• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why has Andrew Strauss been dropped?

deira

Banned
This was his last four tests. He seemed to getting back in form

4th Test v WI in Eng 2007 at Chester-le-Street [1836]

1st Test v Ind in Eng 2007 at Lord's [1840]

2nd Test v Ind in Eng 2007 at Nottingham [1841]

3rd Test v Ind in Eng 2007 at The Oval [1842]

His average for these tests work out to be around 37.25. It is not the best but it is not bad either, so why was he dropped?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The 96 came versus an Indian attack which struggled early on in the first test in England to get its bearings right. RP Singh had commented how they bowled the wrong length. It isn't always smooth to adopt to Lords. The line of the Indians had been pretty dire too.

Apart from that 96, he was pretty much poor in the series. Before that, his batting productivity hasn't been that flash if you take 2005-2007.

2004 (age: 26y 305d) 9 18 2 971 137 136 126 60.68 4 4 1
2005 (27y 305d) 12 22 0 789 147 129 106 35.86 3 1 3
2006 (28y 305d) 14 26 0 1031 128 128 116 39.65 3 3 1
2007 (29y 305d) 8 15 0 432 96 77 55 28.80 0 3 1

It is fair enough that the selectors feel that it is time to give him the axe for the moment.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's been poor for a while now, and no longer merits his place in the Test team until he can start to churn out more runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because he's done next to nothing of note in the last 4 seasons other than pummel a rubbish Pakistan attack missing its best 3 bowlers in Shoaib, Asif and Shabbir.

He should have cashed-in far better than he did against West Indies. Just scoring 77 in the last Test simply wasn't good enough. And he was dropped early on in that 96 at Lord's, it was still a poor innings.

I'm not terribly sorry that Strauss has been dropped really, though I am sorry that he's in a position to deserve it, because I honestly did think he was better than that after his 2004, 2004\05 and 2005, especially the middle one.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Because he's done next to nothing of note in the last 4 seasons other than pummel a rubbish Pakistan attack missing its best 3 bowlers in Shoaib, Asif and Shabbir.

He should have cashed-in far better than he did against West Indies. Just scoring 77 in the last Test simply wasn't good enough. And he was dropped early on in that 96 at Lord's, it was still a poor innings.

I'm not terribly sorry that Strauss has been dropped really, though I am sorry that he's in a position to deserve it, because I honestly did think he was better than that after his 2004, 2004\05 and 2005, especially the middle one.
Very well said

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Andrew Strauss said:
"I have been a victim of some poor umpiring decisions, some unfortunate dismissals and a few incredibly good balls delivered at just the wrong moment."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds like excuse-making obviously, but it's honestly not that far from the truth. The whole thing started-off with a Pakistan tour where he didn't really do a hell of a lot wrong but emerged with a wretched Test-series' work.

deira

Banned
I wonder how will Owais Shah perform, surely this would be a make or break tour for him. If he doesn't perform, its pretty much goodbye for him forever from tests.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Andrew Strauss said:
"I have been a victim of some poor umpiring decisions, some unfortunate dismissals and a few incredibly good balls delivered at just the wrong moment."
Selective Journalism, Mr Nnanden.
Andrew Strauss said:
"But I still have to take responsibility for my less than satisfactory contributions."