Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: South African Domestic Season 2008/9

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Lions 296 (Cook 90, Neil Mac 76, van Zyl 4/36), Cobras 434 (Puttick 174, Levi 57, de Wet 3/74), Lions 242 (Cook 59, Nel 51, Henderson 4/64), Cobras 107/4 (Levi 46*, de Wet 2/9) – Cobras win

Warriors 162 (Arno Jacobs 42, Abbot 5/18), Dolphins 123 (Smit 36, Olivier 5/38), Warriors 358/8d (Smuts 77, Jacobs, Arno and Davey 64, Smit 4/88), Dolphins 166 (Khan 43, Olivier 6/59) – Warriors win

Eagles 178 (Rossouw 109, Morne 6/43), Titans 210 (Snijman 45, Pietersen 5/47), Eagles 169 (Bailey 44, Morne 6/48), Titans 139/0 (Kuhn 78*) – Titans win

Barring a miracle, the Titans have once again secured the SuperSport title.
    A few notes:

Mario Olivier shows up for his obligatory AWESOME performance for the season, only to fade back into injury or inconsistency or whatever.

Funny how Morne comes back and takes a crap-load of wickets when he's playing SSS. Either it's a testament on our poor domestic level or he can't cut it at the top level, or maybe a bit of both.

I'm liking Rilee Rossouw. Excellent temperament given how badly the Eagles collapsed.

After all this time, I've never seen Friedel de Wet bowl. What type of bowler is he? Is he tall? I heard he has some pace with him. Judging by his figures, he keeps it pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    A few notes:

Mario Olivier shows up for his obligatory AWESOME performance for the season, only to fade back into injury or inconsistency or whatever.

Funny how Morne comes back and takes a crap-load of wickets when he's playing SSS. Either it's a testament on our poor domestic level or he can't cut it at the top level, or maybe a bit of both.

I'm liking Rilee Rossouw. Excellent temperament given how badly the Eagles collapsed.

After all this time, I've never seen Friedel de Wet bowl. What type of bowler is he? Is he tall? I heard he has some pace with him. Judging by his figures, he keeps it pretty tight.
    No. Maybe 5'11, similar height to Steyn I would guess. Bowls with a high arm action, quick (140kph average speed), doesn't swing the ball big but he has a very good bouncer. Unlucky that he has been injured for his performances since coming back have been excellent. I did read that one problem is that it is thought that de Wet struggles on flat surfaces and doesn't have enough variety. Good thing for South African cricket though is that he can't be lost to them, as he can't get a work permit to play in England.

I think with Morne, I would say a bit of both and it's not like the Eagles haven't got former internationals in their batting line-up. In regard to Rossouw, hopefully he pushes on and doesn't suffer second season or third season blues like Elgar. I've seen a bit of him and his still got a few faults in his game, gets done with the inswinger too many times but his played some serious knocks under pressure this season. Which is a good sign.

Olivier is a strange one, for even when he occasionally plays for Border, he doesn't do much. I think his last first class game for Border he got smashed but he turns up at his franchise, takes ten wickets in the game and it was only a shortwhile ago he took 10 in one innings for the Warriors.

No. Maybe 5'11, similar height to Steyn I would guess. Bowls with a high arm action, quick (140kph average speed), doesn't swing the ball big but he has a very good bouncer. Unlucky that he has been injured for his performances since coming back have been excellent. I did read that one problem is that it is thought that de Wet struggles on flat surfaces and doesn't have enough variety. Good thing for South African cricket though is that he can't be lost to them, as he can't get a work permit to play in England.
    I think I'd place Juan Theron ahead of him though in terms of "next in line" but ahead of CJ. I'll forgive his diabolical action given how consistent he's been in all competitions these past 2 years.

CJ has really struggled with his line recently. Reminds me a bit of Morne but without the pace.

