Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why dont cricketers try baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Football seems more popular all year 'round in England. But maybe that's just in the south.
    I'd say it's even more popular up here so no it's not just in the south

The fact that there isn't any football in June and July makes cricket the most popular by default in those months I guess

In non-tourno years anyway, and there are no major tournaments this summer

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    A few years ago ESPN and a group of 'experts' evaluated everything in sports (and no cricket wasnt included) and concluded the hardest thing to do in sports was to his a 100 mph pitch for a home run.

I dont know how they came to that decision as there are some pretty freaky things those little gymnasts can do.

However, as much as I disagree with the conclusion, there is no doubt that its a very tough thing to do, requiring years for it becoming natural.

Ive been to batting cages many time and they hit high 70s. Making contact is never an issue, but making great contact and hitting long is very tough.

I think many cricketers could be good at both if they were brought up with both. But to expect them to be able to make a switch with none of the familiarity is expecting a lot.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

State Vice-Captain
    Yes, scientifically speaking, it's a lot harder to hit a baseball with a baseball bat than it is a cricket ball with a cricket bat.

Practically speaking, I've seen recreational baseball players at sea trying to play cricket. They just cant fathom a ball bouncing first, spinning off the ground etc. Even when giving them buffet balls, they failed to connect. It's a swing thing.

Another aspect is that baseball players tend to be strong muscular types like B.Ruth, H.Aaron, J.DiMaggio, M.McGuire, S.Sosa, B.Bonds. I dont see the great smallish batsmen such as Bradman, Tendulkar, Lara succeeding.

Tho batsmen do play the wider variety of strokes and may have a slight edge adjusting, my thinking basically is that it's a 0 - 0 tie. Cant be good at both.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Googenheim View Post
    No idea how the batsmen and bowlers would fare in the corresponding departments in baseball, but looking at the quality of some of the ground fielding in baseball, I'm pretty sure 90% of all cricketers would look rank amateurs in that department.
    You are kidding right?

The ground fielding in cricket far outstrips that of baseball. If someone makes a ground stop with their hands in baseball, they talk about it for weeks and weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    Yes, scientifically speaking, it's a lot harder to hit a baseball with a baseball bat than it is a cricket ball with a cricket bat.

Practically speaking, I've seen recreational baseball players at sea trying to play cricket. They just cant fathom a ball bouncing first, spinning off the ground etc. Even when giving them buffet balls, they failed to connect. It's a swing thing.

Another aspect is that baseball players tend to be strong muscular types like B.Ruth, H.Aaron, J.DiMaggio, M.McGuire, S.Sosa, B.Bonds. I dont see the great smallish batsmen such as Bradman, Tendulkar, Lara succeeding.

Tho batsmen do play the wider variety of strokes and may have a slight edge adjusting, my thinking basically is that it's a 0 - 0 tie. Cant be good at both.
    Never listen to pundits for objective judgement its not possible....
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I can name a load of great baseball players who certainly are not the huge muscular types. Strong, yes, but not huge frames. That's a misleading stereotype about baseball players.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    You are kidding right?

The ground fielding in cricket far outstrips that of baseball. If someone makes a ground stop with their hands in baseball, they talk about it for weeks and weeks.
    The ground fielding itself, in terms of actually reaching the ball is superior in baseball from what I've seen. And I'm a huge fan of baseball (though not quite as much as cricket). The reflexes and athleticism by the average baseball fielder is superior to the average cricketer. There are a handful of fielders in world cricket who could make the stops that the third baseman and first baseman make on a daily basis.

