• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Australian Domestic Season Thread 2009/2010

Andre

International Regular
Thought we treated Thornley pretty badly this season tbh. He should have played much more games this season than he did.

Or maybe I'm just bias 'cause I really like Dom (rangas have gotta stick together and all) while I really dislike Lambert.
On the surface he was treated pretty badly, but he just absolutely could not hit the ball off the square in any form of the game until after Christmas, so I absolutely understand why he wasn't picked. Just looks worse cause it was at the beginning of the summer rather than the middle or end where people hadn't had much chance to see him play. But at the time, the selectors were spot on, sometimes you just gotta make those calls.

Lambert, well, he's had chances, but he's never quite got off the ground. He absolutely dominates grade (more with the bat than the ball) and he's never got huge chances with the bat at state level despite his mountains of runs for Fairfield.

Sylvester

State Captain
****ley probably should look at moving. Hes now behind Clark, Copeland, Starc, Hazelwood, possibly Bracken and Lee as well. If the latter retire that still means he needs 2 injuries to make the side so he probably won't get regular game time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the surface he was treated pretty badly, but he just absolutely could not hit the ball off the square in any form of the game until after Christmas, so I absolutely understand why he wasn't picked. Just looks worse cause it was at the beginning of the summer rather than the middle or end where people hadn't had much chance to see him play. But at the time, the selectors were spot on, sometimes you just gotta make those calls.

Lambert, well, he's had chances, but he's never quite got off the ground. He absolutely dominates grade (more with the bat than the ball) and he's never got huge chances with the bat at state level despite his mountains of runs for Fairfield.
Oh, didn't know that about Thornley and his form. Although I didn't think the non-selection of him at the start of the season was bad, the opposite in fact. But as the season went on and we continued to try to play as many all-rounders as possible I thought we should be picking a guy who has a reasonably solid batting record instead of Lambert, who as you point out seems to make a 100 every other week in grade but never really steps up at State level.

Also, does anyone know what relation Jackson Bird is to Aaron? Does he have a similar action? Not throwing him up as a NSW player, just curious.

Andre

International Regular
Oh, didn't know that about Thornley and his form. Although I didn't think the non-selection of him at the start of the season was bad, the opposite in fact. But as the season went on and we continued to try to play as many all-rounders as possible I thought we should be picking a guy who has a reasonably solid batting record instead of Lambert, who as you point out seems to make a 100 every other week in grade but never really steps up at State level.

Also, does anyone know what relation Jackson Bird is to Aaron? Does he have a similar action? Not throwing him up as a NSW player, just curious.
No relation, nice and smooth action.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not a bad day of cricket to finish the Shield season for four teams.

What an awesome game for Smith. Not very often a 20 year old takes 7 wickets, and scores a hundred in the same game. Prefer he doesn't make his debut in New Zealand just yet, give him some time to settle into ODI and T20 cricket.

Victoria running red hot into the final now. How could Tasmania have ever let Wright go? Been a huge asset for Victoria even if he is injured 50% of the time. Tasmania simply woeful today with the bat. Such a terrible top-order and then to have Krejza at 7 is asking for trouble. With Marsh gone next season, going to expose Tasmania more so.

Top_Cat

Steve Smith 7-fer.

Wait for the media to get completely and utterly worked up about it.

Happy to see him do well - just give him time to develop as a bowler before expecting too much from him with the ball.
For the first time ever, reckon I have to disagree (faints). I'm not saying pick him right now but I reckon Hauritz should be mindful of this bloke breathing down his neck. It's not just the figures, it's that he's been brought into the fold as an international cricketer, mooted as the next big thing, etc. and instead of being overawed, his game has stepped up a couple of levels. That's a player you want in your side I reckon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So glad Smith took wickets, actually. Now it'll be slightly less ridiculous when he makes his Test debut as a frontline bowler - the selectors at least have *some* justification.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the first time ever, reckon I have to disagree (faints). I'm not saying pick him right now but I reckon Hauritz should be mindful of this bloke breathing down his neck. It's not just the figures, it's that he's been brought into the fold as an international cricketer, mooted as the next big thing, etc. and instead of being overawed, his game has stepped up a couple of levels. That's a player you want in your side I reckon.
Steve Smith is not a spin bowler at the moment.

He has a lot of promise, but if he plays it *has* to be for his batting (in test matches). I would be extremely concerned with him as our 4th bowler at this stage. Give him a couple of years to work on his accuracy and variation first. IMO if Watto wasn't in such good form he'd be a shoe in for the allrounder spot.