I think with Morne, I would say a bit of both and it's not like the Eagles haven't got former internationals in their batting line-up.
    True true. Well he has some time before the next Test. Let's hope he starts off the next season with a bang.

In regard to Rossouw, hopefully he pushes on and doesn't suffer second season or third season blues like Elgar. I've seen a bit of him and his still got a few faults in his game, gets done with the inswinger too many times but his played some serious knocks under pressure this season. Which is a good sign.
    Given the Titans attack was mostly pace, he looks like he's making progress. All those pace bowlers are able to move the ball around.

I think I'd place Juan Theron ahead of him though in terms of "next in line" but ahead of CJ. I'll forgive his diabolical action given how consistent he's been in all competitions these past 2 years.
    Theron hasn't had much of a season this year, has he?
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Theron hasn't had much of a season this year, has he?
    He's been consistent in all competitions averaging 27 with the ball in SSS and MTN. Had an excellent Pro20 averaging 16 at an ecomony rate of 5.

Parnell gets a contract:
    SuperCricket

Fantastic news for the kid. He bowled well in the 20/20 match making Mitchell Johnson look clumsy with the bat.

Parnell gets a contract:
    SuperCricket

Fantastic news for the kid. He bowled well in the 20/20 match making Mitchell Johnson look clumsy with the bat.
    Good. Be worthwhile for Parnell’s development if he could have a stint in county cricket, get lots of overs under his belt and a chance to show he can hold a bat.

Seems to have lost his ability to swing the ball, as he now favours bowling just short of a length but his speeds are very encouraging for a 19 year old. Already touching 145kph…

Obus Pienaar is another left arm seamer amongst the wickets. The 19 year old starred with bat and against England U19’s just recently and today his taken four wickets in only his second franchise game.

Day 1 SuperSport scorecards...

Lions 317/4 (Virus 119*, Vilas 83*, Mbhalati 2/35), Titans

Warriors 237 (Arno Jacobs 59, de Bruyn 54, D Jacobs 52, Henderson 7/64), Cobras 27/2 (Birch 2/7)

Dolphins 132 (Abbott 50*, Pienaar 4/46), Eagles 170/7 (Rossouw 68*, Abbott 3/23)

Human (Boeta Dippenaar) - "He bowled one particular spell against us in the SuperSport Series this year that could have been bowled by Wasim Akram, it was that good"

"Left arm around the wicket, swinging it both ways in the mid 140s, it was awesome. He has phenomenal talent and huge potential, no doubt about that, but he is still only 19-years-old."

Dippenaar was speaking about Wayne Parnell, the recent recipient of a national contract. And note that he said "BUT he is still only 19" rather than "AND he is still only 19."

Cricket South Africa announced Parnell on the national contract list with some fanfare. The news was received with considerably less fanfare amongst the vast majority of the cricket community. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Parnell, either as a cricketer or a person.

He has worked harder than most through the teen years to reach this stage in his career, living with a 'foster' family in PE to pursue his dreams and then captaining and playing with distinction up until SA under-19 level. He deserves success and as much nurturing and encouragement as possible. Whether he deserves a national contract, however, has been the subject of much consternation and eyebrow raising.

A national contract is, afterall, the ultimate goal for a provincial cricketer as it offers both the chance of glory and also an opportunity to lay the foundations for a secure financial future. But ever since national contracts were introduced they have been regarded as rewards for perseverance and consistent performances at provincial level followed by a minimum number of games for South Africa. That number always used to be six one-day internationals or three test matches. Parnell has played two Pro20 matches and one ODI.

But there is another way of looking at whether he 'deserves' the contract. "He hasn't even had time to lose form for the Warriors, never mind be dropped by them," says Dippenaar. "How is he going to cope with the emotions of that when it happens with the eyes of the whole country on him?"

"In my view, what he actually deserved was to be allowed to play a couple of seasons away from the prying eyes of the nation in order to learn more about himself and his game. There are some things you can only learn through experience and I'm really not sure that he deserves the pressure of having to learn those things at national level," says Dippenaar, who has always spoken with touching honesty about the regrets he had about his own premature elevation to the international stage.

"Maybe Wayne will cope with it all better than I did, I certainly hope he does. Nobody would be happier than me if he proves to be the exception and handles everything that life will throw at him, but we have a history in South Africa of throwing guys into the deep end too early and then either seeing them sink or, at least, not fulfil their potential. But all we learn from history, it seems, is that we don't learn from history
    ."

Day 2

Lions 526/9d (Vilas 203, Virus 129, Mbhalati 3/69, Tahir 3/119), Titans 126/4 (Rudolph 52, Kruger 2/30)

Warriors 237 (Arno Jacobs 59, de Bruyn 54, D Jacobs 52, Henderson 7/64), Cobras 124 (Gray 42, Birch 5/48), Warriors 133/8 (D Jacobs 57*, Kleinveldt 3/34)

Dolphins 132 (Abbott 50*, Pienaar 4/46), Eagles 215 (Rossouw 79*, Abbott 4/40, Smit 3/66), Dolphins 175 (Kent 64*, Pienaar 4/40), Eagles 96/2 (Hendricks 42*, Abbott 2/14) - Eagles win

Day 3

Lions 526/9d (Vilas 203, Virus 129, Mbhalati 3/69, Tahir 3/119), Titans 360 (Behardien 114, Joubert 71, de Wet 3/76), Lions 85/2 (Virus 65*)

Warriors 237 (Arno Jacobs 59, de Bruyn 54, D Jacobs 52, Henderson 7/64), Cobras 124 (Gray 42, Birch 5/48), Warriors 197 (D Jacobs 101, Kleinveldt 3/42), Cobras 74 (Puttick 16, Brown 4/14, de Bruyn 4/28) - Warriors win

Horror first class season for the Cobras. Captain, Ontong couldn't buy a run whilst they went through more seamers then I have had hot dinners. Bothma, Rabie, du Toit, Lotter, Sandri, Plaatjies...
    Last edited by TT Boy; 04-04-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Day 4

Lions 526/9d (Vilas 203, Virus 129, Mbhalati 3/69, Tahir 3/119), Titans 360 (Behardien 114, Joubert 71, de Wet 3/76), Lions 167/2 (Virus 105*), Titans 250/3 (Rudolph 126*, de Wet 2/35 - Draw

Titans win the SuperSport title

Most runs
    I Khan (Dolphins), 835 runs @ 55.66 (4 100, 2 50)
    A Prince (Warriors), 809 runs @ 53.93 (1 100, 4 50)
    Virus Petersen (Lions), 798 runs @ 49.87 (4 100, 2 50)
    Arno Jacobs (Warriors), 783 runs @ 43.50 (8 50)
    R Rossouw (Eagles), 765 runs @ 40.26 (3 100, 4 50)

Highest scores in an innings
    A Prince - 254, Warriors v Titans
    H Kuhn (Titans) - 203, Titans v Warriors
    D Vilas (Lions) - 203, Lions v Titans

Most wickets
    C Henderson (Cobras), 39 wickets @ 27.15 (3 '5 wicket hauls')
    C Alexander (Lions), 35 wickets @ 32.40 (1 5)
    I Tahir (Titans), 32 wickets @ 27.71 (2 5)
    C Pietersen (Eagles), 30 wickets @ 14.80 (1 5)
    M Morkel (Titans), 30 wickets @ 17.06 (4 5, 2 10 wicket hauls)

Best bowling figures in an innings
    P Joubert (Titans) - 7/38, Titans v Cobras
    R Kleinveldt (Cobras) - 7/43, Cobras v Eagles
    Rusty Theron (Warriors) - 7/46, Warriors v Eagles

Off-season update.

Former South African coach and current director of cricket at Kent, Grahan Ford is the new head coach of the Natal Dolphins. And Loots Bosman joins the franchise after leaving the Eagles.

