• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Sri lanka capable of winning their next two test series ?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka will push Australia imo. They had a decent tour last time around and that was without Murali. Should beat England at home fairly comfortably.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Its the confidance and Psyche ...SL batting is pretty buoyant at the moment ...Most of the batsmen in good nick and provided Sanath J and Tharanga / Marvan get in among the runs...we are ready take the Aussies down ....
The thing is the confidence is on the back of performances against Bangladesh. I doubt it will make much difference to their psyche really. Its like scoring runs at FC level going in a Test series. Once you start the Test series you have to start again, as you face better bowlers.

Also there is the ODIs and Twenty20 Cricket in between, so performances in those matches will probably have a greater effect on confidence.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing is the confidence is on the back of performances against Bangladesh. I doubt it will make much difference to their psyche really. Its like scoring runs at FC level going in a Test series. Once you start the Test series you have to start again, as you face better bowlers.

Also there is the ODIs and Twenty20 Cricket in between, so performances in those matches will probably have a greater effect on confidence.
Also, sometimes after some easy wins, teams can tend to get a little overconfident too. It is a two way street.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year

They are playing a lot of Cricket before the series and provided they keep up with runs , I am sure they will turn up in Australia upbeat...and Sandy Gordon will make sure of that with Trevor Bayliss, I am hoping.

As I said before there is no terrors in this Australian line up . Lee is the only one they have to be prepared for. But I am not sure if Lee is even going to be bowling as fast as he was given his ankle was busted and he has not bowled as yet since that, at competitive level.

I am going to put my head on the line here and say SL to win the series 1-0.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Asif can run through the Sri Lankan batsmen, i'll be surprised if Clark isn't capable of doing that too.
Hmmm... Clark will take wickets, but I'm still unsure as to whether his current stats are actually a fair reflection on his ability. No doubting he's a good bowler, but his stats are phenomenal. I think the Sri Lankans would find Hilf a handful though... From what I've seen of Hilfenhaus, I'd say he's a better bowler than Clark. We shall see though. I'm very interested to see who the Aussies pick to replace the retirees.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lets see....I don't see SL having much difficulty dealing with any one bar Lee.

And I am not sure what Lee's fitness situation is and how fast he is bowling since his injury...
Clark gets bounce off a length. On Australian wickets, I really think some of the Sri Lankan batsmen will struggle with that. Sangakkara should be okay, as should Jayawardene and to a lesser extent Dilshan who is a good cutter of the ball. But Tharanga will just get owned, straight up, IMO, and Silva will struggle as well. Just too many holes.

HeathDavisSpeed

and Silva will struggle as well. Just too many holes.
It took Silva a couple of games to work out how to cope against the moving ball in New Zealand, but by the end of their last test series here, he looked one of the more capable players of seam bowling in their order. Could depend on how he goes in the warm up games (if they have any these days 8-) )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
There's only one Warm up game IIRC, but may be that's before the ODI series I think , there may be a couple before the Test series.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm... Clark will take wickets, but I'm still unsure as to whether his current stats are actually a fair reflection on his ability. No doubting he's a good bowler, but his stats are phenomenal. I think the Sri Lankans would find Hilf a handful though... From what I've seen of Hilfenhaus, I'd say he's a better bowler than Clark. We shall see though. I'm very interested to see who the Aussies pick to replace the retirees.
Yeah he is a mid 20s bowler at best, but as Cribb pointed out there are plenty of batsmen in the Sri Lankan batting line up that will struggle to contain him on Australia pitches. I'll be very surprised if Tait and MacGill don't replace the retirees. I actually think that a bowling attack of Lee, Hilfenhaus, Clark and MacGill will be more of handful then with Tait. I still reckon Tait and Lee will cancel each other at especially at Test level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It took Silva a couple of games to work out how to cope against the moving ball in New Zealand, but by the end of their last test series here, he looked one of the more capable players of seam bowling in their order. Could depend on how he goes in the warm up games (if they have any these days 8-) )
I think he'll struggle with the extra bounce of the likes of Clark more than the actual seam. The pitches are a bit quicker and bouncier in Australia, and he likes to get on the front foot, so I can see him struggling if the ball is just short of a length and moving away - which is exactly what Clark bowls every ball.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The extra bounce is something Silva may struggle with more in Australia, then swing really. I haven't seen him play many hook or pull shots that are required away from home.

