• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Robin Uthappa Make a Comeback

Can Robin Uthappa Make a Comeback?

• Total voters

masterblaster

International Captain
When Robin Uthappa burst onto the scene, I thought he was a really talented young batsman headed for promising things. However, like a lot of young Indian players gaining some degree of success and being offerred fat IPL contracts, he seemingly got a bit arrogant and lost his way.

With strong competition for places in the Indian ODI squad, is there a chance for Robin Uthappa to make a comeback? Should he now be regarded as an IPL only player and should he just make his career income playing domestic cricket and IPL? Would a stint in County Cricket do him and his career good?

Will he make it or is he just another wasted talent? It will be interesting to see what the people here think.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think he's far too talented to while away his time in the domestic curcuit. His problems were application of the mind and the inability to play a backfoot game, and he seems to have taken the first steps towards hopefully sorting those out with his 3 centuries since being appointed skipper of the Karnataka Ranji Team. And ironically, the taskmaster in Vijay Mallya might just see that he stays at the crease in the shorter formats of the game too. He's definitely going to make a comeback, in the T20 and 50 over formats atleast. I'm not impressed by Rohit Sharma in what he's displayed so far in the limited overs games, and honestly believe that an Uthappa with his thinking sorted out could do better than that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
AWTA....

Btw, how come Ian Bell isn't there among the EWS' enigmas!!:ph34r:
Because he wasn't that bad at Test level. It's a team of players who were ridiculously good at domestic level but failed in Test cricket for reasons pretty much unknown reasons, despite being given somewhat of a run (or several extremely short runs, in Ryan Hinds's case).

Bell's somewhat of an enigma in that he's technically awesome and possesses all the shots despite having a mediocre record, but he hasn't been a resounding failure at Test level so he wouldn't really fit in with the spirit of the team.

FTR, I actually think every player on that list could have forged successful Test careers in different circumstances other than perhaps Geraint Jones and Daren Ganga.

Probably shouldn't derail this thread though; sorry guys. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Plenty of time for Uthappa to return.

He definitely got too big for his own boots, but I'm sure we'll see him in the World Cup squad for 2011.

ret

International Debutant
a good performance in the IPL will make it easier for him to make a comeback .... his fielding is helpful too .... hopefully he will sort things out soon

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Don't be surprised if Uthappa returns in place of Rohit Sharma soon.
AWTA..looking at the composition of the Indian ODI team, one of Rohit or Raina will have to bat at #6 while the other will come beofer him in the top order..Raina has done well so far coming at # or #5. So, i would imagine that for now Rohit,whenever he plays,he would be stuck in that position. With this in mind,i certainly wouldn't be surprised if Robin gets picked ahead of Rohit for that slot as his game quite suits the role far more than Rohit's..obviously Robin has to make the squad first,which in all probablity he will sooner rather than later if his form is anything to go by.

irfan

State Captain
No surprise on who I picked for this poll. :)

For my views on Oothapam, go see the Cricketers who wasted their talents thread

Precambrian

Banned
Uthappa will come back. He has talent but needs to keep his head on his shoulders. I think fame got into his head, and he started neglecting his technique.

Once he corrects this most obvious flaw of his, ie, the idiotic shuffle across the stumps, he is not going to be anywhere near the International circuit, (read test cricket and ODIs)

adharcric

International Coach
Uthappa's talented but there are several other talented batsmen in India. Someone like Virat Kohli, for example, is probably a superior batsman and is absolutely lighting up the domestic one-day tournament. He's probably in line for a call-up if Rohit Sharma continues the poor form.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Simply put, there's a queue of batsmen for few batting places in the Indian team. Uthappa is way behind. He shouldn't be batting as a lower-order blaster- that has ruined him totally, as we saw him playing stupid shot after stupid shot, often playing out dot balls before getting out. He ended up being more or less as good as a bowler who can bat. He should go back to where he belongs, at the top of the order, and play for big innings. We see him doing a good job as Karnataka captain, scoring heavily for some time. He should stay at that position and establish himself as an opener- but Sehwag, Gambhir and Vijay are the top three at present.

adharcric

International Coach
Simply put, there's a queue of batsmen for few batting places in the Indian team. Uthappa is way behind. He shouldn't be batting as a lower-order blaster- that has ruined him totally, as we saw him playing stupid shot after stupid shot, often playing out dot balls before getting out. He ended up being more or less as good as a bowler who can bat. He should go back to where he belongs, at the top of the order, and play for big innings. We see him doing a good job as Karnataka captain, scoring heavily for some time. He should stay at that position and establish himself as an opener- but Sehwag, Gambhir and Vijay are the top three at present.
Since you mentioned Sehwag, Gambhir and Vijay, I assume you're talking about test cricket, in which Uthappa is far from a legitimate contender. You also mentioned Uthappa being misused as a lower-order blaster, so I guess you're talking about one-day cricket. Uthappa should be ahead of Vijay as a one-day opener but even then, he has no shot of a call-up at that position with Sehwag, Tendulkar and Gambhir around. Uthappa's chances are also hurt by the presence of the big-hitting Yusuf Pathan in the lower middle-order.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't be surprised if Vijay is in line for opening an Indian ODI innings. With so many ODIs played by the Indians, including several exhibition matches, they can rest Tendulkar for important assignments (like the one coming up) during which they can't afford to lose him to injury. He should play solely as an opener, as that's best for him, and we see him in good form opening these days.