• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith 5000 Test Runs!

Do you think Graeme Smith can reach the 11000 run mark?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't disagree that both the latter two have happened, far too often, recently - it's just that I don't think the problems are caused by bowlers moving the ball accross him. The former, of course, hasn't been so common of late as it was in 2004\05 - I can only recall a very small handful of occasions he's been trapped lbw by notable inswingers since then.

The problem, as I said, since 2005\06 has mostly been Smith playing deliveries outside off that he doesn't need to play. Not doing this was his great strength in 2002\03, 2003 and 2003\04 - what made him so prolific. If he could get back to this, bowlers who could not bowl inswing would suffer every bit as they did back then, I'm fully confident.

The dragging-on has been a more annoying problem than all, because (like the way it used to with Gary Kirsten back in 1997-1998-1999 sort of time) there's no good reason for it. I don't feel it's been caused by the closed face of his bat - he's always done this, the dragging-on has never been a problem until recently. Nor have any of the deliveries that I've seen him drag-on have been remotely remarkable, he's just played down the wrong line. I hope this will be sorted soon (if it hasn't been already).

Last edited: