Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79

Thread: The Slate is wiped clean , who would you like to see in Englands ODI squad

  1. #16
    U19 Cricketer gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    439
    dont have a squad but i would like to see owais shah and harmison back in the odi squad

  2. #17
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    My XI weould be:
    Cook
    Benning
    Bell
    KP
    Collingwood (C)
    Bopara (if not fit Clarke)
    Prior
    Broad
    Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Monty

    And the back ups:
    Trott
    Dalyrymple
    Tremlett

    Do we really need more than 14 in a three match ODI and two match 20/20 series? What I do NOT want to see: Vaughan and Strauss in the squad, Solanki as captain (D Lloyd suggested that. Thank god he ain't coach any more.). Solanki averages 26 in ODIs. If we wanted a captain with a crap average keep Vaughan. And the following seam bowlers should NOT be picked: Mascarenas (Rose Bowl specialist). Mahmood and Bresnan (Do I need to say why?) or Plunkett (let the guy learn to bowl first)
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #18
    State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting thought about Cook at three... thinking along the Jayasuriya-Kalu-Atapattu lines. Maybe. But I think all in all I'd prefer have the openers opening and Benning (who is after all only a manufactured OD opener) at three.

    As for Loudon... has he managed to get his career average much higher than 20 yet? Kent bias coming in IMO
    Cheeky! Nah, it's certainly not a Kent bias in this instance (although I will admit that I have a tendency to veer in that direction - Tredwell, anyone? ) - I'm actually pretty annoyed with him for leaving Kent and going to Warwickshire, so I certainly wouldn't favour him in any way above anyone else.

    I'm just thinking about the spinning allrounder spot that has been filled with limited success by the likes of Dalrymple and Yardy. Blackwell has had a go as well, and although he's obviously a powerful hitter (not that he's displayed it on the international stage), I just plain don't like him so I thought Loudon would be a good option. That said, I think he's the best of a poor current bunch, and I imagine that Rashid will make the position his own in years to come.

    I like having Benning at the top because he's likely to make more of the fielding restrictions in the first 15 overs than Cook.

  4. #19
    State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    dont have a squad but i would like to see owais shah and harmison back in the odi squad
    Retired from ODI's...

    No one's mentioned Gidman yet - he's another man that's been in great form this season, and has captained at England A level.


  5. #20
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,200
    Is it too late to hand Dave Mohammed a passport?

    We could trade him for Ed Joyce.

  6. #21
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    218
    CricInfo probable squad: Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood (capt), Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki, Alex Gidman, Michael Yardy, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, James Anderson, Matthew Hoggard, Monty Panesar

    Not sure really what to think. The names , probably confirm what we already know: None of us have any idea what Peter Moores is thinking. Can't believe that Hoggard and Solanki are in that list. And the others im not to sure about either. Only 14 men in that squad so it isnt the 15 I originally thought. The other intersting thing about the list is that its in batting order (and yes Matt Prior is at the top). Not a move I'd back , (hes been found out before at the top of the order).

    Lets hope the Cricinfo squad looks nothing like the actual squad.

    My Kirtley shout thinking about it , isn't as daft as it sounds. With Moores' Sussex connection who knows. I certainly don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in there yet.

  7. #22
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,542
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Has Trott definitely declared for us? Obviously he's a de facto Pom as he's a UK passport holder & not classed as an overseas player @ Warwicks, but I haven't heard any announcements on his desire to play for England reported in the media.
    Trott according to Cricinfo.com qualified for England last year. You probably haven't heard much about Trott this year because his failed to score runs in county cricket and was last month sent to play seconds for Warwickshire. His average in FPT cricket as well as his List A average is fantastic but the thought is that, Trott's tendency to play all around his pads would make him a bit of liability at international level. I myself wouldn't mind him in the squad, really good player who at least deserves a 'go'.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 21-06-2007 at 12:58 PM.

