• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09***

Flem274*

123/5
Seems everybodies rubbish is defecting to NZ to try and get an international game. The bowlers don't really have a show, we have plenty of good bowlers. Only Myburgh out of the defectors has a chance as things stand. Merchant I haven't seen do much and its early days however, as I toild Leslie ages agp, just because he's Australian doesn't mean we should jump up and down about him. If He was top knotch Aussie wouldn't have let us have him. More likely ND need batsmen that can bat so they're getting young rep players (Williamson, Merchant) through to FC cricket quickly.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
More likely ND need batsmen that can bat so they're getting young rep players (Williamson, Merchant) through to FC cricket quickly.
Okay, so we had a poor season, but we do have batsmen who can bat. :P

At least until Flynn got selected for higher honors we had a solid batting lineup.

Watling is starting to come right at the top of the order. Parlane is back for some solidity, and of course we have Marshall's experience. :P

We are relatively healthy in the bowling department with Arnel, Boult (emerging players tourney) and now Bradley Scott coming in. It's the all rounders that we lack.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Seems everybodies rubbish is defecting to NZ to try and get an international game. The bowlers don't really have a show, we have plenty of good bowlers. Only Myburgh out of the defectors has a chance as things stand. Merchant I haven't seen do much and its early days however, as I toild Leslie ages agp, just because he's Australian doesn't mean we should jump up and down about him. If He was top knotch Aussie wouldn't have let us have him. More likely ND need batsmen that can bat so they're getting young rep players (Williamson, Merchant) through to FC cricket quickly.
Everybodies rubbish? This new Saffer coming over, Neil Wagner has played 20 FC matches and taken 89 wickets @ 18.30. If that is rubbish i'd love to see someone you class as good.

Also Merchant was the highest averaging Sydney 1st grade batsman to miss out on a rookie NSW contract..he was VERY unlucky. From all reports he is very good, and he showed that towards the end of the season. He could well turn out to be rubbish, but from all reports he wont.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why are they listed as FC matches?
Tradition, mainly. Their domestic teams were condensed into franchises and new competitions but the existing competitions still remained underneath and have been left with FC / List A status. At a guess I'd put it a little higher than Sydney Grade cricket.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Why are they listed as FC matches? The competition must be pretty high still.

Anyway, I still don't see how that is rubbish.
Well, you can hardly blame someone for doing well even if the standard isn't great so it's a good idea to wait and see what happens when he gets to NZ

SA changed their FC system a few years ago when they created Franchises, and kept the second level as FC probably as a sop to the Provincial sides being replaced

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tradition, mainly. Their domestic teams were condensed into franchises and new competitions but the existing competitions still remained underneath and have been left with FC / List A status. At a guess I'd put it a little higher than Sydney Grade cricket.
Glad to see someone agrees with me, tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Glad to see someone agrees with me, tbh.
Yeah, it should be noted though that their top flight First Class comp is probably comparable to the Sheffield Shield - you just have to be careful what stats you are looking at. Just looking at the overall First Class stats is very dangerous as it encompasses a very wide standard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Flem274*

123/5
Okay, so we had a poor season, but we do have batsmen who can bat. :P

At least until Flynn got selected for higher honors we had a solid batting lineup.

Watling is starting to come right at the top of the order. Parlane is back for some solidity, and of course we have Marshall's experience. :P

We are relatively healthy in the bowling department with Arnel, Boult (emerging players tourney) and now Bradley Scott coming in. It's the all rounders that we lack.
I have a hunch ND could be in the running for a FC trophy next season. They have some good peices, its converting the names to performances that we'll have to wait and see on. ND has an allrounder btw: Mark Orchard. I'm sure he fills you with confidence. :p

A side of Parlane, Watling, Merchant, Marshall, Flynn, McGlashan, Orchard, Martin, Scott, Arnel, Boult, isn't too bad actualy. Bats down to 9. Alot depends on the bowlers though.

Suspect Sinclair and Hay will enjoy some big partnerships together for CD. If Weston continues last seasons form then our 3-4-5 is right up there in my highly biased opinion.

WRT Merchant: If he averages say, 60, 70, 80 etc next season, and jumps the queue (spelling nazis I will kill you) ahead of more proven fringe players such as Fulton, Flynn, Hay and probably Myburgh (if he's qualified) then I won't be surprised, but I'm not sure I'll agree with it considering the amazing amount of one season wonders floating around, not that I'm accussing Merchant of being one, but it is a risk I hope the selectors keep in mind.

If he's ever done some opening with any success however then I wouldn't be entirely against it, provided he isn't a Hay-esque opener i.e. will likely be better in the middle order.

Actualy, thinking about openers, who reckons Flynn will get pushed up? I wouldn't be surprised, we love trying to make openers out of relatively inexperienced players on the international stage (Vincent, Sinclair and Fulton spring to mind).

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, you can on cricketarchive. You can view a player's First Class stats by team. Take Botha for example:
http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/10/10278/f_Batting_by_Team.html

His games for "Warriors" were all of a high standard. Some/all of the games for Border and Easterns weren't so much. I'm not an expert on this by any means but there's certainly a pretty large gap between some of their domestic competitions and others.
Cheers. Might have a look at Myburgh and Elliott, the other South Africans in NZ.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Actualy, thinking about openers, who reckons Flynn will get pushed up? I wouldn't be surprised, we love trying to make openers out of relatively inexperienced players on the international stage (Vincent, Sinclair and Fulton spring to mind).
I like Flynn at 3. Opening wise, I reckon Guptill should be trialled as much as Redmond has been, and also Watling. How has one of the opening spot so I don't see why we can't just keep rotating the revolving door policy.

Depending on who plays well, I reckon nobody has the top 5 batting lineup sewn up, not even Taylor for all his talent. Too much frailty, and the only batsman who can command his position in the top 5 atm is surprisingly McCullum, who should have been our top class lower order bat, but we bat him higher.

New coach I hope can have a big say in the team selection, and hopefully Hadlee's replacement can throw a few neglected names in the works too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Having to disagree with you there mate, McCullum has by no means cemented a top 5 place while IMO Taylor certainly has. While he isn't performing at the level we want him to reach one day, he's certainly our most solid top 5 batsman at the moment. If How continues like he has been for another series I'll notch him in there too.

brockley

International Captain
Where are the ICL players in the NZ team squads,have they been banned by the NZB or eill they be avialble.
Their the names i know don't know many domestic kiwi players :-O

Flem274*

123/5
Where are the ICL players in the NZ team squads,have they been banned by the NZB or eill they be avialble.
Their the names i know don't know many domestic kiwi players :-O
Um, what?

Anyway, I'll try to answer the question. If I recall correctly, Andre Adams, Chris Harris, Hamish Marshall, Lou Vincent, Daryl Tuffey, Craig McMillan and Shane Bond cannot play for NZ whilst contracted to the ICL due to the agreement between all the major test nations not to select players contracted to the ICL for national squads. We could pick them, many listed would be happy to play for NZ again if asked, but in doing so we would violate the agreement and the BCCI would have a hissyfit and we'd get hit hard with some form of punishment I imagine, probably something like India refusing to tour here (though the suspicion I've heard on here is we're seen as a neccesary evil by the BCCI). So its not worth it, which is a shame.

As it stands, only Bond and McMillan are the major losses with the possible inclusion of Vincent. The rest seemingly weren't in the plans of the selectors (like Harris, etc) or are not required to them being rubbish and better options being available (Like Adams).