Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Most under-rated test innings?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Really? First I've heard of that, if so obviously he wouldn't even have come close to winning the game but for Moin.

Was this actually realistically a stumping, or was this something that clipped the end of Moin's fingertips and which he actually didn't have any chance at all of taking cleanly?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really? First I've heard of that, if so obviously he wouldn't even have come close to winning the game but for Moin.

Was this actually realistically a stumping, or was this something that clipped the end of Moin's fingertips and which he actually didn't have any chance at all of taking cleanly?
    No, it was a bonafide stumping opportunity off Saqlain when Tendulkar was on 90. Moin was always known to fluff those chances.

Oh, on 90? You said "early in his innings".

Right - they are pretty much on an even footing then, yes. Although obviously victory was closer when Healy missed Lara than when Moin missed Tendulkar.

I wonder why on Earth that chance isn't mentioned in the Wisden report on the game.

I also wonder whether it'd be better or worse for Tendulkar had that chance been taken, actually. Maybe the extra 46 runs added to that "choker" crap that gets thrown his way so absurdly often more than would have been the case had he been out for 90.

It was an unbelievable innings, I've never seen anything remotely like it, though it's true the Sehwag 319 was closer than some things. Seriously, Vivian Richards never played an innings that good. Everything he hit, pretty much, came off the middle of the bat. He played and missed once or twice early on, but that's it. And this was no tea-party - most people remember best the end of the innings where he knew the game was gone and was just swinging, fairly randomly (still damn impressive the number that he connected with mind, he never so much as missed any of these fairly-random-swings). But for the first 120-130 runs he was playing almost all proper shots - not all along the carpet, but all of the middle of the bat and none anywhere near the fielders. Only time there was ever any remote likelihood of him being out was when he hit one into short-leg and it bounced up, but even that ended-up well out of Ramprakash's reach.

Beyond question the best innings I've seen and I'll be amazed if I ever see a better one.
    I think Gilly's 204* @ Jo'Burg in 02 was just a fantastic as good as Astle's double. Actually i rate Gilly, Astle & Sehwag two triple tons on the same level.

Gilchrist's Wanderers double-century wasn't even remotely close IMO, for many reasons including the fact that he should've been caught at slip on 30-odd.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhil1772 View Post
    Its got to be Dravid's century in the partnership with VVS's 281.
    Ive not read this thread so I dont know how many people have said the same. However, that innings by Dravid would be a good guess IMO.

Its barely mentioned and was one of the better innings in the context of a game in recent years.
    Last edited by Goughy; 23-04-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Gilchrist's Wanderers double-century wasn't even remotely close IMO, for many reasons including the fact that he should've been caught at slip on 30-odd.

Let it go, just once.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Why? It's no less relevant here than anywhere else.

Gilchrist should have been out on 30-odd in that innings at The Wanderers in 2001/02. You can judge whatever you want by that, but that's the case.

I dont know of this ones been mentioned. 01-02 NZ vs Aust. but credits got to be given for Warnes 99 at the WACA in Aust 1st inn.

After NZ 1st inn. 534 containing 4 centuries. (104 vincent. 105 fleming. 156 Astle. 110 parore). we had aust at 192/6 and then warne came in and scored a 99.. pity he got caught off a no ball.. but his innings eally brought aust back into the game.

Warne was also dropped about 4 times in that innings, and cannot complain in the slightest about the catch-off-no-ball as his luck had more than run-out.

Warne was also dropped about 4 times in that innings, and cannot complain in the slightest about the catch-off-no-ball as his luck had more than run-out.
    , dawg you is problems son..

can you give us the scores he was dropped on. 1 maybe but 4 seriously....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    Talking about this one, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Dasa,
    Yeah that's the one. Looking at the scorecard it's even more amazing than I remember. Azhar scored 163 not out in the second innings and the next highest score in the match was 61 by Tendulkar. The other three innings scores were 237,177 and 180.

And it says something that even someone as knowledable as Honestbharani doesn't remember the innings. Would love to see highlights of that knock again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    I didn't see that knock, but reading the scorecard it looks even more remarkable seeing the pace at which Azhar scored - barely anyone else was able to score at a strike rate over 50, let alone over 70 as he did.

Yep... somehow totally forgot that knock. Does indeed look awesome. I guess, compared to the other two knocks of Azhar I mentioned against RSA, this one is underrated maybe because of the spate of 40s around Azhar's innings.. I think in the other two most batsmen failed. And I seem to vaguely remember that the pitch was pretty bad towards the end and the umpiring seemed a little harsh on the Saffies.. I guess I just lost this innings in the midst of all that. Amazing knock now that I think of it and definitely under rated, esp. by me...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

saeed anwar's 188 in calcutta.

State Vice-Captain
    Azhar Mahmood's 128 against Donald, Pollock, etc. in 1998.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information