I agree that the commentators get carried away with the barehand thing, but collecting the ball cleanly is not the most important thing in ground fielding. It's about stopping the ball and, if possible, keeping it in front of you and close by. Very rarely do cricketers pick up the ball cleanly when it's hit hard at them. It's usually stopped and then picked up. So the barehand thing is not really an issue with a ground fielding comparison. Catching is another issue.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

State Vice-Captain
    I can name a load of great baseball players who certainly are not the huge muscular types. Strong, yes, but not huge frames. That's a misleading stereotype about baseball players.
    My point was in comparison to batsmen, baseball batters generally have to have the stronger physique (symantics aside). A batsmen of wiry/wispy physique can still be successful using other attributes such as timing, concentration, technical adeptness etc rather than sheer strength. It's the reason why we can have a Bradman, Hanif, Gavaskar, Lara, Tendulkar etc.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    My point was in comparison to batsmen, baseball batters generally have to have the stronger physique (symantics aside). A batsmen of wiry/wispy physique can still be successful using other attributes such as timing, concentration, technical adeptness etc rather than sheer strength. It's the reason why we can have a Bradman, Hanif, Gavaskar, Lara, Tendulkar etc.
    And I'm comparing them to batsmen too...
    I wasn't aware that there was any suggestion in my post that I wasn't. I've read it over and I still don't see it.
    There are many exceptional baseball players with very similar techniques to the Bradmans, Hanifs, Gavaskars and Tendulkars of cricket. Baseball is not all about home runs, though there are several prolific home run hitters who aren't very big guys. In fact sheer strength is probably the least important thing in baseball. Timing, concentration and technical adeptness are much more important. Even in terms of hitting home runs.

In baseball, there are many big guys who hit big home runs who are still poor to mediocre batters. Again, it's a very misinformed stereotype that the good baseball players are generally bigger and stronger than cricketers.

State Vice-Captain
    For the sake of speculation, do you think India, for example, could produce a Baseball team akin to the one they produce in Cricket ? (if it were their national obsession like Cricket)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    IThe ground fielding itself, in terms of actually reaching the ball is superior in baseball from what I've seen. And I'm a huge fan of baseball (though not quite as much as cricket). The reflexes and athleticism by the average baseball fielder is superior to the average cricketer. There are a handful of fielders in world cricket who could make the stops that the third baseman and first baseman make on a daily basis.

I agree that the commentators get carried away with the barehand thing, but collecting the ball cleanly is not the most important thing in ground fielding. It's about stopping the ball and, if possible, keeping it in front of you and close by. Very rarely do cricketers pick up the ball cleanly when it's hit hard at them. It's usually stopped and then picked up. So the barehand thing is not really an issue with a ground fielding comparison. Catching is another issue.
    Absolutely. What we see only the most athletic cricketers do (dive to stop a ball, bounce back up and nail a throw within a foot of the target), the average baseballer is expected to do. Fielding, there's absolutely no comparison; cricketers' have traditionally had atrocious techniques for throwing relative to baseballers. It's a lot better these days but still way behind. Aside from FC cricketers, players still don't know how to do quick throws on the fly in the way baseballers do. And, again, only the most athletic cricketers compare to the average baseballer when it comes to stops.

Why? Probably because there's so much to learn with the respective batting and bowling disciplines, fielding very much gets neglected. You have many more options with regards where and how to hit the ball in cricket which obviously takes a lot longer to learn (some people never do....). Bowling, there's many techniques to get right, how to bowl on different pitches, to different styles of batsmen, etc.

And I'm comparing them to batsmen too...
    I wasn't aware that there was any suggestion in my post that I wasn't. I've read it over and I still don't see it.
    There are many exceptional baseball players with very similar techniques to the Bradmans, Hanifs, Gavaskars and Tendulkars of cricket. Baseball is not all about home runs, though there are several prolific home run hitters who aren't very big guys. In fact sheer strength is probably the least important thing in baseball. Timing, concentration and technical adeptness are much more important. Even in terms of hitting home runs.
    In fairness to Engle though, that sort of subtlety is being lost in the era of juiced balls and corked and aluminium bats. We've had three players in the last few years go past Roger Maris's HR record and a few more get right up there when it had previously stood unassailed since the 60's. Hitting HR's is definitely a more prominent part of the game and your Jeter types are being squeezed out a bit.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 14-04-2008 at 09:48 PM.

We're not all football crazy, im so glad the season is nearly over. Problem is people wont stop talking about it in the summer either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information