cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Why is Razzaq...

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    55,936
    I could probably find eight examples of Elton Chigumbura going nuts and hitting bowlers around the park. Is he under-rated?

    A few swashbuckling innings doesn't prove a lot at all. This is coming from someone who, if you're talking about ODIs, agrees with you that he is indeed under-rated.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  3. #3

  4. #4
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I could probably find eight examples of Elton Chigumbura going nuts and hitting bowlers around the park. Is he under-rated?

    A few swashbuckling innings doesn't prove a lot at all. This is coming from someone who, if you're talking about ODIs, agrees with you that he is indeed under-rated.

    Oh, feel free to. If you can find 8 similar examples of hitting/blocking from Elton Chigumbura that can compare, that is. Hell, even five would suffice.


  5. #5
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,446
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    how many games he played ..not 10-16 rite
    so you think the examples I have posted are the only times he has played a worthwhile innings?

  6. #6
    International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    so you think the examples I have posted are the only times he has played a worthwhile innings?
    He has just lost his place cos he lost his form
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

    Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society

  7. #7
    International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    2,002
    Anyway he hasn't got a needing role, Shahid Afridi has it

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    Oh, feel free to. If you can find 8 similar examples of hitting/blocking from Elton Chigumbura that can compare, that is. Hell, even five would suffice.
    Razzaq, when he is coming-off, may indeed be capable of feats beyond pretty much anyone else. Same thing was broadly true of Vivian Richards, obviously to a different level.

    Trouble for Razzaq is, there are other players who can come-off far more regularly than he. There were also people who could come-off more regularly than Richards.

    Hence, why some people rate other players ahead of them.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Anyway he hasn't got a needing role, Shahid Afridi has it
    Abdur(\l) Razzaq is a far better batsman than Shahid Afridi has ever been or will ever be. And not that much worse a bowler.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    55,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    so you think the examples I have posted are the only times he has played a worthwhile innings?
    Do they really prove anything though at all that no-one knew as they are though?

    I don't see what point you're trying to make with them. I think everyone is aware that Razzaq could play an awsome hitting role down the order in ODIs and played some superb innings; he was a very good ODI player. What stopped him from being a great player is what he did between those innings and the irregularity of them. Unless you have a YouTube video which highlights a consistency with his batting none of us were aware of, you're not giving us new information.

    In the end, averaging under 30 and striking under 80 didn't do him justice - but it's what he achieved. A dangerous batsman and a highly under-rated bowler in ODIs he was, but he didn't do completely apply his batting talent and while he will be remembered as a very fine ODI player capable of awesome feats with the bat, he was not an alltime great.

    I am assuming you were talking about ODIs by the way, given the links you provided. Tests are a whole different story...

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Abdur(\l) Razzaq is a far better batsman than Shahid Afridi has ever been or will ever be. And not that much worse a bowler.
    Actually, I think Afridi is enough better than Razzaq with the ball to tip him to the team as the allrounder, despite his batting inferiority.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

    The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    55,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Actually, I think Afridi is enough better than Razzaq with the ball to tip him to the team as the allrounder, despite his batting inferiority.
    We're still talking about ODIs, right?

    I don't think there's much between Afridi and Razzaq in ODIs at all with the ball. I'd even be tempted to suggest that Razzaq was a better bowler...

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Actually, I think Afridi is enough better than Razzaq with the ball to tip him to the team as the allrounder, despite his batting inferiority.
    Never really rated Afridi a great deal with the ball TBH and while Razzaq is probably even worse I feel that the fact that with the bat Razzaq = decent and Afridi = terrible makes Razzaq the more worthy player and it's a bit of a disappointment that it was Razzaq rather than Afridi who headed to the ICL.

    Wonder if the assmbled Pakistani crowd would agree?

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    In the end, averaging under 30 and striking under 80 didn't do him justice - but it's what he achieved. A dangerous batsman and a highly under-rated bowler in ODIs he was, but he didn't do completely apply his batting talent and while he will be remembered as a very fine ODI player capable of awesome feats with the bat, he was not an alltime great.
    Was a very mediocre bowler for ages toward the end of his career.

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    We're still talking about ODIs, right?

    I don't think there's much between Afridi and Razzaq in ODIs at all with the ball. I'd even be tempted to suggest that Razzaq was a better bowler...
    Excepts statistics (ie, the actual performances on the pitch) don't really back that up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Razzaq vs Pathan
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
  2. Razzaq lashes out at PCB
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-08-2007, 04:12 PM
  3. Abdul Razzaq
    By PhoenixFire in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 21-10-2006, 11:40 PM
  4. Razzaq...
    By pakster in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 12:32 AM
  5. Abdul Razzaq- The best since Bradman?
    By thierry henry in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18-01-2004, 06:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •