• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Masterblaster's CricketWeb Young Player Of 2002/03

Cloete

International Captain
how can u discard collingwood like that?? he played bloody brilliantly compared to all the other english. (bar that vaughan dude ;);):P:P:P:P:D)

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Yes but other than that he's not done much, one good series does not a player make :). And I still don't see the supposed similarity between him and the world's greatest Left Arm Seamer...
They're both left arm fast bowlers...:saint:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
They're both left arm fast bowlers...:saint:
Yes and they are both asians but one has 500 ODI wickets, the other has had one good series in his career.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
Yes and they are both asians but one has 500 ODI wickets, the other has had one good series in his career.
One played around 15 years and the other one around 2 yrs ;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Neil, Why does Graham Smith whinge? Is it because he got called a F***** c*** consistently in Australia and complained?
That's one side of the story.

As for Collingwood, I didn't write him off! I merely said that he hadn't done anything spectacular to warrant the award.

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
How's that supposed to make them similer?
The fact that they've both played under 20 years and over 1 year. ;)

There are similarities galore, just depends on how you look at them :P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
The fact that they've both played under 20 years and over 1 year. ;)

There are similarities galore, just depends on how you look at them :P
Ok so he is the new Wasim despite being nowhere near as good just because he's left handed and asian? If you use that logic then I suppose some of the kids I play against are the new Bradmans because they hold a bat made of wood...

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Ok so he is the new Wasim despite being nowhere near as good just because he's left handed and asian? If you use that logic then I suppose some of the kids I play against are the new Bradmans because they hold a bat made of wood...
No one said he was the new Wasim. Some highly regarded aussie cricketer just said he was a "young Akram"...that's all...In that, he performed in this tournament like a young akram...

And also, yes, those kids are similar because they use a bat of wood, and Bradman used a bat of wood. Yes, Akram and Nehra are similar, because they're both left handed bowlers, they both played for more than 1 year. Yes, Rhodes and Srinath are similar, they've both caught a catch sometime in their careers.

Like I said, there are MANY similarities, it matters which ones you look at...

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
No one said he was the new Wasim. Some highly regarded aussie cricketer just said he was a "young Akram"...that's all...In that, he performed in this tournament like a young akram...
Wasim? Akram? Same person...

I read the artical, the guy went pretty close to overboard considering this was Nehra's 1st good performance in an International series...

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Wasim? Akram? Same person...

And no the person who called him the "young Akram" said he was the saviour of Indian bowling...I read the artical.
Okay, so?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
Okay, so?
One series does not a player make, Wasim was a once in a lifetime bowler, there is no point in comparing the 2 just because they are left handed. One is great, one is useful, so why bother? I'm trying not to generalise but just about every artical I read from the Indian media builds players up to heights that they can never achieve and then they fall badly and get slaughtered for it. I feel this is one such example.

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
One series does not a player make, Wasim was a once in a lifetime bowler, there is no point in comparing the 2 just because they are left handed. One is great, one is useful, so why bother? I'm trying not to generalise but just about every artical I read from the Indian media builds players up to heights that they can never achieve and then they fall badly and get slaughtered for it. I feel this is one such example.
One series does not a player make, but one series maketh a player for the media.

I don't know why you bring this up here...I'm not complaining, I pick neither side, and I don't think anybody else here is saying Nehra is as great as Akram...:P

People - commentators/writers like to make these comparisons so there's something to talk about. You should try writing in their places:saint:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
on the international level there is no question - james anderson

on a domestic level i can only comment on aussies and for that it would be close between bracken and Clarke, clarke would probebly win out cause bracken did not have the gereatest 4 day season, and clarke averaged about 50 - pretty solid

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
How's that supposed to make them similer?
I made that statement b'coz u said that Akram picked up 500 wickets and Nehra only had one good series.I said you should also take into account the amount of matches they both played. I was not suggesting they are equal and i think Nehra will never be like Akram.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
krkode said:

More acurately, Nehra performed like Akram in just one match , the one against England!

masterblaster

International Captain
I dont agree that Nehra is the same as Akram at all either.
Akram is a living legend, he personifies true champion qualities. But Nehra has a lot of potential.

But Akram in his 20's was bowling at speeds upto 150 kph+, Nehra bowls at around and upto 145-150 kph.

Akram in his 20's could produce vicious reverse swing, inswing and outswing, while Nehra's stock ball is the outswinger to the right hander, and his reverse swing isnt great.

Akram could bat, Nehra Cant

Akram was once in a lifetime.

Even If Nehra does half of what Akram did, Ill be cheering Nehra on, and he would've done India proud.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nehra has yet to perform at test level, so far he has been mediocre at best at longer version of the game.

However i think Nehra did perform well in world cup and can be a good pacer for India in years to come.He and Khan can deliver the goods for India if they work hard and look after their fitness!

V Reddy

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
I dont agree that Nehra is the same as Akram at all either.
Akram is a living legend, he personifies true champion qualities. But Nehra has a lot of potential.

But Akram in his 20's was bowling at speeds upto 150 kph+, Nehra bowls at around and upto 145-150 kph.

Akram in his 20's could produce vicious reverse swing, inswing and outswing, while Nehra's stock ball is the outswinger to the right hander, and his reverse swing isnt great.

Akram could bat, Nehra Cant

Akram was once in a lifetime.

Even If Nehra does half of what Akram did, Ill be cheering Nehra on, and he would've done India proud.
I would not be happy if Nehra is half of Akram. I wouldn't want to see an Indian Bowler averaging around 40 and being called one of India's better bowlers :( :D ;) . He should be 75% of what Akram was.