• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Nishant

International 12th Man
i dont think that Inzy needs to be in the team. They did fine without him in the T20 WC and they seem to have a few stars comin along.

i dont think that Inzy needs to be in the team. They did fine without him in the T20 WC and they seem to have a few stars comin along.
They were successsful in T20 doesn't mean they'll be successful without him in Tests also.They'll keep struggling unless Misbah-ul-Haq or some other new player starts to take the pressure of middle order batting & does well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like who? Forgive me, I didn't take any real note of who did what in the Twenty20 Cup. :)

Like who? Forgive me, I didn't take any real note of who did what in the Twenty20 Cup. :)
Pakistan has some good & young middle order batsman in the form of Saeed-bin-Nasir,Farhan Adil,Hasan Raza,Shahid Yousuf,Bilal Asad,Taimoor Khan,Adil Nisar and some very experienced FC players like Misbah-ul-Haq & Asim Kamal.

Last edited:
If Yousuf,Shoaib & Inzi are not available/not picked,then I would like to see this team:

Khalid Latif/Taufeeq Umar
Khurram Manzoor/Yasir Hameed
Younis Khan
Misbah-ul-Haq
Asim Kamal
*Shoaib Malik
+Sarfaraz Ahmed
Sohail Tanvir
Umar Gul
Abdul Rehman/Tahir Khan/Danish Kaneria
Muhammad Asif

shortpitched713

International Captain
Khalid Latif/Taufeeq Umar
Khurram Manzoor/Yasir Hameed
Younis Khan
Misbah-ul-Haq
Asim Kamal
*Shoaib Malik
+Sarfaraz Ahmed
Sohail Tanvir
Umar Gul
Abdul Rehman/Tahir Khan/Danish Kaneria
Muhammad Asif
I've seen very little of him in the World T20, but clearly he would seem to be lacking the kind of bite someone like Shoaib would provide. That is to say I don't think he'd really be much of a wicket taking threat on his own.

Should be interesting to see how Anwar Ali goes for the Patrons XI. A good performance there followed by strong showing in the upcoming Patron's Trophy would definitely be grounds for a fast-tracking IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen very little of him in the World T20, but clearly he would seem to be lacking the kind of bite someone like Shoaib would provide. That is to say I don't think he'd really be much of a wicket taking threat on his own.

Should be interesting to see how Anwar Ali goes for the Patrons XI. A good performance there followed by strong showing in the upcoming Patron's Trophy would definitely be grounds for a fast-tracking IMO.
Aaaaaarrrrghhhhh..............

shortpitched713

International Captain
Aaaaaarrrrghhhhh..............
Haha, knew that would rile you up. In this case, I mean fast-tracking as in selecting based on the strength of relatively fewer domestic performances, as opposed to including one in the team regardless or despite domestic performances. Would only really consider Ali if he had a major competition, such as the Patron's Trophy under his belt and he performed well in it.

Yes,Anwar Ali looks one hell of a prospect & if picked,he would definitely be a much better choice than Sohail Tanvir.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sohail Tanvir looks a reasonable prospect IMO, but I don't think he would have enough of an impact in Test cricket. His unsual action takes a few overs to get used to, but once the batsman has become accustomed to this, he should be able to play out Tanvir without too much trouble. I didn't see much from Tanvir to suggest that he has the penetration required for Test cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sohail Tanvir looks a reasonable prospect IMO, but I don't think he would have enough of an impact in Test cricket. His unsual action takes a few overs to get used to, but once the batsman has become accustomed to this, he should be able to play out Tanvir without too much trouble. I didn't see much from Tanvir to suggest that he has the penetration required for Test cricket.
The thing about Tanvir people seem to be missing is the fact that he averages over 30 with the bat in first class cricket. His batting should get even better in the next two or three years and he could get some more pace as he bulks up into his mid twenties, too. He probably doesn't have the pace (or, in compensation, movement) to command his place in the side as a genuine bowler at the moment, but he'd be an absolutely ideal 5th bowler for any side, adding something so very different to vary the attack.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i would perfere him over crappy bowlers like rana naveed and iftakhar anjum...

the guy is a good allrounder so they should have given him a chance... not only in bowling but play him up in the bating order also... maybe he would have make an impect as he has enough talent to do so..

haroon510

International 12th Man
the pakistani team has been announced for the first test

shoaib akhter and inzi hasn't been included in the team,yousuf is back and same with masbah ul haq

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakvrsa/content/current/story/312909.html

i don't see no point of not including tanveer sohail in the team... pakistan still are stuck with crappy players like tafeeq umer and mohmmad hafeez... what has hafeez done to get the call again.. last time he performed for pakistan was in england a year ago... since then he has been in the team with no conterbutions.. pakistan can do better... it is sad to see nazir is missing,, he sould have been included for hafeez..

shoun pollock has been droped for the first test..
the south african couch thinks that pollock wouldn't be as effective as he used to be in subcontent pitches... they are keen to try a younger bowler such as steyn or morkle... as far as i know the pitch in Karachi is the only pitch in the whole pakistan that fast bowlers can be effective.. in such condition droping an exprience bowler like pollock doesn''t sound like a good move... not to forget that he can bat in crises situations to save the match or even win matches with his bating abilities
here is the link u can read about it more in here

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakvrsa/content/current/story/312907.html

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Right so as Salman Butt is VC he'll have to open

I'd go for this team...

Mohammed Hafeez
Salman Butt
Younus Khan
Mohammed Yousuf
Shoaib Malik
Yasir Hameed
Kamran Akmal
Rao Iftikhar
Umar Gul
Mohammed Asif
Danish Kaneria

I feel the selectors missed a trick by not picking Shahid Nazir, it will come down to Abdur Rehman and Rao to fight it out for the 4th bowling spot, Hafeez and Butt can also fill quite in for quite a number of overs as there both decent spinners.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well at least Inzi hasn't been banished according to reports. But still a few question marks about other selections of the pakistan squad. Where is Mushtaq Ahmed surely he should be picked & what about Asim Kamal other than the big middle-order & the recent rise of Misbah he is the most level headed Pakistani batsman i've seen in a while would personally definately have him in the squad ahead of Hameed or Iqbal.