• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori as opener

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We've seen left-arm spinner Vettori open the innings for New Zealand, though a long time ago. I'd like to know what you thought of it. The Kiwis had eight batting options before him, yet, in a few matches, he opened the batting. There was a match against the Aussies, where, chasing 220 (?) against Lee and McGrath, they opened with Vettori, and that move was panned. It surely was bizarre then. Do you think it was a good thing then? And now?

open365

International Vice-Captain
No i think it was a pretty aimless move.

I wouldn't be averse to him opening the bowling though.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
oh that.. we were just going through the alphabet, he was next in the order.. we were up to the 'v" batsmen before bowler..vincent..vettori

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin could one day be an option to open the batting but Vettori's has went down hill, bowlers shouldn't open the batting IMO. Certainly not in ODI cricket anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
This thread almost gave me a heart attack. I thought for a minute there that Bracewell had cooked up aother dumb plan.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think it had something to do with seeing off the opening bowlers without losing a 'valuable' wicket (ie Fleming)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it would work as his batting is suited to it, much more than others imo.
It's really not though. He tries to work everything square and plays dinky shots as he turns his wrists and plays with small portions of the bat. Successful openers tend to get in line with the ball and play with the full face of the bat to combat the extra swing and seam movement.

James Franklin or even Kyle Mills would be better options to open than Vettori IMO. It'd just waste him.

Craig

World Traveller
I think it had something to do with seeing off the opening bowlers without losing a 'valuable' wicket (ie Fleming)
Wasn't that the **** and bull story when they decided to put Nathan Astle at 3? I wouldn't either open, fan of actuall openers opening or least proper batsmen.

thierry henry

International Coach
Vettori actually had a golden run with the bat a few years ago, but his batting seemed to go to pieces when he got moved up the order to #5 in ODIs for a while....I suppose we can gather that, although he was often scoring more runs than most of the middle order players while batting at 8 or 9, when he tried to be a middle order player himself he was the worst of the lot. It's better he stays at 8 or 9 where he seems more capable of scoring middle-order player type runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't that the **** and bull story when they decided to put Nathan Astle at 3? I wouldn't either open, fan of actuall openers opening or least proper batsmen.
Indeed it was, how unutterably stupid to have not one but three players (McMillan, Fleming and Vettori) opening who've never been openers in any way, shape or form and one (Astle) at three who's beyond question New Zealand's best ODI opener of the modern era.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Indeed it was, how unutterably stupid to have not one but three players (McMillan, Fleming and Vettori) opening who've never been openers in any way, shape or form and one (Astle) at three who's beyond question New Zealand's best ODI opener of the modern era.
Welcome to the wonderful and surreal world of Bracewell,

iamdavid

International Debutant
It's really not though. He tries to work everything square and plays dinky shots as he turns his wrists and plays with small portions of the bat. Successful openers tend to get in line with the ball and play with the full face of the bat to combat the extra swing and seam movement..
I thought that was part of the thinking behind him opening, because he scores in different areas to other batsman and he's unorthodox, might put the bowlers of their game plan a little.

I didnt think it would work, but I did see their reasoning.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
wouldnt reccomend opening with vettori, as others have said the best bet in ODIs would be Astle.

pup11

International Coach
Is the starter of this thread talking about opening in Odi's or test's (do New Zealand play test's anymore??) Vettori's batting has been pretty dire for sometime now, so the idea is just isn't on.