  8. #23
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber View Post
    CricInfo probable squad: Alastair Cook, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood (capt), Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki, Alex Gidman, Michael Yardy, Stuart Broad, Ryan Sidebottom, James Anderson, Matthew Hoggard, Monty Panesar
    Not sure really what to think. The names , probably confirm what we already know: None of us have any idea what Peter Moores is thinking. Can't believe that Hoggard and Solanki are in that list. And the others im not to sure about either. Only 14 men in that squad so it isnt the 15 I originally thought. The other intersting thing about the list is that its in batting order (and yes Matt Prior is at the top). Not a move I'd back , (hes been found out before at the top of the order).

    Lets hope the Cricinfo squad looks nothing like the actual squad.

    My Kirtley shout thinking about it , isn't as daft as it sounds. With Moores' Sussex connection who knows. I certainly don't want to see Jimmy Anderson in there yet.
    Gidman is rather left field, awful List A average with the bat and his bowling is no better than what Collingwood could serve up. Benning’s absence doesn’t surprise me and the probable selections of Hoggard, Solanki and Yardy, indicate the selectors still haven’t got a clue.

    As you say hopefully the squad is rather different to the one predicated.

  9. #24
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,769
    Oh, how I wish people with thirty plus years' experience of the professional and International game knew as much as people on their computers in back bedrooms.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  10. #25
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    The squad I expect to see tomorrow looks something like this:

    Paul Collingwood*
    Matt Prior+
    Andrew Strauss
    Alastair Cook
    James Benning
    Kevin Pietersen
    Ian Bell
    Jamie Dalrymple
    Alex Gidman
    Chris Tremlett
    Liam Plunkett
    Stuart Broad
    James Anderson
    Ryan Sidebottom
    Monty Panesar

  11. #26
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Oh, how I wish people with thirty plus years' experience of the professional and International game knew as much as people on their computers in back bedrooms.
    Good post, nice and condescending. Unless you was being sarcastic, voided of any similes but full of adolescent clichés.

  12. #27
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,769
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Good post, nice and condescending. Unless you was being sarcastic, voided of any similes but full of adolescent clichés.
    Okay, crouched above their keyboards like witches over cauldrons.

  13. #28
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Oh, how I wish people with thirty plus years' experience of the professional and International game knew as much as people on their computers in back bedrooms.
    Bit of a Jimmy there. Isn't that something that is said as often as the trees?

    Or was it sarcasm? You post so rarely on genuine debating matters these days it's hard to tell.

  14. #29
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Other possible bowling options not mentioned so far are Kirtley & (at a slight stretch) Tim Murtagh who's been doing rather well for Middlesex since he moved from Surrey and has played age group cricket for England previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    dont have a squad but i would like to see owais shah and harmison back in the odi squad
    Even if Harmison hadn't retired - haven't we seen rather enough of him, Shah and Kirtley in ODIs?

    I certainly have.

  15. #30
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfires_Fan View Post
    I'm just thinking about the spinning allrounder spot that has been filled with limited success by the likes of Dalrymple and Yardy. Blackwell has had a go as well, and although he's obviously a powerful hitter (not that he's displayed it on the international stage), I just plain don't like him so I thought Loudon would be a good option. That said, I think he's the best of a poor current bunch, and I imagine that Rashid will make the position his own in years to come.
    TBH, I've never rated Blackwell at all as either batsman or bowler. All the same, his (and Yardy's) record is good, whereas Loudon's never even been a front-line bowler at any point in his career. I think if we're going to go for one of the three, Loudon should be the last in line, TBH.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Here's an idea for Englands ODI squad!!
    By one_dayer in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 534
    Last Post: 25-09-2007, 05:23 PM
  2. New Zealand A Squad Announced
    By corza_nz in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 04:45 AM
  3. Australian Squad
    By Simon in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 08:49 PM
  4. Season 9 Squad Compilation
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 466
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. Player Movements.
    By Graham in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-09-2002, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •