• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why batsmen are preferred over bowlers as captains?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
On Batsmen being Captain

Captains who are batsmen are also liable to display their own shortcomings. First, I think. there is a greater risk that he will not understand the bowlers. Richard Hutton once complained to me that I expected the bowlers to perform like automata, and his criticism was probably just. I had never to charge in twnty-five to thirty yards and hurl the ball as fast as I could at the stumps. More empathy is called for in the batsman-captain. I do not mean that he needs to know a great deal about the mechanics of bowling, though doubtless this would at times be of help. Rather he needs to enter imaginatively into the minds of his bowlers, young and old, quick and slow, and learn how to get the best out of them.

There is also a minor drawback in being the opening batsman. For any opener starts to feel the sign of nerves when the opposition has lost eight or nine wickets, or are likely to declare. For the captain who also opens the batting the transition from concentrating on taking these last wickets (which may require him to spur on tired bowlers and deal with his own and the side's frustration) to the kind of calmness he needs for the next job is stark. Close used to urge me to give myself more chance as a batsman by going n lower in the order, at least in Tests.

On Wicket-keepers being Captain

From a purely tactical viewpoint, the man who is in the best position to see what the bowlers are doing, and to judge the nature of the pitch, is the wicket keeper. He is often the first to know that a bowler is tiring from the way the ball comes into his gloves. What is more he can often advise the bowler if there is something slightly wrong; for example if he is running in too fast or not fast enough, if he seems to be straining. Its often a 'keeper who knows if a slow bowler is bowling too fast or too slow, too short or too far up for a particular pitch or batsman. Titmus, the great Middlesex off-spinner, would constantly check with John Murray behind the stumps on all these aspects of his craft.

Yet remarkably few wicket-keepers have become captains; and many of those who have have quickly given up the job. One problem is simply logistic. The captain needs to talk to his bowlers. The wicket-keeper may be seventy yards away from his opening bowler at the start of his run-up. And though a similar problem confronts a captain who fields at slips, at least he is not encumbered by pads for his repeated sprints from bowler to his fielding place.

The main problem, however, seems to be the degree of concentration that 'keeping entails. Not only do they have to expect to take every delivery, but whenever the ball is struck they have to be prepared for receiving the throw-in, which often means dashing upto the stumps. Taylor was one, who found in a few months of captaining his county side, that one role adversely affected the other; he was no longer keeping at his best. Wicket-keepers make invaluable advisers to the captains; rarely captains themselves. I would rate Rodney Marsh the exception to the rule. For behind the abrasive front was a thoughtful, astute and humorous man, whose players. when he led Western Australia, were totally committed to him. The Australian Board, however, were not. But there preference was not based on technical considerations, such as having a wicket-keeper as a captain. For them he was tarred with the same brush as Ian Chappell, the brush of revolution and extremism. Greg Chappell, with his more dignified air, they could stomach as captain; but they refused to swallow Marsh. This was a major mistake; he might well have proved a more imaginative Test captain than Greg.​
Mike Brearley's The Art of Captaincy

Everytime I browse through this book of Brearley I marvel at the man. This small excerpt is enough to tell why. It is one of the finest cricket books of all time and definitely the greatest on this subject.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Thanks Goughy. Looks like I have to type it out :@
You should be able to convert your scan into editable text. You may have to correct the results but it should be better than typing the whole thing. This link explains how to do it with MS Office.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You should be able to convert your scan into editable text. You may have to correct the results but it should be better than typing the whole thing. This link explains how to do it with MS Office.
I use mac :@

What do you suggest for that ?

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't know. The general product is called optical character recognition (ocr). A quick google for free ocr software on the mac gets you this site but I don't know anything about this site or the programs. The best option is probably to ask a tech-savvy friend who owns a Mac.

Smith

Banned
I use mac :@

What do you suggest for that ?
Replace it with a Windows based one? Macs are too cumbersome for people not accustomed with computers from an early life, as I myself can attest. (Assuming you are indeed the fellow in the picture, that is!)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Replace it with a Windows based one? Macs are too cumbersome for people not accustomed with computers from an early life, as I myself can attest. (Assuming you are indeed the fellow in the picture, that is!)
I dont find it cumbersome at all I have been using apple for more than ten years now and computers for almost twenty which should be longer than most here (mainly because they are so much younger) I think.

Yes I am the old foggy in the picture. :)

Smith

Banned
I dont find it cumbersome at all I have been using apple for more than ten years now and computers for almost twenty which should be longer than most here (mainly because they are so much younger) I think.

Yes I am the old foggy in the picture. :)
So indeed you are a veteran in Macs. My apologies.