• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Australia will repeat the heroics of 2004 ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So it's a subject of Test cricket, yet you bring up his IPL form as something to back your argument up? Top stuff, mate. If you can bring One Day stuff into it, so can I. And 12 Tests? Once again showing that you have very little idea about what you're talking about. He has played 8 Tests in India. Ponting has been in poor form when coming to India for the last couple of series, there is little question about this, and as I've shown, it is not the Indian conditions, bowlers or subcontinent he has a problem with, as proven at other points in his career. Thus, his record in India is clearly an abberation.
I don't know if it clearly is. It's quite possible, but I still think there's a fair amount of doubt about it. Personally, I think he was just clueless the first time he toured, although I'd definitely be willing to accept it was a mixture of poor form and mind games that stopped him performing on his second tour.

Whatever the reasons for his original failures though, Ponting is a much better batsman than the kid who was over there in the late 90s. The fact that he hasn't played a full series in India for seven years is quite possibly the only reason he hasn't conquered it yet, but I don't think we can actually say that with any sort of certainty. Ponting's holy grail is one of the many reasons the series will be so fascinating.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:-O he hasn't toured India for ten years?From where did you get that?
Well he only played one game in 2004 so I didn't count that as a tour as such. Had actually forgotten about the 2001 tour somehow, but it's still seven years since he last played a series there so my point still stands.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if it clearly is. It's quite possible, but I still think there's a fair amount of doubt about it. Personally, I think he was just clueless the first time he toured, although I'd definitely be willing to accept it was a mixture of poor form and mind games that stopped him performing on his second tour.

Whatever the reasons for his original failures though, Ponting is a much better batsman than the kid who was over there in the late 90s. The fact that he hasn't toured India for ten years is quite possibly the only reason he hasn't conquered it yet, but I don't think we can actually say that with any sort of certainty. Ponting's holy grail is one of the many reasons the series will be so fascinating.
I maintain he was undone by the bowler and less by the conditions. He looked utterly wrecked against Harbhajan and wasn't out there long enough to face the others, really. The tour before that, Kumble got him most times. It's just weird how people acknowledge that Harbhajan and Kumble are far more lethal in home conditions but when Ponting fails against essentially those two, it was his poor play that did it. He certainly did look in real trouble and by the end was pretty mentally shot but their bowling did it too; they knew his weak spot and absolutely honed in on it. My point I guess is that it took just as much their bowling to get him before he had a chance to fight through early nerves as much as his play. That Habhajan took 33 wickets in 3 Tests after a poor first Test shows the quality of the stuff he was sending down.

Laurrz

International Debutant
that Ishant Sharma if he can continue to pick out that weak spot of Ponting...what is it just outside off...rising... nothing on the pads.... eek.
it doesnt even have to move for it to trouble Ponting - well not significantly... just ahs to be there really...
also dont like Ponting vs left armers .. mainly around the wicket..

ok i dont feel confident at all about punter now :laughing:

Lambu

U19 Debutant
that Ishant Sharma if he can continue to pick out that weak spot of Ponting...what is it just outside off...rising... nothing on the pads.... eek.
it doesnt even have to move for it to trouble Ponting - well not significantly... just ahs to be there really...

:huh: ..what are you going on about? i thought Ponting was Bhajji's bunny? How did Ishant come in?

edit: On second thought ay be you have a point..yup if Praveen Kumar can bowl a bouncer at the bumpcather, i'm sure he'll lob it to mid-wicket.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man

Starting to wonder how he scores any runs at all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, can someone ban this Lambu clown already?

Anyway, I think it'll be a great series, but I think Australia can win. There's a fair argument for India being favourites, but I think it's being mildly overstated. It's a very hard series to call either way IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2-2 draw, but I'm thinking 2-1 Australia.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm pretty confident that Ponting will average more than 45 against the Indians..

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I just really can't see anyone beating Australia ATM. Saying that though, if their bowlers bowl crap (like they are now), then i can see India doing very well and punishing them. I just think Australia's batsmen will be too strong for the Indian bowlers.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Another thing which might tilt the scales towards India is that Lee has not played a single test so far in Ind , Pak or Sri Lanka...so that implies Lee,Clark and Johnson haven't played a single test where conditions are similar.

Lee might have played a couple in Ban though..i' not sure of he has done there.But it doesn't really count.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
You don't think his posting in this thread qualifies as baiting to at least the same degree as the likes of SST?

I mean, "the bumpcatcher"? Really.
That's just one comment. I don't see anything wrong with the rest of his posts in this thread.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
wtf?? 1 comment and everybody is taking stock of my character now??Hilarious..so only those people who praise Ponting to the skies and conclude that he is the best thing since sliced bread allowed to post or what??If my comment is to be termed as baiting then what about Laurrz who brings up every Indian bowler to this discussion with his brand of dry,sarcastic humour??? oh nooo, that isn't baiting..we Aussies set the boundary always.