• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand team 1998 - 2008

Craig

World Traveller
Following from the Australian, English, and West Indies teams, pick your New Zealand team for this 10 year period. It is for Tests, but feel free to chuck in a ODI squad if you wish.

1/ MH Richardson
2/ MJ Horne
3/ SP Fleming*
4/ NJ Astle
5/ CD McMillan
6/ CL Cairns
7/ BB McCullum+
8/ DJ Nash
9/ DL Vettori
10/ SE Bond
11/ SB O'Connor

Probably struggling here a little bit. Couldn't think of a decent opener to go with Richardson, I thought about Lou Vincent, then he wasn't a real opener, so I thought of Horne. Perhaps Vincent was a better choice. Guys like Craig Cumming and Aaron Redmond didn't perform/weren't good enough, Jamie How hasn't made the most of his chances and Tim McIntosh has played just two Tests and Mathew Sinclair or Stephen Fleming were not openers. And the less said about Matt Bell the better. It's crazy, I can easily recall seeing Horne's Test century v Australia in Hobart all the way back in 97/98 :mellow:

The middle order picks its self for mine, neither Ross Taylor or Jesse Ryder (TBF they haven't played a lot) have done anything to get in, even though I think Craig McMillan wasted his talent he still is worthy of a spot in my team and I think Nathan Astle is a no-brainer either..

Cairns, obviously gets in. I went with McCullum over Adam Parore is an interesting one, McCullum is very reliable with the gloves and IMO when he pulls his head in, has more talent with the bat so batting 6 or 7 is not an issue for mine. I went for Nash, a quality all-rounder who's all-rounder who was robbed by injury, and the no. 8 position suits him fine. Could easily be replaced by Jacob Oram and that would be a fair pick. Vettori, no-brainer, nearly 300 Test wickets, I know a couple of Kiwi posters on here don't rate him, but he had to be in there. Bond, well, another no-brainer (GAGF ICL). I also went for Shayne O'Connor, a quality left armer seam who could get the ball to swing back in and is another who lost his career to injury (he is only 35 :mellow: ). Wasn't sure on who else to pick, maybe Chris Martin if you wanted to go left field :ph34r:

There you go, I put my money where my mouth is and had a go, some questionable picks perhaps, and I could accept it if people disagreed. A few of them came from the era when I first got into cricket and as I got older I could remember the careers of Nash and O'Connor for example. I'm not sure if any of the younger Kiwi posters on here (and any non-Kiwis) will remember the careers of a few guys I picked, but feel free to pick otherwise (nor did I rely in stats when picking this side) and call me out on it.

So I have got my bit in before PEWS comes in here and rips my side to pieces :p :ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin over Nash. Ryder,Taylor, Styris or McMillan could all have that spot at 4 or 5 (with Astle moving up or down). Possibly even boot O'Connor out for Oram too.

At their peaks an attack of
Bond
Cairns
Franklin
Oram
Vettori
McMillan/Astle/Styris

Would be handy enough and would mean the batting all the way down to 10 is very very high quality.

Craig

World Traveller
Franklin flew under my radar a little bit there, could add depth with the bat. I'm interested in the selection of Ryder (made his Test debut about 6 or 7 months ago) would make it in and Taylor has been inconsistent to an extent.

Go on then, pick an opener to open with Richardson.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin flew under my radar a little bit there, could add depth with the bat. I'm interested in the selection of Ryder (made his Test debut about 6 or 7 months ago) would make it in and Taylor has been inconsistent to an extent.

Go on then, pick an opener to open with Richardson.
Honestly? The second best opener we've had has been Fleming yet that is NOT his position so you have to go with the next best option which is Horne.

As for Ryder and Taylor they are both immensely talented players as Taylor proved in Australia and vs. England (not so much on debut against SA or against Bangers or WI arguably easier teams and maybe even easier conditions) and Ryder has only improved. Their possible inclusion in my team would be because frankly they are every bit as talented as the likes of McMillan and even without experience could fight for their spot in the team.

Whomever is doing best most recently before a hypothetical 1998-2008 matchup should get the spot and maybe even Astle would have to worry about his spot though I'd have him above all the others easy.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Would be my team.

Nash is light years ahead of Franklin with both bat and ball IMO.

1) Richardson
2) Bryan Young
3) Fleming
4) Astle
5) McMillan
6) Parore +
7) Cairns
8) Oram
9) Nash
10) Vettori
11) Bond

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would be my team.

Nash is light years ahead of Franklin with both bat and ball IMO.

1) Richardson
2) Bryan Young
3) Fleming
4) Astle
5) McMillan
6) Parore +
7) Cairns
8) Oram
9) Nash
10) Vettori
11) Bond
Disagree with the ball (well Franklin right now probably but he WAS very good before injury and maybe will reach those standards again). And he has his moments with the bat though with Vettori at 9 or 10 your batting is about as long as it gets.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Disagree with the ball (well Franklin right now probably but he WAS very good before injury and maybe will reach those standards again). And he has his moments with the bat though with Vettori at 9 or 10 your batting is about as long as it gets.
I'm talking solely Test cricket here where I tend to think Nash has it way over Franklin. Are you?

Yeah, with Vettori at 10, it's got incredible batting depth.

I'd say an ODI team of the past 10 years would look very different with Twose, Allott and others coming in.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ahh geez, my mistake then. I was going on his career record and I always enjoyed watching him bat.
Yeah NZ openers blow, how about we just make Flynn open would probably do better than Horne. Though Richardson and Flynn opening could be soooooo potentially painful to watch.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah NZ openers blow, how about we just make Flynn open would probably do better than Horne. Though Richardson and Flynn opening could be soooooo potentially painful to watch.
Franklin is a better Test bowler IMO. Far greater strike bowler anyway.
How about we just open with Nash or Franklin and we can then include them both :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
If Flynn could learn to score a bit more quickly he would be a joy to watch.
I enjoy watching him once he gets going because he is a wonderful stroke player, yet when conditions are tough he knuckles down and becomes a hideous scrapper, and Richardson is Richardson!

Nutter

U19 Debutant
I'll pick the ODI side...

Astle
McCullum
Ryder
Taylor
McMillan
Cairns
Oram
Vettori
Mills