HeathDavisSpeed

I think he'll struggle with the extra bounce of the likes of Clark more than the actual seam. The pitches are a bit quicker and bouncier in Australia, and he likes to get on the front foot, so I can see him struggling if the ball is just short of a length and moving away - which is exactly what Clark bowls every ball.
Yeah. I think you're right first-up, but my point was more that he seems to be a pretty quick learner. Sadly, a two test series may not be enough for him to 'learn' how to play in Australia. In which case, and given Jason saying there's few warm up games, you could well be right.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the situation with Lee, because If he is not fully fit , I see Australia's bowling looking like this - Clark , Tait, Macgill , Hilfenhaus or Watson.:)

Craig

World Traveller
They are playing a lot of Cricket before the series and provided they keep up with runs , I am sure they will turn up in Australia upbeat...and Sandy Gordon will make sure of that with Trevor Bayliss, I am hoping.

As I said before there is no terrors in this Australian line up . Lee is the only one they have to be prepared for. But I am not sure if Lee is even going to be bowling as fast as he was given his ankle was busted and he has not bowled as yet since that, at competitive level.

I am going to put my head on the line here and say SL to win the series 1-0.
Saved for potential Greigy or Marsh/Lillee award.

Yeah he is a mid 20s bowler at best, but as Cribb pointed out there are plenty of batsmen in the Sri Lankan batting line up that will struggle to contain him on Australia pitches. I'll be very surprised if Tait and MacGill don't replace the retirees. I actually think that a bowling attack of Lee, Hilfenhaus, Clark and MacGill will be more of handful then with Tait. I still reckon Tait and Lee will cancel each other at especially at Test level.
No Mitchell Johnson? I think he is a geniune chance of playing Test cricket this coming summer. For either Rogers or Jaques it could be a baptism of fire coming up against Murali.

pasag

RTDAS
Clark has ripped through SA away and now England. I see absolutely no reason as to why he wont be just as effective against Sri Lanka Jason, unless you're inferring that the Sri Lankan batsmen are much more superior than the previous two sides which he gunned it against.

Re the thread title, no against Australia but will be a very good series against England.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Clark has ripped through SA away and now England. I see no absolutely no reason as to why he wont be just as effective against Sri Lanka Jason, unless you're inferring that the Sri Lankan batsmen are much more superior than the previous two sides which he gunned it against.

Re the thread title, no against Australia but will be a very good series against England.
Its one thing to be bowling along side legends because there is less pressure and expectation on you and another thing to be the spearhead and wicket taker ...we shall see how he copes with the added pressure to deliver wickets and be the leading wicket taker ..

You have to deliver...no one else to pass onto ...we shall see how he wears the added responsibility

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No Mitchell Johnson? I think he is a geniune chance of playing Test cricket this coming summer. For either Rogers or Jaques it could be a baptism of fire coming up against Murali.
Seems to have fallen behind the pack, needs a big start to the season and probably a couple players to get injuried or go out of favour. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a Test by the end of the India series though.

Craig

World Traveller
Clark has ripped through SA away and now England. I see absolutely no reason as to why he wont be just as effective against Sri Lanka Jason, unless you're inferring that the Sri Lankan batsmen are much more superior than the previous two sides which he gunned it against.

I honestly believe batsmen weren't pro-active enough against him. I'm not saying it is easy, but if somebody is just fiddling around then they are bound to get out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The situation with Lee is that he should be fit for Twenty20 and near full fitness for Sri Lanka series, unless he gets injuried again.