• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Kolpak players hurting English cricket?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So given that by definition a Kolpak-orientated contract requires a player to forsake his homeland and effectively become an EU national (though not one of any particular EU country) that means there'll be no Kolpaks, apparently.

Just a shame several of them have now acquired British nationality and so will most likely be remaining. Obviously nothing can be done with nationalised British players, it's just such a shame a British passport is so easily acquired I guess. Wish it still took 7 years rather than 3.
7 years for Kolpaks yea. But lets say a person was born here, but never lived here. Given he/she went back their native country, but wanted to come back to ENG for UNI/College, the 3 years qualification works ok.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think so TBH - I couldn't care less if someone was born in the UK, if they lived in Queensland from the age of 2 to 18 that makes them Australian in my book. They should have to come back to the UK for 5 years before they get a British passport IMO.

And BTW, Kolpaks are irrelevant to this discussion. The whole point is, if you have a British passport you don't need Kolpak qualification. Kolpak qualification is only for those who don't have British passports.

brockley

International Captain
Looking at the present kolpaks that will rule out a lot of them
1 either not represented a country
2 not played enough one dayers or tests.
3 not played for country in last 5 years.
Rules out a lot of overseas players who have played this season.
Think there will be a big rush for kolpaks to take out british citzenship,murray goodwin should qulaify by now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They'll only take out British citizenship if they a) are eligible and b) are willing.

Obviously a British-qualified South African and a Kolpak are the same thing as far as what they are is concerned, but different things as far as their eligibility for England is concerned.

I hope a minimal number will be eligible and the majority of former SAfricans (and occasionally others) will go back home.