• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, fully expecting Phlegm and to a lesser extent Athlai to try and push Corey Anderson, Hamish Bennett, Todd Astle and Tim Southee for selection.
Ah no.

Astle will probably be sitting by the phone though at the rate we are going through openers.

EDIT: And nice change of subject BTW Perm.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Was in reference to the first part of his post, but I CBF editing the quote.
Well if I'm wrong with that then fine. I'll admit that. Though I doubt Hopkins will ever be any good in international cricket. not compared to McCullum anyway.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes Dad.

Styris is not better than Fleming or Fulton by any stretch of the imagination. Also think that Sinclair has far more ability than Styris. Styris is pretty average on test tracks that bounce. We need players that are good on all tracks.
How can you say Scott Styris is an inferior Test player to Peter Fulton? Without wanting to sound too simplistic 36.05>26.42, especially when Styris is a realistic bowling option in Test matches. Also, Styris may be suited to lower tracks (as shown by his effectiveness in the World Cup) but he isn't that poor on bouncier pitches. Even if he was below par on those type of tracks, how many of them do we see nowadays? They are few and far between, and not often that we see a wicket that is akin to the old WACA pitch. You can hardly argue that Styris is poor against pace bowling either, as four of his five Test centuries have come against almost exclusively seam attacks.

Perm

Well if I'm wrong with that then fine. I'll admit that. Though I doubt Hopkins will ever be any good in international cricket. not compared to McCullum anyway.
McCullum isn't that good either. I have no doubts Hopkins can't cut it at international level, but he is a much, much better FC batsmen than OD one.

Perm

Ah no.

Astle will probably be sitting by the phone though at the rate we are going through openers.

EDIT: And nice change of subject BTW Perm.
We aren't 'going through openers', and we don't need to. People will complain that Papps isn't good enough, but he's our best option. I don't see many other FC openers scoring 1000 domestic runs in a season.

Fiery

Banned
We aren't 'going through openers', and we don't need to. People will complain that Papps isn't good enough, but he's our best option. I don't see many other FC openers scoring 1000 domestic runs in a season.
Papps was so dire in SA he will probably never get another opportunity

Fiery

Banned
That is one of the many differences between you and I.
Players small in stature like him should have a quick eye, quick hands and good footwork. He lacks in all departments at test cricket and needs to be dropped like a hot spud. He would have to go back and score another 1000 runs this season and then the next to have any chance of getting back in the team tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
How can you say Scott Styris is an inferior Test player to Peter Fulton? Without wanting to sound too simplistic 36.05>26.42, especially when Styris is a realistic bowling option in Test matches. Also, Styris may be suited to lower tracks (as shown by his effectiveness in the World Cup) but he isn't that poor on bouncier pitches. Even if he was below par on those type of tracks, how many of them do we see nowadays? They are few and far between, and not often that we see a wicket that is akin to the old WACA pitch. You can hardly argue that Styris is poor against pace bowling either, as four of his five Test centuries have come against almost exclusively seam attacks.
Quite easily, I type it on the keyboard.

Fulton will be better than Styris, his all round batting is just so much better than Styris's.