• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best fielding side?

Kimbo

International Debutant
would you mind explaining your vote for england cosmiccoyoete?
i reckon they are pretty poor in the field personally.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Also vandemataram just because you don't find me funny, I'm not your cup of tea to put it another way (probably as I keep finding problems with India as a team), it doesn't mean other people don't think differently, and calling them a "batallion of servile flatterers" is actually very insulting, now if you do that again I'll report you.

Originally posted by Rik
Also vandemataram just because you don't find me funny, I'm not your cup of tea to put it another way (probably as I keep finding problems with India as a team), it doesn't mean other people don't think differently, and calling them a "batallion of servile flatterers" is actually very insulting, now if you do that again I'll report you.
Report for what?? stop being so touchy, if you are son sensitive then better stop glorifying your so called sense of humor!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its Australia then South Africa then New Zealand.
Then there's a gap & i'd say its England.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Sunil Havascar
would you mind explaining your vote for england cosmiccoyoete?
i reckon they are pretty poor in the field personally.
Well I wouldn't call them the best but they aren't bad.

Kimbo

International Debutant
`The english fielding is just too defensive. Collingwood really lifted them last night and that was good to see. But I will never get over Ronnie Irani's long barriers at mid off to a rolling ball straight to him while the aussies are taking a cheeky single.... of course, its not cheeky t all if the fielder is doing long barriers!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
`The english fielding is just too defensive. Collingwood really lifted them last night and that was good to see. But I will never get over Ronnie Irani's long barriers at mid off to a rolling ball straight to him while the aussies are taking a cheeky single.... of course, its not cheeky t all if the fielder is doing long barriers!
Hmmm odd, I've never used the long barrier myself, I've just used my hands and get ready to throw straight away...

Kimbo

International Debutant
The long barrier is like, so last century!

no really it is. a good fielder should trust their hands, especially since the ground thos guys are playing on is like a carpet, no excuses eh...
the only time i use a long barrier is on a particularly bad lumpy bumpy field or if the ball has been cracked at me and the batsmen are not running.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The long barrier is like, so last century!

no really it is. a good fielder should trust their hands, especially since the ground thos guys are playing on is like a carpet, no excuses eh...
the only time i use a long barrier is on a particularly bad lumpy bumpy field or if the ball has been cracked at me and the batsmen are not running.
Well I stop it by using my hands, diving and using my hands or slide stopping (which I do too much of and it took skin off once), I've dived forwards to flick the ball back before it crosses the boundary a few times, once I ended up rolling head over heals into the side of the pavillion :lol::lol::lol:

Kimbo

International Debutant
can some more people vote for NZ, i don't like us on a level pegging with england, we are way better.
England has : collingwood (who hardly plays), and nick knight
NZ has: Vincent, Harris, Oram, and McMillan is fantastic for a big guy, fleming in slip... in fact their only weakness in the field is Richardson, thats half the reason he cant play ODIs

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah England have got Trescothick who has a superb arm and although he's not the best mover he hardly ever drops a catch. Also Craig White (although I don't think he adds anything to the team) is a good fielder. Nasser is one of the best England fielders and some of the stops I've seen him pull off have been amazing, he's very very agile and usually fields in the Gully.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
no contest - Australia

England ODI is far better than England test with Collingwood and Knight but they are still fairly ordinary

RSA are good and NZ are ok, then everyone else is between NZ and England

Kimbo

International Debutant
Now I am getting patriotic and angry...
time for a new poll: who is better at fielding, NZ or England!!!?

V Reddy

International Debutant
NZ are a way better fielding side than ENG . I voted for NZ. voted just when the thread was started.

Kimbo

International Debutant
EXACTLY.
I honestly think that NZ's strength is in their fielding, rather than batting or bowling.

What do you guys think would happen if a team was selected purely on fielding ability- the world's best fielders put into one team. Even if they weren't the best batters or bowlers...
It would be so cool to see a tournament of batters vs bowlers vs fielders. I wonder how even it would be...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Nice idea Sunil.

I think England have some very good fielders. Flintoff is a very good catcher, as is Trescothick. They both have great hands and rarely drop anything. Then there are the groundfielders like Collingwood, Knight and Hussain who is excellent and always has been.

Actually back in the day I seem to remember Atherton being a very athletic fielder before he duffed his back in. I remember one great diving catch in particular.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Nice idea Sunil.

I think England have some very good fielders. Flintoff is a very good catcher, as is Trescothick. They both have great hands and rarely drop anything. Then there are the groundfielders like Collingwood, Knight and Hussain who is excellent and always has been.

Actually back in the day I seem to remember Atherton being a very athletic fielder before he duffed his back in. I remember one great diving catch in particular.
Almost all the sides have 4-5 very good fielders . While NZ, AUS and RSA have almost all the fielders who are very good.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well other than Irani and Caddick who would you say is a weak fielder in the England Team? Giles has a superb arm and got 2 run outs in Pakistan...close together...one with a direct hit from the boundary basically. Kirtley took a stunner in the summer. Harmison is a bit clumsy but fair play...so is Gillespie...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its all very well to be able to stop the ball & to have a good arm, but how many catches did England drop in the Ashes?.

Granted NZ dropped a few against India, but they made up for them with some superb efforts.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Oram... what a star!
and Fleming's was fantastic too. Styris hauled in a goodie eh... Vincent is safe as a house. Actually, that catch McMillan took diving forward was pretty tough too.

I really think it would be a spectacle to have a fielding team- they could put practically everyone in the circle and you wouldn't see to much go through. There wouldn't be any fast bowlers though eh!