• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, imo that batting line up is a bit too fragile,would always try and find a place for Nel in a SA side. TT where does Dippanaer usually bat?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dippenaar usually bats where he gets picked the next game.

IIRR his favoured slot is at the top of the order, but I don't know if he really has one. He's been rather unfortunate that there've always been several outstanding openers during his career (Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith, ADdeV) and has never had the chance to bat consistently there, instead being in and out of even the ODI side where he's mostly enjoyed tremendous success, and up and down the order.

The last thing I want is for a similar thing to happen to ABdeV. If Gibbs opens, he doesn't play. When Gibbs goes (which may well be soon) he opens with Smith. It's just a shame those two haven't been ensconced at the top of the order since 2004\05, really.

Is Kallis really likely to bat three in a Test again? Presuming not, surely the ideal thing is to have the three openers at the top? Then Prince at five obviously.

Do we really want Morne Morkel in the side ahead of Nel? No IMO. Nor do I see Harris doing much more than any SA spinner.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nor do I see Harris doing much more than any SA spinner.
Who are the other spinners though?, he most definetley deserves a continued run in the side as there are no real other spinners challengingbhim and he's had a good start to his test match career, he doesn't deserve to be dropped imo. Agree with you bout Nel, would be way too dicey having Morkel and Steyn in the same side.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Symcox and Boje (I think) have retired, I don't think there's any question that he's a far more accomplished spinner than both Johan Botha is he allowed to bowl?) and Tshabalala. So he should be the N1 spinner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well yeah, Symcox retired nearly a decade ago. :mellow: Harris is very unlikely IMO to be much better than him, nonetheless. When they retired doesn't really matter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That mostly in SA there's not much point picking a spinner - seamers almost always tend to do a better job.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well...what about on Pakistani pitches aye, I imagine they'd take turn. What if the spinner has done rather well in his start to international cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How often do pitches in Pakistan turn? Not that often, unless the groundsmen have deliberately prepared them to do so. And with the current (non) calibre of Pakistan spinners, I'd reckon that unlikely.

Harris will play this series, of that I'm almost certain, but I maintain that I don't think he's likely to do much of note in his Test career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kaneria is decidedly average, can't even be relied upon to cash-in on a turning pitch.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Would love to see Saqlain get a recall but I somehow doubt it will happen. :sleep:

This is the Pakistan team I'd like to see for the 1st test...

Hafeez
Hameed
Younis
Yousuf
Inzamam
Malik
Akmal
Saqlain
Gul
Asif
Kaneria

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Mohammad Hafeez. Forgot all about him...

PLEASE let's not see the 29-year-old Yasir Hameed opening?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Mohammad Hafeez. Forgot all about him...

PLEASE let's not see the 29-year-old Yasir Hameed opening?
Any other candidtes you can think of?. Of the top of my head Taufeeq, Butt and Farhat but I don't see how Hafeez and Hameed are any worse than them. Hameed at 6 possibly?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, just noticed that Taufeeq averages nearly 40 in test cricket, surely making him ahead of Butt, Farhat and Hafeez.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, just noticed that Taufeeq averages nearly 40 in test cricket, surely making him ahead of Butt, Farhat and Hafeez.
No way, Taufeeq is average. Scores his runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Hafeez and Farhat should open, Butt should be the reserve if either of the openers take injuries or hit a poor run of form.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can I start a thread on the ICC World Cup 2103 . I think it will be an interesting discussion. :)