• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

JBH001

International Regular
in another weather update by the man on the spot: its cleared a bit, so play looks likely. lots of grey clouds and a few gusty winds (more or less a typical auckland day) but should be okay for the game. still reckon a couple of rain interruptions are on the cards though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England won the toss and will bowl, Hitchcock plays for New Zealand, Mason out. Wright and Mascarenhas replace Bopara and Swann.

Looking forward to see Hitchcock bowl.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swann out, Mascarenhas in. Not sorry to see Swann missing-out on playing on this ground where the boundaries are, to put it mildly, pathetic. No spinner is ever likely to enjoy themselves here.

Mascarenhas might suffer too, which would also be quite a shame of course.

England choose to field first BTW.

Hitchcock playing is probably preferable to O'Brien, but he's still crap.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well at least we can't lose by ten wickets again.

A couple early wickets, and the Kiwi middle order is out of practice... [/straws]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In half of the matches he played his economy was 4.20, 2.90, 4.00, 3.00, 3.80, 3.75, 2.87, 2.30, 3.49, 3.93, 3.11, 3.75, 4.37, 3.30 so I wouldn't say he played well only 3 times out of 10.:)
:huh: Anderson's economy-rates in the 10 games last summer were 2.87, 7.80, 5.10, 2.30, 5.60, 3.49, 3.93, 6.00, 9.87 and 3.11. The games I'd classify him as having bowled well in were the 1st, 4th and 10th. His figures looked good (indeed, excellent, when he'd been gifted 2 late wickets in each) in the 5th and 6th. But I don't feel he bowled well, at all. And certainly he didn't bowl well or close to in the other 5.
With regard to the meaningless games I am saying he bowled better than the other bowlers in the squad.
True, but still, if the situation is reversed in ODIs those games can be written-off totally, IMO.
How did he manage to get into the top 15 in the ODI bowling rankings?
I have never, ever set any stall at all by the LG Rankings, for any player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah, on the Bopara out for Wright thing... still think Wright's about the worst batsman I've ever seen picked for a ODI for England, but Bopara needs a break.

Here goes Sidebottom...

And starts with a wide.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Oh, yeah, on the Bopara out for Wright thing... still think Wright's about the worst batsman I've ever seen picked for a ODI for England, but Bopara needs a break.

Here goes Sidebottom...

And starts with a wide.
Wright wouldn't have been selected if not for his bowling, so you can't level that at him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wright wouldn't have been selected if not for his bowling, so you can't level that at him.
Wright has bowled 2 overs in his 2 ODIs. He has been picked exclusively because they honestly think that because of 2 or 3 decent innings that he's going to be ODI-class with bat alone.

On other news, this ground really is ridiculous, I always forget just how bad it is. How on Earth do they allow international cricket to be played here? It's like playing it at Taunton, though possibly even worse.

Even Mustard is in serious danger of getting runs here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah. O'Brien is considerably better than the shower of **** that is Hitchcock.
Sorry, I simply refuse to believe that anyone can be considerably better than O'Diren. I know Hitchcock's bad, I certainly do, but the worst he can be is as bad as him.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The wicket will do. The short ball actually works for once, rather than flying into the stands.

In other news, our slip cordon is Cook and Shah. Has there ever been a less reliable pair at one and two?