• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scariest Cricket Player

Athlai

Not Terrible
Some big boys

I will second (Roy) Gilchrist and the Demon

Nominate Colin Croft, and who was the WI player hung for killing his wife? I should remember that:wacko:
Second Akhtar..

Its the nose.. scariest thing in cricket :ph34r:
AWTA.(Basically seconding Ambrose.)
So Roy Gilchrist, Fred "The Demon" Spofforth, Shoaib Akhtar, Andrew Symonds and Curtley Ambrose have all been seconded.

Will posters get the chance to argue the cases of their nominations? Mine are rather old, and I can see that counting against them.
Write out a description of each and I'll slap it onto the front page (perhaps with some Mod assistance) to help with the votes. :happy:

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
The minimal value placed on life in South Africa is such that you don't have to annoy a criminal to have him kill you.
Well more talking about fate and karma, but that'll do.

I think Charl Langeveldt would deserve a mention, a (ex?) prison officer, and one in South Africa in my books makes him hard as nails.

neville cardus

International Debutant
So Roy Gilchrist, Fred "The Demon" Spofforth, Shoaib Akhtar, Andrew Symonds and Curtley Ambrose have all been seconded.
You're forgetting Bonnor.

Write out a description of each and I'll slap it onto the front page (perhaps with some Mod assistance) to help with the votes. :happy:
Gladly. I'll have it for you later tonight -- it 11.14am here now --, when I'm done studying.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I think Charl Langeveldt would deserve a mention, a (ex?) prison officer, and one in South Africa in my books makes him hard as nails.
I don't think that being tough necessarily makes you scary. We'd all be pooping bricks about Steve Waugh were that the case.

Chubb

International Regular
Peter Roebuck

Once a quitessential Englishman, Roebuck was captain of Somerset and later of Devon in the minor counties. Whilst at Somerset he earned the everlasting enmity of Ian Botham by sacking Viv Richards and Joel Garner as the overseas players. Roebuck moved in to coaching but in 2001 was prosecuted for assaulting three young Afrikaner cricketers in Taunton, England. Roebuck felt their performance levels were not up to scratch and so implemented what he believed to be the usual discipline upon them.

Roebuck plead guilty and received a suspended sentence. He then went to Australia and got a commentating job on ABC. Where once he spoke with a Oxbridge accent, he now attempted to sound like a fair dinkum Aussie, with strange results. He holds a deep grudge against England which comes out in his writing. Amongst other things, he believes the English are all drunken racists whose children are out of control. He believes English fans behaved insanely in the 2005 Ashes, though apparently Australian fans doing similar things did not. He rarely misses an opportunity to insult England. If you point this out to him, he calls you a nationalist, which is a bad thing if you are English but not if you are Aussie.

For further reasons to be slightly afraid of Peter Roebuck, look here and tell me he isn't paranoid.

Disclaimer; I agree with some of what Roebuck says, but I do not believe that England is as bad as he says, or that it is okay to hit people in what is only a game. That, I suppose, makes me a nationalist too.

Mark Vermeulen

Always known for his fiery temper and, as Alistair Campbell put it "different" behaviour, Vermeulen reached new heights in 2006 when he burnt down the Zimbabwe cricket academy following a row over selection. Before he did that, he had shown up at the ZCU offices drenched in whiskey, threatening to set it alight. He also attempted to get into Robert Mugabe's heavily fortified compound, demanding to "see the Patron".

A few months before this incident, which is he now being prosecuted for, he reacted to crowd sledging in an end-of-season friendly by grabbing a metal boundary spike and threatening the crowd, bawling obscenities and making threatening gestures towards them.

neville cardus

International Debutant
A few arguments in Spofforth's favour:

+ His nickname was "The Demon".
+ He looked it, too.
+ He was 6'3".
+ Unlike most bowlers of the Victorian era, he had no bones about aiming at the batsman.
+ Testimonies to his ability to inspire "funk" are legion.
+ On the way to England in 1882, he was challenged to a duel to the death by a short-fused Frenchman.
+ He verbally abused W.G. in the "best Australian vernacular" for all of five minutes during the one Test Match of that tour. "By God," he barked, stabbing his finger at the ceiling for dramatic effect, "you deserve to lose the match for that* -- and, by God, you shall!"
+ His "evil eye" sent the Englishmen into a mad panic during the same game.
+ In the Sydney Test of 1882/83, Dickie Barlow accused him of deliberately using his boot-spikes to cut up the wicket. The Demon responded by knocking him out of his seat.

* Grace's unsporting run-out of Sammy Jones.

Last edited: