• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boycott, does he have something against windies players ?

sammy2

Banned
I just heard him leaving out lara, and chanderpaul from his world 11 from 03 to today.

I know alot of older players are bitter towards windies but he seems to be at an extreme stage.

Evermind

International Debutant
The poor man's name is "Boycott" and he's about as well liked as Gary Neville. Throw him a bone here. Give him a break. Cut him some slack.

sammy2

Banned
He is a big asshole, how can anyone making a world 11 from 03 leave out two of the greatest players to play cricket ? Itz just insulting.

Indipper

State Regular
Chanders is my favourite player these days, but one of the greatest ever? Oh my.

And neither of those two was so invincible in the last five years that he would automatically walk into an XI of that time.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
He is a big asshole, how can anyone making a world 11 from 03 leave out two of the greatest players to play cricket ? Itz just insulting.
That's a very extreme response - there have been some pretty good middle order batsmen in that period. Personally, I don't think its ridiculous to leave either of them out if you're only considering performances over the past five years - they both have cases and would be good selections, but other players also have cases. But obviously that's an explanation with a stupid amount of perspective, so I guess you do have to conclude he's a racist... 8-)

Surprised ***hole isn't filtered by the way.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Lara and Chanderpaul would definitely be around the XI from 2003 to present yet neither have been head and shoulders over everyone else. Chanderpaul since 2007 definitely and Lara stopped playing so that probably counts against him.

If they didn't make the top two XI's I'd be all for Boycott's lynching.

Indipper

State Regular
What else does he need to do to become great ?
Perhaps four more years like the last two? His record isn't much to look at really and TBH I have problems seeing him in the same category as some second-tier Windies heros like Kanhai so putting him up there with Headley or Sobers would be seriously stretching it.

sammy2

Banned
That's a very extreme response - there have been some pretty good middle order batsmen in that period. Personally, I don't think its ridiculous to leave either of them out if you're only considering performances over the past five years - they both have cases and would be good selections, but other players also have cases. But obviously that's an explanation with a stupid amount of perspective, so I guess you do have to conclude he's a racist... 8-)

Surprised ***hole isn't filtered by the way.

He had ponting, dravid ( who has been garbage recently ), sachin, kalis, pieterson, and yousuf as middle order batsmen.
Its hard leaving out lara from any team, he is a runs machine, and chanderpaul can bat for days, his average time batting is well above 6 hours. Think about that, no other player in world cricket has chanders stickability. If you were to make the perfect batsman he would chanderpaul, alot of people don't like watching him play because they already know his story, A ton not out or above 50 not out.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He had ponting, dravid ( who has been garbage recently ), sachin, kalis, pieterson, and yousuf as middle order batsmen.
Its hard leaving out lara from any team, he is a runs machine, and chanderpaul can bat for days, his average time batting is well above 6 hours. Think about that, no other player in world cricket has chanders stickability. If you were to make the perfect batsman he would chanderpaul, alot of people don't like watching him play because they already know his story, A ton not out or above 50 not out.
Since 2003

Ponting 6504 runs @ 63.76 SR 60.20
Dravid 4895 runs @ 50.98 SR 43.24
Tendulkar 3618 runs @ 47.60 SR 52.67
Kallis 5533 runs @ 58.24 SR 48.42
Pietersen 4039 runs @ 50.48 SR 63.36
Yousuf 3671 runs @ 63.29 SR 57.54

Lara 4381 runs @ 60.01 SR 62.87
Chanderpaul 4305 runs @ 55.90 SR 46.18

But saying that Dravid had a horrible 2008 and before that was averaging probably in the 60's during that period. And Lara has also been absent since 2006 which probably weighed quite heavily upon his selection. So really you would just be looking for Chanderpaul's inclusion in the team. All of these players we have mentioned deserve to be in the team but there are only so many spots and for every Boycott choosing Tendulkar or Pietersen over Chanderpaul there will be another giving Shiv the tick.

sammy2

Banned
Perhaps four more years like the last two? His record isn't much to look at really and TBH I have problems seeing him in the same category as some second-tier Windies heros like Kanhai so putting him up there with Headley or Sobers would be seriously stretching it.
As micheal holding said " there is absolutely nothing wrong with that record"

you don't get your average hovering at 50 by just playing good for two years.
Alot of people forgot chanderpaul use to bowl more than chris gayle does today early in his career, he was the captain aswell, I think those glitches resulted in him not being way above his current ranking.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
As micheal holding said " there is absolutely nothing wrong with that record"

you don't get your average hovering at 50 by just playing good for two years.
Alot of people forgot chanderpaul use to bowl more than chris gayle does today early in his career, he was the captain aswell, I think those glitches resulted in him not being way above his current ranking.
More to do with him not being able to carry on for the first half of his career. Always used to get injured or some other thing. Explains his high number of 50s and only 20 100s compared to Lara's similarly high number of 50s but 34 100s.

sammy2

Banned
Since 2003

Ponting 6504 runs @ 63.76 SR 60.20
Dravid 4895 runs @ 50.98 SR 43.24
Tendulkar 3618 runs @ 47.60 SR 52.67
Kallis 5533 runs @ 58.24 SR 48.42
Pietersen 4039 runs @ 50.48 SR 63.36
Yousuf 3671 runs @ 63.29 SR 57.54

Lara 4381 runs @ 60.01 SR 62.87
Chanderpaul 4305 runs @ 55.90 SR 46.18

But saying that Dravid had a horrible 2008 and before that was averaging probably in the 60's during that period. And Lara has also been absent since 2006 which probably weighed quite heavily upon his selection. So really you would just be looking for Chanderpaul's inclusion in the team. All of these players we have mentioned deserve to be in the team but there are only so many spots and for every Boycott choosing Tendulkar or Pietersen over Chanderpaul there will be another giving Shiv the tick.
yes he did say lara couldn't be included because of that, but he still had warne and mcgrath in there ofcourse. So thats why I didn't buy his excuse. But your point is well taken. Those averages speak for themself, good post.

Matt79

Global Moderator
"no player in history has chanders stickability"??

What a ridiculous comment. Shiv is a great batsman, but he's hardly accomplished anything unique. There have been several other batsmen who were at least as good as Shiv in terms of consistency and crease occupancy. Not many have done it better than he has over the past couple of years, but there have been some, and there have been many more that have roughly equalled it.

As I said, and as the stats put up by Athlai show, each of the batsmen, including Yousuf, had a case for their inclusion, and its really a matter of interpretation and opinion as to which of the excellent choices anyone selects. I don't see the justification for, or the point of, whinging about someone having a different opinion than yours, and think its poor form to allege that it's proof of some kind of conspiracy.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
"Boycott, does he have something against windies players ?"

ignoring all the other far better researched and thought out answers, my first thought was
'yes because they are exciting...'