Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best and worse pressure players?

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Not sure what this means. Don't really agree with the concept tbh. Doing badly in pressure situation would be if you were supposed to win, but lost it due to a choke...which means it can't be an individual thing, but a team situation (eg South Africa losing from a position of strength repeatedly).
    Usually it takes one player to break through that wall and the rest pick-up from there.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Anyway, Warne, Lara, Waugh, Bevan, Dravid, Border, Lillee, Gilchrist, Imran Khan...these kind of players excelled as the situation got more tense and difficult for their team to win or even draw.
    Last edited by Ikki; 14-10-2007 at 12:05 AM.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Steve Waugh is really overrated when it comes to handling pressure. He has a terrible fourth-innings record which is when the pressure is often at its maximum.

Though he has some ways to go in his test career, Ashwell Prince strikes me as someone who is excellent under pressure. Also Jacques Kallis. The two of them did something unprecedented AFAIK in test history in their recent home series against India and Pakistan. Both those series went right down to the last innings and in both innings Prince and Kallis got together with the game evenly balanced and took their team to close to victory. I don't know if any two players have every done that in consecutive series.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    • nearly 27000 international runs
    • 78 international centuries
    • 217 scores above fifty
    • 211 international cathces

I mean just imagine such a lousy handler of pressure and this is what he does. International cricket sounds like a stroll in the park by a seventy year old lady in hijab...

Add to that a billion arm chair critics who think they would have done better...

Maybe it is cricket punditry that comes so easy.....

I'm not denying that he's a great batsman but he's never been as good as he should be in pressure situations.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    I'm not denying that he's a great batsman but he's never been as good as he should be in pressure situations.
    From the figures it is clear that he hasnt faced many pressure situations in such a massively long career.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    There are different kinds of pressure. Tendulkar has faced the most intense public scrutiny pretty much since he was a kid. I doubt any cricketer in the history of the game has faced that kind of pressure and it's quite remarkable that he has survived for so long.

Even in the conventional cricketing sense Tendulkar has played some great pressure innings even though like Steve Waugh he doesn't have a good fourth innings record. His two match-winning hundreds against Australia in Madras were of the highest quality and were under huge pressure. He has delivered with the ball in pressure situations on several occasions too.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    There are different kinds of pressure. Tendulkar has faced the most intense public scrutiny pretty much since he was a kid. I doubt any cricketer in the history of the game has faced that kind of pressure and it's quite remarkable that he has survived for so long.

Even in the conventional cricketing sense Tendulkar has played some great pressure innings even though like Steve Waugh he doesn't have a good fourth innings record. His two match-winning hundreds against Australia in Madras were of the highest quality and were under huge pressure. He has delivered with the ball in pressure situations on several occasions too.
    Exactly.

It wont serve any purpose since those who have made up their minds are not interested otherwise I could list here fifty high pressure innings by Sachin.

Banned
    From the figures it is clear that he hasnt faced many pressure situations in such a massively long career.
    India has won around 30% of the Tests in which he's scored centuries,thats half the ratio of wins Pakistan has secured in those tests where Inzamam scored centuries.It shows that in pressure situations,he hasn't not even half as goo as Inzamam(who's overall a much inferior batsman compared to him).

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Worst players under pressure:

Vincent
    Fleming
    Fulton
    Taylor
    Styris
    Oram
    McCullum
    Vettori
    Bond
    Patel
    Martin
    Very temted to roll eyes you. Alot of those blokes are pretty damn good under pressure you know. With the notable exceptions being Taylor and Martin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Very temted to roll eyes you. Alot of those blokes are pretty damn good under pressure you know. With the notable exceptions being Taylor and Martin.
    Martin just isn't very good fullstop. I think it was a piss-take anyway.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    His innings wasn't the same calibre of Gilchrist's though, while still being a fine knock.
    Obviously not, given that he was absolutely plumb lbw to Wasim and not given, because the Umpire felt guilty about giving him out incorrectly in the first-innings.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    India has won around 30% of the Tests in which he's scored centuries,thats half the ratio of wins Pakistan has secured in those tests where Inzamam scored centuries.It shows that in pressure situations,he hasn't not even half as goo as Inzamam(who's overall a much inferior batsman compared to him).
    logic is clearly your strong point

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Its amazing how many new things one learns here everyday.

Today I learnt something new again.

The 96 not out that Gavaskar played in his final test innings against Pakistan on a wicket turning square and which many considered the finest of his illustrious career was not played under any pressure whatsoever.

How could it be under pressure ? India lost the match

BS zindabad

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Martin just isn't very good fullstop. I think it was a piss-take anyway.
    Thats music to my ears.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Sachin has played a brilliant 70 taday and gone. Was his innings played under pressure ? We dont have a clue. We have to wait till all the overs have beeen bowled out to know !!

If India win it was fabulous innings played under great pressure.

And if Yuvraj and company crumble in the run chase after such a fabulous start, it will mean Sachin was not batting under pressure.

BS rules
    Last edited by SJS; 14-10-2007 at 04:44 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information