Cape Cobras Squad 2009/10

Ryan Canning, Henry Davids, Sybrand Engelbrecht, Alistair Gray, Justin Kemp (capt ?), Rory Kleinveldt, Charl Langeveldt, Richard Levi, Justin Ontong, Hillroy Paulse, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Francois Plaatjies, Andrew Puttick, Stiaan van Zyl, Mario Olivier, Monde Zondeki. National Players: Greame Smith, JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs.

In - Mario Olivier, Robbie P - From the Warriors. Hillroy Paulse (Rookie). Gray (Western Province). Kempie.

Warriors

Davy Jacobs (capt), Andrew Birch, Darryl Brown, Corbyn Dolley, Colin Ingram, Riaan Jeggels, Arno Jacobs, Justin Kreusch, Lyall Meyer, Sinethemba Mjekula, Siyamthanda Ntshona, Michael Smith, Jon Jon Smuts, Juan Theron, Craig Thyssen, Johan Botha, Wayne Parnell, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Ashwell Prince, Mark Boucher, Jacques Kallis, Makhaya Ntini.

In - Siyamthanda Ntshona (Rookie)

The Warriors have 7 nationally contracted players and are looking to add a few more players before the season starts. Former test all-rounder, Zander de Bruyn has up sticks to Gauteng (the Lions) for personal reasons. Nantie Hayward has ditched the ICL, so the former Eastern Province boy is likely to return.

Human (Boeta Dippenaar) - "He bowled one particular spell against us in the SuperSport Series this year that could have been bowled by Wasim Akram, it was that good"

"Left arm around the wicket, swinging it both ways in the mid 140s, it was awesome. He has phenomenal talent and huge potential, no doubt about that, but he is still only 19-years-old."

Dippenaar was speaking about Wayne Parnell, the recent recipient of a national contract. And note that he said "BUT he is still only 19" rather than "AND he is still only 19."

Cricket South Africa announced Parnell on the national contract list with some fanfare. The news was received with considerably less fanfare amongst the vast majority of the cricket community. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Parnell, either as a cricketer or a person.

He has worked harder than most through the teen years to reach this stage in his career, living with a 'foster' family in PE to pursue his dreams and then captaining and playing with distinction up until SA under-19 level. He deserves success and as much nurturing and encouragement as possible. Whether he deserves a national contract, however, has been the subject of much consternation and eyebrow raising.

A national contract is, afterall, the ultimate goal for a provincial cricketer as it offers both the chance of glory and also an opportunity to lay the foundations for a secure financial future. But ever since national contracts were introduced they have been regarded as rewards for perseverance and consistent performances at provincial level followed by a minimum number of games for South Africa. That number always used to be six one-day internationals or three test matches. Parnell has played two Pro20 matches and one ODI.

But there is another way of looking at whether he 'deserves' the contract. "He hasn't even had time to lose form for the Warriors, never mind be dropped by them," says Dippenaar. "How is he going to cope with the emotions of that when it happens with the eyes of the whole country on him?"

"In my view, what he actually deserved was to be allowed to play a couple of seasons away from the prying eyes of the nation in order to learn more about himself and his game. There are some things you can only learn through experience and I'm really not sure that he deserves the pressure of having to learn those things at national level," says Dippenaar, who has always spoken with touching honesty about the regrets he had about his own premature elevation to the international stage.

"Maybe Wayne will cope with it all better than I did, I certainly hope he does. Nobody would be happier than me if he proves to be the exception and handles everything that life will throw at him, but we have a history in South Africa of throwing guys into the deep end too early and then either seeing them sink or, at least, not fulfil their potential. But all we learn from history, it seems, is that we don't learn from history
    ."

Strong point from Human no doubt, definately has merit. DeVilliers & Steyn stepped up well, so maybe the same will happen with Parnell...

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread Information