• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Slate is wiped clean , who would you like to see in Englands ODI squad

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
CricInfo probable squad: Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood (capt), Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki, Alex Gidman, Michael Yardy, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, James Anderson, Matthew Hoggard, Monty Panesar

Not sure really what to think. The names , probably confirm what we already know: None of us have any idea what Peter Moores is thinking. Can't believe that Hoggard and Solanki are in that list. And the others im not to sure about either. Only 14 men in that squad so it isnt the 15 I originally thought. The other intersting thing about the list is that its in batting order (and yes Matt Prior is at the top). Not a move I'd back , (hes been found out before at the top of the order).

Lets hope the Cricinfo squad looks nothing like the actual squad.

My Kirtley shout thinking about it , isn't as daft as it sounds. With Moores' Sussex connection who knows. I certainly don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in there yet.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Has Trott definitely declared for us? Obviously he's a de facto Pom as he's a UK passport holder & not classed as an overseas player @ Warwicks, but I haven't heard any announcements on his desire to play for England reported in the media.
Trott according to Cricinfo.com qualified for England last year. You probably haven't heard much about Trott this year because his failed to score runs in county cricket and was last month sent to play seconds for Warwickshire. His average in FPT cricket as well as his List A average is fantastic but the thought is that, Trott's tendency to play all around his pads would make him a bit of liability at international level. I myself wouldn't mind him in the squad, really good player who at least deserves a 'go'.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
CricInfo probable squad: Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood (capt), Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki, Alex Gidman, Michael Yardy, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, James Anderson, Matthew Hoggard, Monty Panesar
Not sure really what to think. The names , probably confirm what we already know: None of us have any idea what Peter Moores is thinking. Can't believe that Hoggard and Solanki are in that list. And the others im not to sure about either. Only 14 men in that squad so it isnt the 15 I originally thought. The other intersting thing about the list is that its in batting order (and yes Matt Prior is at the top). Not a move I'd back , (hes been found out before at the top of the order).

My Kirtley shout thinking about it , isn't as daft as it sounds. With Moores' Sussex connection who knows. I certainly don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in there yet.
Gidman is rather left field, awful List A average with the bat and his bowling is no better than what Collingwood could serve up. Benning’s absence doesn’t surprise me and the probable selections of Hoggard, Solanki and Yardy, indicate the selectors still haven’t got a clue.

As you say hopefully the squad is rather different to the one predicated.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Oh, how I wish people with thirty plus years' experience of the professional and International game knew as much as people on their computers in back bedrooms.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
The squad I expect to see tomorrow looks something like this:

Paul Collingwood*
Matt Prior+
Andrew Strauss
Alastair Cook
James Benning
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Jamie Dalrymple
Alex Gidman
Chris Tremlett
Liam Plunkett
Stuart Broad
James Anderson
Ryan Sidebottom
Monty Panesar

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, how I wish people with thirty plus years' experience of the professional and International game knew as much as people on their computers in back bedrooms.
Good post, nice and condescending. Unless you was being sarcastic, voided of any similes but full of adolescent clichés.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit of a Jimmy there. Isn't that something that is said as often as the trees? :huh:

Or was it sarcasm? You post so rarely on genuine debating matters these days it's hard to tell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Other possible bowling options not mentioned so far are Kirtley & (at a slight stretch) Tim Murtagh who's been doing rather well for Middlesex since he moved from Surrey and has played age group cricket for England previously.
dont have a squad but i would like to see owais shah and harmison back in the odi squad
Even if Harmison hadn't retired - haven't we seen rather enough of him, Shah and Kirtley in ODIs?

I certainly have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm just thinking about the spinning allrounder spot that has been filled with limited success by the likes of Dalrymple and Yardy. Blackwell has had a go as well, and although he's obviously a powerful hitter (not that he's displayed it on the international stage), I just plain don't like him :ph34r: so I thought Loudon would be a good option. That said, I think he's the best of a poor current bunch, and I imagine that Rashid will make the position his own in years to come.
TBH, I've never rated Blackwell at all as either batsman or bowler. All the same, his (and Yardy's) record is good, whereas Loudon's never even been a front-line bowler at any point in his career. I think if we're going to go for one of the three, Loudon should be the last in line, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Cripes, that's obscene. Sadly, these people usually have some sort of information to make suggestions like that. Hoggard fits, of course, with the above names of Kirtley, Shah and Harmison in the "we've seen plenty and no thanks" camp. Solanki, well, I've never rated him but he undoubtedly got a poor deal in his most recent (third and fourth, combined) comings. His record as an opener against ODI-standard sides is surprisingly semi-decent (average of 30, even if his first-chance average in said position reveals a truer picture). Could it seriously be being thought to pick him to open again?

Gidman... as TT says... just no, please. Next Rikki Clarke here we come.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I've also put this in the WI thread, but here's the England squad.

1 Paul Collingwood (Durham, capt), 2 James Anderson (Lancashire), 3 Ian Bell (Warwickshire), 4 Stuart Broad (Leicestershire), 5 Alastair Cook (Essex), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), 7 Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire), 8 Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), 9 Liam Plunkett (Durham), 10 Matt Prior (Sussex), 11 Owais Shah (Middlesex), 12 Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), 13 Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), 14 Michael Yardy (Sussex)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
No place for Benning, no Strauss either - seems a surfeit of top order batsmen (shouldn't see cook and bell opening together which means we get Prior up top - then at three we get either Trott, shah and the other of Bell/Cook. I reckon they'll probably play one of them out of position at 6 though or open with Bell & Cook. Could drop Pietersen down one i guess, maybe

Prior
Cook
Bell
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood(c)
Mascarenhas
Plunkett
Broad/Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

gio

U19 Cricketer
I think it's a good squad, probably the best available without Trescothick. Mascarenhas is a good selection, as is Trott. Interesting to see Strauss dropped, probably the right decision considering his poor form in the tests.

My starting XI would be

Prior
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Trott
Collingwood
Yardy/extra bowler
Mascarenhas
Sidebottom/Plunkett
Anderson
Panesar

Can't really decide who to play at 7, I think Mascarenhas would be too high at 7, so I would consider Yardy to play as a batsman who can offer some spin. I think it's too early for Broad, so I would play Sidebottom.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My X1 from this lot would be...

Alastair Cook
Matt Prior
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Jonathan Trott
Michael Yardy
Dmitri Mascheranhas
Monty Panesar/Liam Plunkett (depending on the pitch)
Ryan Sidebottom
James Anderson

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Prior and Cook at the top , thats sorted.

At 3. Well it could be Bell , Trott , or Pietersen. Although in saying that I do expect all three to play. But I wouldn't be surprised if the top 6 looked like this.

1. Cook
2. Prior
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Collingwood
6. Bell

I know guys like Boycott have suggested Pietersen at three , but I get the feeling he'll retain his space at four.

Interestingly , no Dalrymple (Is he injured?). I would have had him ahead of Yardy. But I reckon that Mascarenhas will play. Probably at number 7.

I think Moores' will play four bowlers. Which means that Plunkett will play. Which Im not to happy with , but the four bowlers thing makes sense.

Bottom 5:

7. Mascarenhas
8. Plunkett
9. Broad
10. Sidebottom
11. Panesar

Im surprised that they didn't pick someone like Benning/Maddy , for the 20/20's alone. Especially without Flintoff , the batting order lacks impotes (sp). But thats how things are sometimes.

Overall a good squad. I would have had it a bit differently (wouldn't we all) , and I'm sure if Flintoff and Bopara were fit , it would have a slightly different feel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mascarenhas in the squad!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallaylooyarrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

I honestly was never expecting this day to come. :)