• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great memory

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
deira said:
this is the match that brought me to love cricket.
I wonder if Pakistan hadn't got lucky after they were virtually out of the tournament. :ph34r:

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pratyush, There is no victory in sport without luck. Credit to where it is due.
Haha. Luck does play a part but that doesn't mean they should be denied any thing and I wasn't doing that. They did great and fought like cornered tigers and all credit to them.

It was just a fun wonder question to Deira whether he would have probably loved cricket had Pakistan not won the world cup given he said this is the match that brought me to love cricket. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush, There is no victory in sport without luck. Credit to where it is due.
As said, there are many. Credit to where it is due without doubt, but it's doubly disappointing to lose to a team in a final when you know they're damn lucky to be there.

Same thing, obviously, should apply to Pakistan in 1999 as applied to England in 1992.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
You think Australia were lucky to be in the final in '99? We started slowly for sure, but that was a hell of a winning run we went on to go all the way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could have gone out in the opening round; should have gone out in the final Super Six match; should beyond question have gone out in the semi.

You know, had that game been tied and SA gone through I'd not have minded. But I'd probably have found it an even better game (and it's still untouched as the greatest ODI ever for me) had, say, Waugh's throw gone through Gilchrist's legs and Donald made his ground.

For all that game was sensational, justice was denied and I'd hope most Aussies know it. SA were a miles better side than them, and everyone else, in WC99.

And you'd have been younger than I am now at the time! :scared: