• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Give Ponting A Bowl!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Or "Brett Lee"
if you are implying what i think you are, you are mistaken. brett lee has been much on the improve, and he concentrates more on his line and length

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr. Ponting said:
if you are implying what i think you are, you are mistaken. brett lee has been much on the improve, and he concentrates more on his line and length
That is true but dont try telling Rick that he wont belve it untill he see's it himself witch is fair enough I suppose.

I though he bowled very well in the West Indies.

Wether Rik Likes it or not Lee is still a good bowler and should not be mentioned in the same sentance as Harmison they bowl compleatly diffrently.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
I'm not mistaken, he's stupidly over-rated in Tests.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
That is true but dont try telling Rick that he wont belve it untill he see's it himself witch is fair enough I suppose.

I though he bowled very well in the West Indies.

Wether Rik Likes it or not Lee is still a good bowler and should not be mentioned in the same sentance as Harmison they bowl compleatly diffrently.
Right, here we go again:

1. It's RIK not Rick
2. Weather you like it or not you cannot fake a Test average of just under 30. As Age_Master once said "Australia can afford to carry him"
3. I wouldn't wish anyone to be compared to Harmison, not even Brett Lee
4. Lee has a Test average of over 40 against England, from about 7 Tests. Is that what I'm supposed to be impressed with?
5. When I talk to Andre he can't have enough things to say about how over-rated he is.
6. Just because you bowl fast doesn't make you a good bowler :P
It's an old arguement commonly replied to by Age or Eclipse with "Whatever you say he's a good bowler", yes he can bowl a yorker in ODIs, but Test cricket is the real deal! On that arguement you will never win.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
thanks for that, eclispe. and no, i won't bother with Rik
few do.

It seems to me that Brett Lee's main strength over the last year is his ability to 'clean up' the tail (if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will throw the stats at me in 3...2...1...).

Now some think that's not much to write home about (we've had a conversation along similar lines where a bowler has been almost berated for picking up 'cheap' wickets) but it's no mean feat.

That ability deserted him at St John's in the second innings but I thought he bowled exceptionally well in that game and other bowlers were disappointing (for disappointing, read exhausted or burned out).

Brett Lee's fine in my books (but you all know I LOVE strike bowlers)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Brett lee has bowled particularly well since the sydney test, sure he didn't take that many wickets in that game but he still bowled exceptionally. the wickets will come (well, we are about to play bangladesh so he probably wont get much of a bowl) he still does have a very good SR in test cricket though. another thing to consider is that he very rarly gets the new ball, which means that he doesn't swing the ball as much untill he gets a crack with an older ball later in the innings.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Right, here we go again:

1. It's RIK not Rick
2. Weather you like it or not you cannot fake a Test average of just under 30. As Age_Master once said "Australia can afford to carry him"
3. I wouldn't wish anyone to be compared to Harmison, not even Brett Lee
4. Lee has a Test average of over 40 against England, from about 7 Tests. Is that what I'm supposed to be impressed with?
5. When I talk to Andre he can't have enough things to say about how over-rated he is.
6. Just because you bowl fast doesn't make you a good bowler :P
It's an old arguement commonly replied to by Age or Eclipse with "Whatever you say he's a good bowler", yes he can bowl a yorker in ODIs, but Test cricket is the real deal! On that arguement you will never win.
What's your problem I am not trying to argue with you ?? You know my views and I know yours I respect your views and for the most part agree with them.

Now Lee had been VERY Ordanary in Test cricket up untill the Sydney test match for quite some time I DONT DISAGREE WITH THAT so stop mentioning the fact he has avraged around 40 in that 18 month period & his poor record against England I dont need any confermation.

I did say he bowled well In the West Indies in test cricket prehaps the best since his operation.

I also said you wont make any judgemnets on Lee untill you see him do well yourself and IMO that is perfectly acceptable.
What did I say that upset you so much??

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
but what did you expect. it's Rik
Considering you've only been posting for a week, a judgement such as that is as shallow as it is ill-informed.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
What's your problem I am not trying to argue with you ?? You know my views and I know yours I respect your views and for the most part agree with them.

Now Lee had been VERY Ordanary in Test cricket up untill the Sydney test match for quite some time I DONT DISAGREE WITH THAT so stop mentioning the fact he has avraged around 40 in that 18 month period & his poor record against England I dont need any confermation.

I did say he bowled well In the West Indies in test cricket prehaps the best since his operation.

I also said you wont make any judgemnets on Lee untill you see him do well yourself and IMO that is perfectly acceptable.
What did I say that upset you so much??
Ok sorry :)