• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Chapple - unlucky not to have played more for England ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
we have had this discussion before I think. Without looking at a players stats etc, you can tell when someone has it, and someone doesnt, and when someone might have it.
No you can't, you can think you can tell. No more. Chapple quite clearly has more than most bowlers, even though his record is relatively moderate there aren't even that many bowlers going around at present who can average less than 30 over a First-Class career.
Its about reading the game, no statsguru
No, it's about thinking you know better than the game.

Anyway, ITE, almost all of Chapple's career is likely to be better than Simon Jones'. However, Jones' playing a crucial part in the greatest triumph, who knows maybe in the history of English cricket, will of course overshadow all.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
there are enough ginger haired people in the england side already, no need for any more mediocre england cack.

Craig

World Traveller
TBH England have used bits-and-pieces players pretty much non-stop, and are likely to continue to do so. Michael Yardy is currently still very much in the picture.

Really, though, Flintoff and Anderson have done more to merit selection than Chapple, quite a bit more in fact. Not least the fact that Flintoff bats as well as bowls.

Oh really...? :naughty:
You know what I think of Yardy as a bowler when I first saw him, but he honestly looked bits-and-pieces, even on a small Hove ground.

cpr

International Coach
He's always been a good OD bowler (can still remember the 1996 Nat West final)
Already brought into the argument. But i agree. Cant fault the potential he had, the question is, has he ever fufilled it enough to warrent an International career. The selection policy of blooding young players now is far different to the horses for courses of the 90's

pasag

RTDAS
we have had this discussion before I think. Without looking at a players stats etc, you can tell when someone has it, and someone doesnt, and when someone might have it. Chapple never looked like he had it to be an international bowler. Some players reach their level of competance and I think Chapple reached his.

Simon Jones, despite having no real success domestically, was called into the England team, and it was apparent in those early days that he had a spark which could propel him into success at international level, which he attained dramatically in the Ashes. Even if he never plays again, he was obviously a bowler of that calibre.

Its about reading the game, no statsguru
Exactly.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Anderson in 2003 simply demanded selection. Whether this is right or wrong is debatable,
Its not debatable. I agree with you. But his form, once selected is debatable though.

Right now Chapple's career is more notable than Anderson's but Anderson possesses skills Chapple never has
That is a bit of a nothing statement, There are plenty of batsmen with limited shots who do much better than the more expansive ones.

Oh and wasnt his ODI against Ireland?
Poor form on my part, nonetheless, against a minnow team where the team was more of a test-run than anything.

You can't know whether he's international class without him playing.
I might be viewing this at the wrong angle, but why do you keep proclaiming that Mahmood and Plunkett should of never play international cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That is a bit of a nothing statement, There are plenty of batsmen with limited shots who do much better than the more expansive ones.
Indeed. And I'm not saying Anderson will be better than Chapple, I've said more than once that he lacks in accuracy and to improve that is not a guranteed.

But he's shown his potential to do so I think. Chapple did used to go for a few of times earlier in his career (and still does sometimes), if never quite to the extent Anderson often has.
I might be viewing this at the wrong angle, but why do you keep proclaiming that Mahmood and Plunkett should of never play international cricket?
They shouldn't, doesn't mean they can't be international-class. Sometimes in cases like those though you can be almost certain they're not good enough, because they haven't performed at the domestic level. I don't think it's the same in the case of someone who has performed at the domestic level - they at least have a chance.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, had a period in last year when he should have been called up for alot of ODI's but unfortunately injuries killed those chances. Never a real candidate for a test place, but always a big player for Lancashire no debates..

cpr

International Coach
Old Glenn must read Cricketweb, he's just taken career best 7/53 against Durham :)

open365

International Vice-Captain
Meh, he's been an absoultely fantastic bowler for Lancs since i started watching cricket and on merit he probably deserved more international games than he got, i don't think he would have been anything over mediocre at international level really, but it was just unfortunate the injuries that hurt his career.

FBU

International Debutant
Chapple and Bresnan's names have been mentioned in the press in the past few days by Graveney as possible injury replacements for the 20/20 World Cup so it is his last chance to put in a performance.

Compare his f/c figures to Caddick's (less Tests)

196 games 903 wickets at 25.00 - 64 5fers 16 10fers - Caddick
213 games 631 wickets at 28.58 - 24 5fers 1 10fer - Chapple

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chapple and Bresnan's names have been mentioned in the press in the past few days by Graveney as possible injury replacements for the 20/20 World Cup so it is his last chance to put in a performance.

Compare his f/c figures to Caddick's (less Tests)

196 games 903 wickets at 25.00 - 64 5fers 16 10fers - Caddick
213 games 631 wickets at 28.58 - 24 5fers 1 10fer - Chapple
Sad that Caddick's FC average has been dragged that high these days TBH. :( Was down at 22 in his heyday.