Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Slate is wiped clean , who would you like to see in Englands ODI squad

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber View Post
    CricInfo probable squad: Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood (capt), Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki, Alex Gidman, Michael Yardy, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, James Anderson, Matthew Hoggard, Monty Panesar

Not sure really what to think. The names , probably confirm what we already know: None of us have any idea what Peter Moores is thinking. Can't believe that Hoggard and Solanki are in that list. And the others im not to sure about either. Only 14 men in that squad so it isnt the 15 I originally thought. The other intersting thing about the list is that its in batting order (and yes Matt Prior is at the top). Not a move I'd back , (hes been found out before at the top of the order).

Lets hope the Cricinfo squad looks nothing like the actual squad.

My Kirtley shout thinking about it , isn't as daft as it sounds. With Moores' Sussex connection who knows. I certainly don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in there yet.
    Cripes, that's obscene. Sadly, these people usually have some sort of information to make suggestions like that. Hoggard fits, of course, with the above names of Kirtley, Shah and Harmison in the "we've seen plenty and no thanks" camp. Solanki, well, I've never rated him but he undoubtedly got a poor deal in his most recent (third and fourth, combined) comings. His record as an opener against ODI-standard sides is surprisingly semi-decent (average of 30, even if his first-chance average in said position reveals a truer picture). Could it seriously be being thought to pick him to open again?

Gidman... as TT says... just no, please. Next Rikki Clarke here we come.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I've also put this in the WI thread, but here's the England squad.

1 Paul Collingwood (Durham, capt), 2 James Anderson (Lancashire), 3 Ian Bell (Warwickshire), 4 Stuart Broad (Leicestershire), 5 Alastair Cook (Essex), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), 7 Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire), 8 Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), 9 Liam Plunkett (Durham), 10 Matt Prior (Sussex), 11 Owais Shah (Middlesex), 12 Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), 13 Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), 14 Michael Yardy (Sussex)

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    No place for Benning, no Strauss either - seems a surfeit of top order batsmen (shouldn't see cook and bell opening together which means we get Prior up top - then at three we get either Trott, shah and the other of Bell/Cook. I reckon they'll probably play one of them out of position at 6 though or open with Bell & Cook. Could drop Pietersen down one i guess, maybe

Prior
    Cook
    Bell
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Collingwood(c)
    Mascarenhas
    Plunkett
    Broad/Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Panesar

gio
    U19 Cricketer
    I think it's a good squad, probably the best available without Trescothick. Mascarenhas is a good selection, as is Trott. Interesting to see Strauss dropped, probably the right decision considering his poor form in the tests.

My starting XI would be

Prior
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Trott
    Collingwood
    Yardy/extra bowler
    Mascarenhas
    Sidebottom/Plunkett
    Anderson
    Panesar

Can't really decide who to play at 7, I think Mascarenhas would be too high at 7, so I would consider Yardy to play as a batsman who can offer some spin. I think it's too early for Broad, so I would play Sidebottom.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I think the plan is to bat Trott at 3:

BBC
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

gio
    U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I think the plan is to bat Trott at 3:

BBC
    In that case, move Bell down to 6 and Collingwood up to 5

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    My X1 from this lot would be...

Alastair Cook
    Matt Prior
    Ian Bell
    Kevin Pietersen
    Paul Collingwood
    Jonathan Trott
    Michael Yardy
    Dmitri Mascheranhas
    Monty Panesar/Liam Plunkett (depending on the pitch)
    Ryan Sidebottom
    James Anderson
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

U19 12th Man
    Prior and Cook at the top , thats sorted.

At 3. Well it could be Bell , Trott , or Pietersen. Although in saying that I do expect all three to play. But I wouldn't be surprised if the top 6 looked like this.

1. Cook
    2. Prior
    3. Trott
    4. Pietersen
    5. Collingwood
    6. Bell

I know guys like Boycott have suggested Pietersen at three , but I get the feeling he'll retain his space at four.

Interestingly , no Dalrymple (Is he injured?). I would have had him ahead of Yardy. But I reckon that Mascarenhas will play. Probably at number 7.

I think Moores' will play four bowlers. Which means that Plunkett will play. Which Im not to happy with , but the four bowlers thing makes sense.

Bottom 5:

7. Mascarenhas
    8. Plunkett
    9. Broad
    10. Sidebottom
    11. Panesar

Im surprised that they didn't pick someone like Benning/Maddy , for the 20/20's alone. Especially without Flintoff , the batting order lacks impotes (sp). But thats how things are sometimes.

Overall a good squad. I would have had it a bit differently (wouldn't we all) , and I'm sure if Flintoff and Bopara were fit , it would have a slightly different feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TBH, I'd say the same thing about Yardy...
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Mascarenhas in the squad!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallaylooyarrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly was never expecting this day to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    TBH, I'd say the same thing about Yardy...
    At least Yardy's only been hopeless once, though - Clarke's done it 3 times!

gio
    U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Mascarenhas in the squad!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallaylooyarrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly was never expecting this day to come.
    Ditto. I was of the opinion that the selectors just didn't fancy him. Thankfully, they showed some sense in picking a very good and economical OD bowler.

TBH, it's been a combination of that and one other thing - this is the first season since 2004 that he's been bowling well. His form in 2005 and 2006 was poor and I didn't really want him picked then.

Now that he appears to be going well again, though, I'm ecstatic. Just a shame Mark Ealham's chances are now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I've also put this in the WI thread, but here's the England squad.

1 Paul Collingwood (Durham, capt), 2 James Anderson (Lancashire), 3 Ian Bell (Warwickshire), 4 Stuart Broad (Leicestershire), 5 Alastair Cook (Essex), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), 7 Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire), 8 Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), 9 Liam Plunkett (Durham), 10 Matt Prior (Sussex), 11 Owais Shah (Middlesex), 12 Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), 13 Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), 14 Michael Yardy (Sussex)
    Wow, they actually picked Mascarenhas - top stuff. Nice to see Trott there too. Fairly similar to my squad - Broad in for Tremlett, Yardy in for Benning and Shah in for Allenby (I certainly excepted the first and last of those though). 14 players and not 15, too, so no place for Dalrymple.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 22-06-2007 at 06:05 AM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

U19 Captain
    as good as it will probably get for now, great to see trott and mascarenhas get a go. hugely let down benning isn't in the squad though, just doesn't look like enough firepower in the batting to me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information