• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeff Wilson-What could he have been?

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Would have been handy during the mid-1990s when we were reduced to playing the likes of Justin Vaughan and Grubby de Groen, but I think he would have been usurped once Dion Nash, Chris Cairns et al were all fully fit.
How good a player was Justin Vaughan? When he was made NZC CEO I had to look on the internet to find out when he played for New Zealand.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Yep. OK says it all really.

Out of interest, who else was in the Mud XI?
It was a OD side:

Mark Richardson
Blair Hartland
Matthew Bell
Mark Bailey
James Marshall
Justin Vaughan
Mark Priest
Andrew Penn
Roydon Hayes
Richard de Groen
Robert Kennedy

12th men (tied): Mark Douglas, Grant Bradburn.

Flem274*

123/5
It was a OD side:

Mark Richardson
Blair Hartland
Matthew Bell
Mark Bailey
James Marshall
Justin Vaughan
Mark Priest
Andrew Penn
Roydon Hayes
Richard de Groen
Robert Kennedy

12th men (tied): Mark Douglas, Grant Bradburn.
Wheres Murphy Sua'a and Craig Cumming?

Fiery

Banned
Wheres Murphy Sua'a and Craig Cumming?
Murphy Su'a wasn't a bad bowler actually. He didn't do himself any favours by getting offside with Rutherford in particular. I'll quote you quite a funny story from Chris Cairns book when I get home

Fiery

Banned
Found something on the net:

"Reacting a little testily to being dropped for an ODI, Su'a went into a sulk and refused to train before the game, and when asked to join his team-mates, Su'a, alleged Rutherford, called him a "white honky p****." The conversation continued for a few minutes along such cerebral lines before Su'a reluctantly did as he was told. Su'a continued to work hard for his place in the team by then trying to change his airline ticket so he could fly home later that day"

Flem274*

123/5
Found something on the net:

"Reacting a little testily to being dropped for an ODI, Su'a went into a sulk and refused to train before the game, and when asked to join his team-mates, Su'a, alleged Rutherford, called him a "white honky p****." The conversation continued for a few minutes along such cerebral lines before Su'a reluctantly did as he was told. Su'a continued to work hard for his place in the team by then trying to change his airline ticket so he could fly home later that day"
:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He made the Mud XI that was run on the main sports radio station here...if that gives you any indication
Which I thought was a little harsh - I definitely would have had Bradburn in there ahead of him.

Vaughan was a tidy slow-medium seam-up bowler, but lacked the utter nagging accuracy of Larsen and the variation of Harris. His batting was technically solid, but he lacked power and wasn't that adept at working the ball around either.

Fiery

Banned
Which I thought was a little harsh - I definitely would have had Bradburn in there ahead of him.

Vaughan was a tidy slow-medium seam-up bowler, but lacked the utter nagging accuracy of Larsen and the variation of Harris. His batting was technically solid, but he lacked power and wasn't that adept at working the ball around either.
Pretty much. (Sounds like you're getting in some practice on critiquing the nags :p)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Race 1 - The New Zealand Cricket All-Rounders Mobile Pace - 2200m

1. Doctor Vaughan 89067 - dour stayer who would need the right run in this field. One for multiples
2. Goldie Balls - 813X0 - talented juvenile who showed promise in two-year-old features but failed in last start after return to aged racing. Should show zip if he gets a passing lane run.
3. Cairns Junior - 32462 - Big burly entire by prominent sire Lance Cairns. Has shown class in Group races and is obvious standout, despite injury problems.
4. Paddles Haddles - 1111X - the major danger to Cairns Junior in this race. Oozes class, but long lay-off since last campaign may tell. Question marks over dodgy ticker too.
5. Zippy Harry - 27279 - what he lacks in sheer brilliance, he makes up for in guits. Has pedigree, and recent performances at country meetings have been promising. Include in multiples
6. Dirty Dion - 1435X - super-talented pacer whose career has been beset by injuries. Is currently servicing broodmare Minxy Mene, and perhaps would be best served staying in the stallion barn.
7. Andre Armbro - 10010 - Flashy type who failes to deliver too often to be trusted. Often unreliable from behind the gate and has manner issues. Could run in the first three on his day though.

Fiery

Banned
Race 1 - The New Zealand Cricket All-Rounders Mobile Pace - 2200m

1. Doctor Vaughan 89067 - dour stayer who would need the right run in this field. One for multiples
2. Goldie Balls - 813X0 - talented juvenile who showed promise in two-year-old features but failed in last start after return to aged racing. Should show zip if he gets a passing lane run.
3. Cairns Junior - 32462 - Big burly entire by prominent sire Lance Cairns. Has shown class in Group races and is obvious standout, despite injury problems.
4. Paddles Haddles - 1111X - the major danger to Cairns Junior in this race. Oozes class, but long lay-off since last campaign may tell. Question marks over dodgy ticker too.
5. Zippy Harry - 27279 - what he lacks in sheer brilliance, he makes up for in guits. Has pedigree, and recent performances at country meetings have been promising. Include in multiples
6. Dirty Dion - 1435X - super-talented pacer whose career has been beset by injuries. Is currently servicing broodmare Minxy Mene, and perhaps would be best served staying in the stallion barn.
7. Andre Armbro - 10010 - Flashy type who failes to deliver too often to be trusted. Often unreliable from behind the gate and has manner issues. Could run in the first three on his day though.
:laugh: Outstanding

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
You know what's GUN? I'll tell you what's gun. Wilson winning a one dayer against Australia and scoring a hat trick on debut the same year.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Even if the latter was only against Scotland. Hell, we beat them with Marc Ellis at first-five!

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Ha, Ellis played first five as a Wellington schoolboy, right? I remember Wilson had to kick the penalties back then, and we lost to England in the next Test.

How many first fives did we have in the early 90s? I remember Simon Mannix being the great All Black hope. They tried Stephen Bachop and Walter Little too, right? Little was before they went groveling back to Fox.

Fiery

Banned
How many first fives did we have in the early 90s? I remember Simon Mannix being the great All Black hope. They tried Stephen Bachop and Walter Little too, right? Little was before they went groveling back to Fox.
Preston was the only other, then Culhane in '95

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, Ellis played first five as a Wellington schoolboy, right? I remember Wilson had to kick the penalties back then, and we lost to England in the next Test.

Yeah, Little was the option in the early 1992 World XV tests. Other than Fox, it went to Ellis, for the 93 EOYT, Mannix and Bachop one game each against France before Bachop continued on adequately through 1994. Thankfully Merhtens reached test-standard the following year against Canada.

Fiery,

Culhane also played in 1996, playing a solid part in NZ's test series win in South Africa.