Top_Cat

Steve Smith is not a spin bowler at the moment.

He has a lot of promise, but if he plays it *has* to be for his batting (in test matches). I would be extremely concerned with him as our 4th bowler at this stage. Give him a couple of years to work on his accuracy and variation first. IMO if Watto wasn't in such good form he'd be a shoe in for the allrounder spot.
No doubt bashing an SA batting line-up with a number 8 at 6 isn't that impressive. It's all the other things that go with it including the quickfire ton in the first dig. Couple that with his fielding, that he appears generally unfussed even when guys are going after him, that he's turning the ball more these days, etc. and it's an already impressive package that will likely keep getting better.

No kidding, if this forum was active when Warne was picked, everyone would have been slating the selectors for picking him, saying he should be nowhere near the Test side, that Australia should have stuck with Greg Matthews/Peter Taylor, etc. Sometimes a guy's aura and body language are enough to pick him, even in a Test side. And Smith looks like a champion in the making in my book, ticking every box as he goes. And I gather that the selectors are thinking along similar lines because he's being given every opportunity to show what he's got.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
I'd replace lambert with keen.
Aaron bird looks like it could be the end.
Think ****ley and cameron signed on for the next few seasons.
Brakken only good for one dayers and t20 now same with lee.
If anyone goes it will be brakken tho.
Obviously nsw want clark even as captain,but don't let him play one dayers.
I think nsw should do what they can retain thornley,his grade numbers not so good.
Release casson,bank on o'keefe and the youngsters.
Give nic maddison a contract.
Move on from warner probably wants too much from the selectors and money wise.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Gotta love fatty smith anyway tho, wag!

Kylez, just wondering why do you go for South Australia? You don't seem to be from s.a and we are pretty ****, what's there haha?
I was born there :ph34r:, and ever since I was like old enough to really get into domestic cricket I took a real liking for the redbacks, don't know why just did.

Don't really like NSW either, so even though SA lose all the time I'll keep supporting them :).

Anyway thats a pathetic end to the season really for the redbacks. SA should really look at bringing over ****ley, would be a good buy IMO.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
No kidding, if this forum was active when Warne was picked, everyone would have been slating the selectors for picking him, saying he should be nowhere near the Test side, that Australia should have stuck with Greg Matthews/Peter Taylor, etc. Sometimes a guy's aura and body language are enough to pick him, even in a Test side.
Just yes

Feel this is CW's achillies heel actually, judging players purely on their first-class record. OH NOEZ, HE AVERAGES 31.86 AWAY FROM THE ROAD, CAN'T PICK HIM.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Mostly agree with Quentin Hull's comments on Simpson. It is a major boost for the strength of Queensland cricket if Cameron Boyce can start placing some pressure on Simpson’s role within the side.

I have never been a fan of Simpson's position in the Queensland Sheffield Shield side, and yet I cannot justify dropping him, not until Boyce proves his worth. Simpson has averaged 27.29 this season compared with 12.38in 08/09 and generally just looked more reliable with the bat. His bowling has always been about playing a role, keeping things tight whilst giving the seamers a rest. Whilst his leadership qualities are obvious.

If Simpson can lead the Bulls to victory it will firm his position for the next 12 months regardless of individual performance. Don't agree that Boyce should play in the final, weakens the one major strength of the Bull's lineup (pace). Boyce will get his chances next season.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
At least the Final isn't at the Junction Oval - flatter than the Pacific Highway.

Not that I think the good guys will win.

I don't think our attack is rounded enough to take 20 wickets for under 600 on what will no doubt be a belter.

brockley

International Captain
Floros and dunk called up qld scraping the bottom of the barrel,not that their bad just qlld running out of batting options.
No wonder they want warner,maybe qld may buy a few batsmen.
Looked at qld averages in shield hartley 40's,carlseldine,townsend,broad low 30's,simpson,battiicotto and kruger low 20's phillipson and reardon teens.:wacko:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hartley has really worked on his batting this season, which has been nothing less than phenomenal, especially when compared to the rest of the QLD bats.

However, you forgot our star batsman, Feldman who is currently averaging 56. :D

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Floros and dunk called up qld scraping the bottom of the barrel,not that their bad just qlld running out of batting options.
No wonder they want warner,maybe qld may buy a few batsmen.
Looked at qld averages in shield hartley 40's,carlseldine,townsend,broad low 30's,simpson,battiicotto and kruger low 20's phillipson and reardon teens.:wacko:
But they've still managed to make the Shield final.Not sure how but go the Bulls anyway.