• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Publicity

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now the site is up and running but there is a lull before bats are swung in anger I'd like to get cracking on promoting the site. So any thoughts and ideas would be really appreciated particularly from those based in Somerset.

Let me know if you have any ideas as the more people who use the site then the better it will be become.

cheers!

JF (Editor)

www.somersettalk.co.uk

dogbear

Cricket Spectator
the first thing i can think of would be to write to the club and ask if you could put a link to your site from their official site.

this may take some sucking up, but would be useful in making the site 'visible'

let them know you make no money, it is not a financial on-going, just a fan's forum for the sake of it.

the problem is you need to promote it on, presumably, no budget so we have to use some imagination.

we could of course make hundreds of '4' and '6' signs (with your logo at the top and bottom etc) and hand them round to people prior to televised games.....

perhaps you could secretly print hundreds of little flyers at work, or wherever, with the web address on and we could all leave them on seats at matches?

i will keep thinking about this....

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dogbear, thanks for the thoughts - you're the only one!!

The Club are helpful and infuriatingly troublesome at the same time. They see Somerset Talk as competition to the official site - which in reality is ridiculous as they hit thousands of hits a month and I...er, don't!

They also have the access of the Somerset players which could be put to better use than they do. Some of the articles on the official site are painfully dull. Sorry folks but its true. I am not allowed to interview anyone within 100 miles of Somerset for my site without getting a gentle but curt reminder from the club. No players, officials or even the woman who sells the pasties during matches. Sad really as I could think of many more interesting things to ask the squad than how excited are you about 2003 - answer: I am really excited! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!
(Sorry to anyone from the club reading this but its a frustrating business being blocked all the time)

Regarding a link, great thought but not a chance they'd plump for it. I love your suggestions of fliers or 4's and 6's cards.
I am planning on doing an interview on BBC Somerset Sound in the next month (let you know when) and I hope to get something mentioned in the local press though so far the response has been bordering on the not-remotely-interested.

Any further thoughts would be great - I suppose an approach to local businesses for space on the site could work.

cheers!

JF

:D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
your linked to the cricinfo main site somewhere???

umm, whos the 2nd somerset international - ask for a link on their teams page (and the tassie one if there is not one there)

wow those cartoons are pretty good - if he has a web page link from there

add me to your MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ if you have them - contacts in profile