the batting that will mainly be the overall. They will still involve Ryan Burl (24) and Tari Musakanda (24) but they going to have to look to the following too.

Batsmen/Keeper
Eddie Byrom (21) England (Somerset)
Nick Welch (20) England (Surrey 2nds)
Malcolm Lake (24) England (Oxford/MCC Uni)
Ryan Murray (20) South Africa ?
Jeremy Ives (22) South Africa ? (Stellenbosch)
Milton Shumba (18)

Batsmen/Spinners
Liam Roche (19)
Brandon Mavuta (21)
Wesley Madhevere (18) South Africa ?

Spinner
Rugare Mugarira (21)

Seamer

Carl Mumba (23)
Though they are all in the 30s, I still think almost all of these batsmen will play for another 4-5 years till their late 30s.

brockley

International Captain
Some of Zimbabwe's team will retire according to cricinfo,if Zimbabwe miss qualifying for the World Cup.

SeamUp

International Coach
Though they are all in the 30s, I still think almost all of these batsmen will play for another 4-5 years till their late 30s.
Some of Zimbabwe's team will retire according to cricinfo,if Zimbabwe miss qualifying for the World Cup.
I've also read that somewhere. That is why I brought this up.

You got to hope they hang around for a little while yet.

But if they don't make the WC it may have knock on effect for attracting the odd test game and financially too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I have some pretty grave fears for the side after the current lot of senior players retire. Not many of the best players from the last few Under 19 World Cups (even though these teams largely got rekt) still play cricket in Zimbabwe at all. We could well have a situation in three years or so when Zimbabwe are obviously worse than a couple of non-Test-playing nations.

SeamUp

International Coach
At least Tatenda Taibu is trying to get something positive going.

Last winter the newly formed Rising Stars went to the UK. They going again this winter (The squad is announced this week. You got to sign up for a local club in Liverpool area or surrounds and so far two from the last u19 WC squad have in Zim u19 captain Liam Roche | Zimbabwe Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo & Jayden Schadendorf | Zimbabwe Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo

You probably have to be based in Zimbabwe?

In 2017 the squad was

Batsmen:

Ryan Burl, Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, Taffy Mupariwa(WK), Tafadzwa Tsiga(WK), Tarisai Musakanda, Aarsh Jha

All-rounders:

William Mashinge, Muhammad Faraz Akram

Seam bowlers:

Carl Mumba, Blessing Muzarabani, Tendai Nyamayaro , Mkhululi Nyathi, Richard Ngarava, Kuziva Ziwira

Spin bowlers:

Thamsanqa Nunu, Brandon Mavuta, Rugare Magarira

Flem274*

123/5
maybe rather than mass sackings, not having a madhouse country will go a long way to keeping the best players in a position to play for zimbabwe

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
"Zimbabwe losing? This cannot be! If we sack a good coach and drop our best players, surely that will fix the situation.."

~ ZC suits, every 18 months since the dawn of time

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Really disappointing to read ZC have had another masterstroke.. or perhaps I should just say 'stroke'. This is the end of Zimbabwe for a while.