Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Stephen Fleming?

Stephen Fleming?

Do you think Stephen Fleming did the right thing by gifting South Africa the bonus point?

I would say yes! It is inside inside the bounds of the law anyway!

WEll he has done the right thing for New Zealand yes, but it is debatalbe if he has done the right thing for cricket

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    he definatley did the right thing by NZ , RSA will struggle to get 227 let alone 281 8D 8D
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Whether Fleming did the right thing or not is completely irrelevant. The option was given to Fleming to maximise his team's chances to make the VB Series final, and that's what he did. Remember the 1999 World Cup when Waugh and Bevan held a "go-slow" to try and benefit their chances in the Super Six stage? So kudos to Fleming for having the guts to exploit the rule to his advantage.

Tim
    Its about time Fleming put his team first before another team, Im pleased that he decided to play hardball.

Im pretty sure most ppl have forgotten that World Cup episode, so its pretty even now.

Cricket Spectator
    No I don't think he did the right thing. The black caps had a better chance of beating Australia in the finals. Everyone knows that South Africa crumble under pressure when playing Australia in big games. If the black caps didn't concede the bonus point, there was still a chance South Africa could have missed out after playing the Aussies in the final game (that was the most likely outcome). I think Fleming's negative thinking probably cost them the series, because they outplayed the Aussie in every game (including the game Australia won).

Reminds me of the 1992 World Cup. A suspiciously poor performance against Pakistan in the final game so as to avoid playing the Aussies in a semi-final in Sydney, only to have it backfire when the Pakis (who would have missed the semis otherwise) easily chased 260 in the semi to knock New Zealand out.

Everything has worked out brilliantly for the South Africans. Fleming has easily been the best captain all series, yet one piece of negative thinking could cost them the trophy.

International Debutant
    I am not so sure about that because australia would have shown there class in the finals and i really could not see nz beating them.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    he scores to slowly
    he should be a coach

Thread Information