• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin for Gilchrist in ODI

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know I've had a few beers this afternoon, but Gilchrist has been on the decline in all forms for the last 3 or 4 years. I'm not calling for a change in Test Cricket, but ODIs, Haddin is a gun and Gilchrist has done nothing except for his innnings in the WC final. Gilchrist isn't going to be there for the next WC, so hand over now IMO - or at least at the end of the Australian summer.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see Haddin hitting 150 in a WC final but it's not the worst idea I've heard. Might need a look at after the VB Series.

I've been expecting Gilchrist to give the shorter form away to prolong his test career so perhaps the selectors are just making this transition easier.

pasag

RTDAS
I like the way they are doing it now, playing Haddin in the team as a batsman for a while to make the transition seamless. Pretty good move imo.

Perm

As much as I'd hate to see Gilchrist retire from ODI cricket, if it helps his Test batting then he should do it. These kind of questions always get asked about Gilchrist though, and I'm getting sick of it. Same thing happened during the VB series in 2006 and he answered the critics with two consecutive centuries.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Gilchrist is probably just about ready himself to give one day cricket away (particularly since he won't be around for the next World Cup) and its also a good time to whack Haddin in the side.

Haddin has to stay middle order, though. He isn't an opener and it gives the chance to open with Hodge, Jaques or any other in form domestic one day opener (maybe Klinger at a stretch?)

Mister Wright

I think Gilchrist is probably just about ready himself to give one day cricket away (particularly since he won't be around for the next World Cup) and its also a good time to whack Haddin in the side.

Haddin has to stay middle order, though. He isn't an opener and it gives the chance to open with Hodge, Jaques or any other in form domestic one day opener (maybe Klinger at a stretch?)
Haddin has spent most of his domestic career as a OD opener, so can't see the problem with him becoming one in Gold. But, he's shown his ability to bat down the order if they (the selectors) decide to go with Watson or Jaques as ODI opener.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Watto FTW.

Mister Wright

Greg Mail has a few centuries as well and he's dire. I'll do some stats on it later; I'm trying to eat a massive potato AWS. :p
Eat your potato. Hope you enjoy it, because it will be the last potato you eat while thinking Haddin was a failure as a OD opener.

Perm

Haddin's just playing too well at the moment to be left out of the ODI side.
You hate Brad Hodge, so I'm surprised you haven't suggested that Haddin makes the side instead of him. In any case, there have been a number of players playing in Australia for long time that have been "playing too well at the moment to be left out", in either form of the game. Phil Jaques is one for Test cricket, as was Michael Hussey for a number of years. The thing is, these players sometimes have to wait until the established players either lose form, or lose favour with the selectors. Gilchrist hasn't done either.

Mister Wright

You hate Brad Hodge, so I'm surprised you haven't suggested that Haddin makes the side instead of him. In any case, there have been a number of players playing in Australia for long time that have been "playing too well at the moment to be left out", in either form of the game. Phil Jaques is one for Test cricket, as was Michael Hussey for a number of years. The thing is, these players sometimes have to wait until the established players either lose form, or lose favour with the selectors. Gilchrist hasn't done either.
Brad Hodge will be replace by Ponting. Can't see Hodge holding his spot given Haddin's current form.

Perm

Did Gilchrist miss a sitter? Not a catch but still went for 4 byes.
Granted I'm only getting vague descriptions from cricinfo, but it didn't seem as though it was a sitter. Also, I hope you aren't using one indiscretion in Gilchrist's wicket-keeping to suggest he is past it.

Mister Wright

Granted I'm only getting vague descriptions from cricinfo, but it didn't seem as though it was a sitter. Also, I hope you aren't using one indiscretion in Gilchrist's wicket-keeping to suggest he is past it.
Mate, I've never been a fan of Gilchrist's keeping. After the standard that Healy set for so long...I'll take any indiscretion that Gilchrist makes.

Perm

Mate, I've never been a fan of Gilchrist's keeping. After the standard that Healy set for so long...I'll take any indiscretion that Gilchrist makes.
Hmm, Healy the Queenslander. I'm surprised you aren't calling for Chris Hartley to be the new Test keeper. There's been nothing wrong with Gilchrist's keeping, it's been perfectly good for the majority of his career, bar a few bad series.

Mister Wright

Hmm, Healy the Queenslander. I'm surprised you aren't calling for Chris Hartley to be the new Test keeper. There's been nothing wrong with Gilchrist's keeping, it's been perfectly good for the majority of his career, bar a few bad series.
Let's just say he's been lucky he's made so many runs, otherwise his keeping would be under a lot more scrutiny. I'm not calling for Hartley atm, he's clearly the best keeper in the country, but his batting is far from great. Haddin should be the next international full time keeper - that's for sure.