• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do You Think These Players Will Play Internationally?

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Australia:

Ed Cowan
Chris Rogers - could be in a Siddons predicament if Jacques is selected
Moses Henrinques
David Hussey

England

Moeen Ali - u/19 prodigy
Varun Chopra - same as above
Billy Godleman - same as above
James Harris
Samit Patel - averaging under 50
Will Jefferson - possible opener?
Tom Smith

pasag

RTDAS
If David Hussey continues being a gun and a few things go his way I certainly think he is in with a chance, sooner than later as well. People more in touch with the domestic scene would be more qualified to comment though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Victoria...slim
Bit of a contrast from Warney then, eh

Henriques looks like a real talent. I'd expect he'll play at least a few games for Aus, and if he develops a few more.

Will Jefferson's an odd one. Decent batsman, but originally a bowler until he did his back in driving a car which was too small for him (he's 6ft 10.5in tall). Unfortunately, his fielding is woeful and I think if he was going to be picked for England it would have been on the back of a great season for Essex a couple of years back. Can't see it happening now though.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless something miraculous happens Cowan has no chance, and i hope it stays that way.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Cowan is one of those players who looks like he might have something about him, has huge raps on him from some people in high places (Steve Waugh/Greg Matthews) and he has already played a couple of excellent innings at FC/list A level (particularly the hundred he made at Canberra, t'was very classy). But so far he's been woefully inconsistent, still only 25 so time is on his side, its just a matter of whether he can make the step up and really dominate at state level before its too late (ie he turns 31/32).

David Hussey is probably closer to an Australian cap than alot of people realise, particularly in the one day game, he's probably either 3rd, 4th or 5th cab off the rank atm for a test middle order spot if someone gets injured, behind Hodge and Watson and competing with Katich and Voges, it will just depend on luck, all he can do is keep churning out the runs and hope things go his way. Was somewhat suprised he was overlooked for Voges when Martyn retired actually, as in my estimation they both do exactly the same thing only Hussey does it better, both big-hitting middle order bats and useful spinners.

With Henriques its too early to say as he's still learning his craft, clearly has all the talent in the world as his junior record and peoples opinions of him suggest, but he'll need to string together a full season of FC cricket to give us a better idea. Last summer he seemed to have made the jump up to FC level very quickly with his 5/fer against Queensland, but before you knew it he'd disapeared for the remainder of the season...I'd be suprised/disapointed if he didnt play at some stage.

Rogers, if he scores well at the start of the Aussie summer then he gives himself every chance, if he continues to score as he has done this English season he'll never get close.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australia:

Ed Cowan
Chris Rogers - could be in a Siddons predicament if Jacques is selected
Moses Henrinques
David Hussey

England

Moeen Ali - u/19 prodigy
Varun Chopra - same as above
Billy Godleman - same as above
James Harris
Samit Patel - averaging under 50
Will Jefferson - possible opener?
Tom Smith
The Aussie lot has mostly been dealt with so I'd concentrate on the English lot...

Moeen Ali - anyone's guess, he might turn-out to be the next nobody (a la Michael Gough for example) or he might break into things in a year or so's time.

Chopra - not as impressive as his teammate Cook, but has had an un-disastrous start to his career. Could have done better this season, but he's certainly not the only one to have a middling season early on in a career.

Godleman - going great so far, but this is his first season and he's only 18 - let's not get carried-away.

Harris - is even younger still at 17, it's pretty astonishing that he's done as well as he has so far. But at 17 it should be 3 or 4 years before we even start thinking about this.

Patel - been around for yonks now even though he's only 22. Good FC record to date but still only this season become an established first-teamer.

Jefferson - never rated him much, he'd not have had much wraps without the unusual height.

Tom Smith - has rather lost his way this season, sadly. Always stuck me as one with great potential, however, due to his ability at just 20 years of age (last season) to bowl with accuracy and return consistently impressive economy-rates in both forms of the game, something you do not see all that often in one so young. Let's hope this season - as with one you didn't mention, wicketkeeper-batsman Steven Davies - is just a blip.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Thank you for the reply Richard, I was hoping for someone to comment on the English players. Your comments about Patel certainly interest me, he's the same age as Cook and has FC average slightly more than him too - although he has played less games. Do you think there is a place for him in th England XI once Collingwood, Vaughan and co dissappear or are there others in your mind who should/will be in the 3-6 positions once the aforementioned players make way.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Tom Smith - has rather lost his way this season, sadly. Always stuck me as one with great potential, however, due to his ability at just 20 years of age (last season) to bowl with accuracy and return consistently impressive economy-rates in both forms of the game, something you do not see all that often in one so young. Let's hope this season - as with one you didn't mention, wicketkeeper-batsman Steven Davies - is just a blip.
I think it is probably best for Smith to move to another county. The likes of Flintoff, Anderson, Mahmood, Chapple, Newby, Cork and Chapple are making it hard for the young man to have regular starts for Lanchashire and playing second XIs is not fair of someone with his talents.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thank you for the reply Richard, I was hoping for someone to comment on the English players. Your comments about Patel certainly interest me, he's the same age as Cook and has FC average slightly more than him too - although he has played less games. Do you think there is a place for him in th England XI once Collingwood, Vaughan and co dissappear or are there others in your mind who should/will be in the 3-6 positions once the aforementioned players make way.
We'll only know when we know really - I'm hoping Vaughan will have a good 2 or 3 years left in him and anything can happen in that time.

If Patel's still averaging 50 every season when Vaughan retires (whenever that may be) then he'll clearly be in a great position.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is probably best for Smith to move to another county. The likes of Flintoff, Anderson, Mahmood, Chapple, Newby, Cork and Chapple are making it hard for the young man to have regular starts for Lanchashire and playing second XIs is not fair of someone with his talents.
Agreed. He should be playing ahead of Mahmood and Newby, but isn't. Feel it's necessary to point out that Flintoff has only played 8 Championship games in the last 4 seasons, though, so you really shouldn't be including him on that list.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Agreed. He should be playing ahead of Mahmood and Newby, but isn't. Feel it's necessary to point out that Flintoff has only played 8 Championship games in the last 4 seasons, though, so you really shouldn't be including him on that list.
In regrds to Flintoff, he could get an extended run if he is injured again, though point taken. I don't think that Smith should play ahead of Mahmood though, he is not nearly as threatening and the only advantage he has over Mahmood is with bat.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Smith = Mahmood (this is taking your bias in hand).

I'd also like to add to the list:

Carberry: has been making moves in the last season or two

Pothas: England and keepers...

Denly: another opener

Joyce: has been knocking on the door for sometime now, his FC average is excellent, but age is sort of creeping up on him i.e. when all is said an done with the current players, he'll be on the wrong side of 30 and a younger group maybe be targeted. In conjunction, his Middlesex teammate, Shah, should be ahead of him in the pecking order

Bopara: only a question of when. He's 22 now, I just have the feeling that he will make his Test debut later than we all expect.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bopara must wait, simply, until a chance arises. Right now, he should IMO still be behind both Shah and Joyce.

Carberry won't ever be anything more than a decent county player I shouldn't think, there are enough openers going around who did something early on rather than just in the middle of their careers like him.

Pothas IMO is a bit old now - next summer is the earliest he'd be playing, and I don't really like 34-year-old debutants. If he was to be picked, it had to be at the start of this summer.

Denly's time might well come, he like Godleman has done most things right so far.

Smith is easily better than Mahmood, meanwhile. He might not be as much of an athlete, but his control is infinitely better. And for a bowler, control is more important than almost anything. I've said it a fair few times - how Mahmood ever got near international cricket is beyond me, and no-one would think much of him had he not done so.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Smith is easily better than Mahmood, meanwhile. He might not be as much of an athlete, but his control is infinitely better. And for a bowler, control is more important than almost anything. I've said it a fair few times - how Mahmood ever got near international cricket is beyond me, and no-one would think much of him had he not done so.
I'll take your word, but an average of sub 26 in List A surely would be enough to warrant an ODI shirt? As for Tests, even I, a fan of Mahmood scratch my head at such selection (although once selected, he did get played around by selectors, naemly the start of the Ashes series). I wonder why Botham said during the WC, that he would like to see Mahmood play more Tests as opposed to ODIs :unsure: .

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
very unlikely, but a shame, as i think he's rather good, as for most of the list of england players, i would hope not in most of those cases.
Really? You guys seem to have under 22 talent most international teams would be salivating over.

Also, the likes of Bell, Strauss and Prior are on shaky enough ground already.