• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worse pressure players?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His innings wasn't the same calibre of Gilchrist's though, while still being a fine knock.
Obviously not, given that he was absolutely plumb lbw to Wasim and not given, because the Umpire felt guilty about giving him out incorrectly in the first-innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
India has won around 30% of the Tests in which he's scored centuries,thats half the ratio of wins Pakistan has secured in those tests where Inzamam scored centuries.It shows that in pressure situations,he hasn't not even half as goo as Inzamam(who's overall a much inferior batsman compared to him).
logic is clearly your strong point :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amazing how many new things one learns here everyday.

Today I learnt something new again.

The 96 not out that Gavaskar played in his final test innings against Pakistan on a wicket turning square and which many considered the finest of his illustrious career was not played under any pressure whatsoever.

How could it be under pressure ? India lost the match :dry:

BS zindabad :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin has played a brilliant 70 taday and gone. Was his innings played under pressure ? We dont have a clue. We have to wait till all the overs have beeen bowled out to know !!

If India win it was fabulous innings played under great pressure.

And if Yuvraj and company crumble in the run chase after such a fabulous start, it will mean Sachin was not batting under pressure.

BS rules :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Rahul goes too. Pressure gauge of Sachin's innings coming down..coming down.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Uthappa goes hammer and tongs. Pressure starts building again on Sachin's batting :dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think now we can say almost for sure thatSachin's this innings was played under no pressure at all....unless Harbhajan and Sreesanth work out some miracle

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin did alright today hey. Not his fault the rest of his team couldnt' hack it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, yeah SJS, I've read your run of posts. So true really.

I generally use the whole "Sachin is poor under pressure" as a good way to judge how much people really know about cricket. Just like the "Sobers wasn't really a great allrounder" is another good criteria.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Read the whole thing Jono :) Going right back to the greatest BS of all time.:dry:
point very well made sjs...this is what i have been telling sachin naysayers for a long time now, but you know the story about the dog's tail...:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I generally use the whole "Sachin is poor under pressure" as a good way to judge how much people really know about cricket. Just like the "Sobers wasn't really a great allrounder" is another good criteria.
The frustrating thing is BhupinderSingh is far from an ignoramuse. I'd agree that more often than not saying Tendulkar is a choker, is poor under pressure etc. is a gauge of being more keen on stereotypes and conspiracy-theories than reality. Likewise saying Murali is a chucker; likewise quite a few other little bits-and-pieces.

What annoys me is the fact that you get worthy souls who say all these sorts of things, so they're certainly not something you can throw around with complete certainty.

Flem274*

123/5
Also you could argue that Sobers is not the best allrounder of all time. I do see what you mean though. Sachin=gun

Beleg

International Regular
SJS,

The point you made (which need not have been made in the first place, it's about as self evident as anything can be) probably went whoosh over the head of Bhupinder Singh. Even though it was amusing, you shouldn't have fed the troll. :)