Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the appiont of Bracewell as coach of NZ, a good thing?

Is the appiont of Bracewell as coach of NZ, a good thing?

What is your opinion on New Zealand appionting John Bracewell as coach? I think it is a good move and should increase their one day success ratio after his success at one day level at Gloucestershire.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

State Vice-Captain
    I think it is good that he is coach however while fleming is captain it won't work. They don't get on and I can't see Fleming standing down from the power he has which he has to while Bracewell is coach.

I never knew the didnt get on.

Tim
    Thats not true Tamara.
    John Bracewell as far as I know stated that when Fleming played for Middlesex, Bracewell invited him around to his house and they had a great talk about where NZ cricket was at and that he thought Fleming was a born leader.

I think this conflict issue has been blown out of proportion a little..I think the media were just trying to compare Fleming's need for greater power & the fact that Bracewell has had more than his fair share of run-ins with players over the years..but that doesn't mean that Fleming & Bracewell won't get along.

International Debutant
    as the reports show he has a good record as a Limited Overs coach, but has not achieved any measure of success in the longer game.

From memory Braces used to be one of the most aggressive players on the field in all aspects of the game - including giving the opposition players a serve (especially if it was the likes of AB). I doubt that he would have changed a great deal & would still speak his mind.

The new manager / coach relationship would seem to giving him more of a stand alone role without Crowe as manager. I think it will be very telling as to what role he has regarding team selection. If he expands his influence into the selection process then there are a few players I can think of that would be in line for a serve or two, and if they did not shape up he would more than likely ship them out!!

And I don't have a problem with that if it gets the message across to some potential 'prima donnas' in the squad.

I am curious as to what his record is like regarding the development & introduction of new / younger players. I think several of the recent squad have suffered from early intros & then being left on the side & unable to reach any consistency.

Tim
    Apparently Bracewell has a similar philosophy to that of John Wright when it comes to fielding.

You need to have 11 fielders that are capable of producing moments of brilliance.
    So I guess Lou Vincent will be pushed for a first team place by Bracewell because when he goes out to bat he will have +15 to his name with the runs he has saved in the field.

As far as I can see the NZ pace-bowlers are the best fielders in the game..I mean Tuffey & Oram are BIG men but boy they can throw themselves around & pull off some stunning catches.

International Debutant
    stands to reason as Braces always gave a 110% effort in his game and got very dirty on any team mate that made a half arsed effort when he (Braces) was bowling.

I don't have a problem with his apparent philosophy re fielding efforts from the team - it's been a traditional trength of NZ cricket that has not been exploited enough IMO.

Nor do I have a problem re Vincent's continued selection, so long as they give him a settled role re his batting and the time to work it out b4 they change on him again.

Oram has the background as a soccer goalkeeper to throw himself about and have good reflexes / hands etc. But I have been very impressed with Tuffey since I saw him in the Home series v India. IMO the selectors erred in dropping him so early in the WC & persisted with Adams for too long. Tuffey's efforts in the SL tour showed that he is becoming a genuine early wicket taker home or away.

I will be intrested to see if he is prepared to 'carry' Cairns in his teams if Cairns is unable to bowl - and I admit I will be a touch disappointed if he does. Don't get me wrong - a fit Cairns is a match winner with bat, ball or in the field - but if he is not 100% then he should not be there on reputation alone - he must have current form with the bat to warrant his selection ahead of others - even newbies!

I think anzac sumed it up correctly.

State Regular
    Sorry to get off topic .... But any views on John Dyson who has been appointed to coach Sri Lanka?

Hard to say really.

Tim
    What is Dyson's background as a coach?

State Regular
    Originally posted by Tim
    What is Dyson's background as a coach?

I understand that he coached NSW for awhile.

International Vice-Captain
    i think he did. not sure what years though

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    If John Dyson as a coach is anything like John Dyson as a player, he could be good for Sri Lanka.

He was one of the more solid batsmen of the late 70's 'Packer' era and I wouldn't think that any flamboyance is likely to have crept into his coaching.

Face it, Sri Lanka could do with a bit of solidity of late.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by luckyeddie

Face it, Sri Lanka could do with a bit of solidity of late. [/B]
    How so?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information