• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shayne O'Connor retires

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
wow this is shock news, O'Connor was a certainty for the NZ team to Sri Lanka in my opinion but now he's gone & done this.

He says hes lost the desire to train, go on long tours & no longer wants the physical strain on his body.

O'Connor has been plagued with injury for awhile now & I guess maybe the possibility of retirement was more realistic than most people thought.

I'd think Michael Mason will be the next in line to go to Sri Lanka, now that O'Connor has called it quits.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Wow.... I am now wondering if he had been told that he didn't make the team. It seems funny to retire just before the team in chosen.

I would say mason, mills or tuffey will take that place in the team.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Allott was kinda old, but when he retired he was only around 29 or 30 so if he had kept going he would have probably finished around this year or next.

Nash & O'Connor have been disappointments..two very good bowlers that have been forced to retire before the age of 30.

anzac

International Debutant
I must say that I am very disappointed by the news as I was really looking forward to seeing him back with the likes of Bond, Butler & Vettori - what an attack that would have made!!!!!

So far as the retirements go it is interesting to note that all of them have suffered from long term injuries that had kept them out of the squad for several seasons, and upon their returns to the squad they had broken down again with another long term injury!!!!

:(

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yea he was a good bowler , we are losing too many parore as well to that list...

good luck to him on whatever hes doin in the future , i guess injury after injury do **** you off and take the toll on ppl