• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

when bracewell finally goes

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
when bracewell does finish coaching nz (thank god :) ) what are the odds players like andre adams, daryl tuffey and lou vincent might come back to NZ now that the coach wont be such a wanker, thoughts?

Polo23

International Debutant
They have signed with the ICL for three years. They can't/arent just going to bail on their ICL contracts because Bracewell is no longer coach of NZ.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
when bracewell does finish coaching nz (thank god :) ) what are the odds players like andre adams, daryl tuffey and lou vincent might come back to NZ now that the coach wont be such a wanker, thoughts?
Who's to say the new coach won't be more of a 'wanker'?

Flem274*

123/5
Who is to say we care about those players? :p (Bar Vincent, the other two I can't see amounting to anything, at least Vincent would be useful as a half decent batsman for tests)

Polo23

International Debutant
Who is to say we care about those players? :p (Bar Vincent, the other two I can't see amounting to anything, at least Vincent would be useful as a half decent batsman for tests)
Thats pretty tough on Adams. He probably has one of the best FC bowling records for an NZ player. While he may not have made the cut at test level it's pretty hard to write him off given hes only played one game (and averaged 17.50).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adams and Tuffey are closer to Test standard than Vincent, IMO. Vincent is so hugely overrated.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Techincally playing for ICL doesn't mean you can't play for NZ. It just that the BCCI forced them to not consider those players.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Technically no, but realistically, yes. And the technical aspect is meaningless in the real world most times.

Flem274*

123/5
Thats pretty tough on Adams. He probably has one of the best FC bowling records for an NZ player. While he may not have made the cut at test level it's pretty hard to write him off given hes only played one game (and averaged 17.50).
That first game was exceptional. However he is inferior to our frontliners Martin, Mills, Franklin and his domestic record, which off the top of my head is merely very good (still a good achievement) is worse than O'Brien's, Masons and Gillespies. I would consider O'Brien and Mason to have some of the best FC bowling records in NZ, Adams needs to add some more to his impressive record still to reach that level.

Adams and Tuffey are closer to Test standard than Vincent, IMO. Vincent is so hugely overrated.
Vincent would be more useful in the current situation. Daryl Tuffey in his prime was a very good bowler, but now he is deservedly behind quite a few bowlers in the selection stakes. Sadly he is not what he once was.

So, whilst Vincent isn't much, I'd quite like a filler player that isn't James Marshall in the top order until our real prospects are considered ready or until Fulton finds some form (though I'd include Fulton ahead of Vincent and Marshall myself, the selectors apparently won't).

_Ed_

Adams was ridiculously good with the ball in the State Championship last season...averaged in the low teens IIRC.

Craig

World Traveller
Since when has the BCCI given two hoots about New Zealand? It isn't the money maker that Pakistan, England, South Africa or Australia is.

Flem274*

123/5
Adams actually has a 23.8 bowling average in first class cricket now. I wonder?....
What? Thought it was 27-28? If you're right I take my comments back, though I still think he's one of those players in cricket limbo-too good for domestic but too **** for internationals (outside of NZ).

Mr Mxyzptlk

his domestic record, which off the top of my head is merely very good (still a good achievement) is worse than O'Brien's, Masons and Gillespies.
Adams FC 333 wickets in 85 matches. 13 5-fors, 2 10-fors.
O'Brien FC 209 wickets in 59. 9, 1.
Gillespie 204 in 50. 10 5-fors.
Mason 220 in 68. 9 5-fors, 1 10-for.

All average 24podd. Not much between them tbh. And IIRC, Adams was in inhuman form the last time he played domestic cricket in NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
Well this shows I should get a proper memory.:ph34r:

Adams was a wicket machine last season.

I still believe the bowlers on par with him are more likely to have international success than Adams, who I admit I've never really rated. Always seem him as another fast medium that can bowl well inside NZ and can bat a bit, but nothing to write home about away from NZ.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup, far from convinced Adams would've made a Test bowler myself, and his debut was on one of the most seam-friendly wickets you could wish to see.

However, someone who takes whatever it was he took on debut deserves another chance. No two ways about. There are worse bowlers who've been picked in the meantime.

GGG

State Captain
Whats up with his batting though, number 10 for Notts? He use to be quite a handy batsman.

pskov

International 12th Man
My Essex mate was quite sad when he left. He did well batting at 7/8 while opening the bowling for them for a few years. He was never a lethal bowler though, merely a good one. I think his excellent FC record is sadly inflated by the relatively poor quality of NZ domestic cricket in recent times.

Edit: Just looked up his stats in English county cricket. Since 2004, including this season so far, he has taken 106 wickets at an average of just under 32 and scored just over a thousand runs at an average of 27.13. So not as good as I thought actually, but still a handy county performer. His record with Auckland is excellent though, 221 wickets at 20.58 (including the 07/08 season where he took 29 wickets at an average of 8.27 :blink: )

Last edited: