• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Strauss

open365

International Vice-Captain
When was Strauss averaging 6 for Middlesex Seconds? :huh:

1997?
It was the season before he got into the England team IIRC, it was in the papers that he'd been averaging something ridiculously poor for Middlesex seconds, i thought it was just the mail exagerating his poor form but i checked it out with one of my mates who brother plays for Middlesex (and was playing in the 2nd team at the time) and he said he was acctualy that bad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well his form for Middlesex Firsts in 2003 was outstanding, so I presume he didn't play many games for the Seconds.

howardj

International Coach
Frankly, I think it would be doing him a favour to drop him. Players should be allowed to get their games back in order away from the pressure and the intense microscope of international cricket. I think Strauss is a good player, but in the end, runs are your only currency as a batsman. He simply hasn't been getting enough of them.

tooextracool

International Coach
Can see Strauss making way when Flintoff comes back for him and Bell making a permament move to opener, personally.
What on earth would possess anyone to think that Bell can possibly make it as an opener? As it stands its hard to see how he's going to succeed at any position if he continues to keep playing down the wrong line for his entire career. Personally whatever is wrong with him, whether its his eyesight or something else he needs to sort it out. The fact for me is that hes made one century in a career spanning almost 3 years against any bowling attack thats above 2 on a scale of 1-10 and thats not good enough. It doesnt matter how good he's looked getting to the 50s, if he doesnt start getting 100s his place in the side should seriously be considered.

As far as the original topic is considered, Strauss has never ever been test class. His technical flaws are exactly the same as they were when he made his debut in 2004 so its no use saying "oh he's gotten worse in recent times or ODIs have made him worse" because its patently false. Even in 2004, there were questions about his pulling and hooking, and thats supposed to be his bread and butter shot. His driving is dreadful and the only thing that hes actually capable of playing is the tuck of the hips and the cut, which is pretty much what he used to succeed in his moment in the sun against SA in 2004. I'd much rather see Key in the side. As far as Joe Denly is concerned, ive seen a bit of him in the 20-20 finals and heaven forbids, if his technique in FC cricket is as atrocious as it was in that game, he shouldnt come anywhere near an english shirt anytime soon.