• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series Thread

Redox

Cricket Spectator
The first match is between old rivals, England and Australia.Its going to be a cracker and will probably be decided in the final over, any team can win it really!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
england will have to play 1000000000% better than they have so far this summer to stand a chance unfortunatley, a competitive game would be nice

Andre

International Regular
I'm going out to the game today. I think thew key guys for England will be Trescothick and Irani, one in form one out of form. They are both big match players too. Hopefully we will have a close contest.

Redox

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Andre
I'm going out to the game today. I think thew key guys for England will be Trescothick and Irani, one in form one out of form. They are both big match players too. Hopefully we will have a close contest.
Yes, Irani,Tres and Harmison can pose a lot of problems for the Aussies!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
So far so good for the Poms. Win the toss, bat and smash the bowling. Trescothick starts with a better than a run a ball 50. Entertaining stuff to say the least. Let's hope it continues and we can see a close game for a change.

Redox

Cricket Spectator
WOW** What a start for England, 116 of just 20 overs!! Glen,Jason and Lee all gone for runs, Watson was the worse of the lot.England going to win this oneday for sure!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Impressive performance by England batsmen, particularly by the openers.Though there was a batting collapse yet 251 is a defendable score, England now have a good chance of winning the match, but it won't be easy against the Aussies.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aussies 2/189 in the 33rd. Hayden about to get his hundred.

Correction just as I type that has holed out at mid-off.

He's doing a Mark Waugh; increasin his top score by one run every time. It was 97 now it's 98.

At this rate he should score his first hundred sometime in 2004......................and then get out. :D

So make that 3/189.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Redox
England going to win this oneday for sure!
Can people please stop spouting this rubbish?
Jumping to conclusions never helps anyone.

That's definitely a morale-boosting performance anyway, hopefully we can carry this through to the SL games.

Andre

International Regular
Actually Corey, Hayden has 2 ODI hundreds - 146 vs Pakistan, and I think about 103 against India. But he does have a 99 and 98.

Originally posted by Top_Cat
Aussies 2/189 in the 33rd. Hayden about to get his hundred.

Correction just as I type that has holed out at mid-off.

He's doing a Mark Waugh; increasin his top score by one run every time. It was 97 now it's 98.

At this rate he should score his first hundred sometime in 2004......................and then get out. :D

So make that 3/189.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I would say (purely from scorecard - haven't seen any action) England - particularly big 3 of Knight, Trescothick and Hussain - batted very well. We should probably have made 20-30 more having been 200-2 at the 40 over mark, but unfortunately it looks like a few people threw their wickets away going for big hits. In some ways it's unfortunate. When you slog in the last 10 overs, some days you'll score 100 runs, others you'll be 50-6 as we were here.

Bowling looks poor, spare Blackwell, and maybe to an extent White.

WHY WAS BATTY PLAYING? I'M GONNA SCREAM IF WE PICK ANY MORE NO HOPERS LIKE HIM! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :(!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
WHY WAS BATTY PLAYING? I'M GONNA SCREAM IF WE PICK ANY MORE NO HOPERS LIKE HIM! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :(!
Come on, he's not that bad, and looked a good replacement for Snape. I've been impressed with him for a while as well. He got a 1st baller and went for 55, sounds like a typical debut for a youngster...at least he can only get better! Blackwell...he doesn't even bowl 10 overs for Somerset...so combined figures of his 2 last games: 20 overs, 64 runs, 3 Wickets is very impressive. He's quite slow through the air and is very much an orthodox Slow Left Armer...and he's done well against Aussie Batsmen...maybe Australia have trouble with Slow Left Armers? Tufnell and Giles have troubled them...when the pitches were not Edgebaston or the Oval flatbeds...just a thought :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It was a good performance by England, an unbeaten Century by Knight, another 60 odd by Trescothick at over a run a ball and a uncharacteristic 50 from Hussain off only about 60 balls. But too many ducks! As for the bowling...I thought Fletcher had realised that Caddick was a poor ODI bowler in the summer...and even worse when he has to lead an attack a la the 1st 3 Tests...Kirtley surprised me, every time I've seen him bowl he's impressed me but I can't understand why he goes for so many runs or gets so few Wickets! Blackwell impressed with the ball after failing with the bat as did Irani, Shah got out cheaply, Batty had a horror debut with a 1st baller and 55 runs off his 10 overs without a wicket...and Stewart got out in the slog overs. Overall not bad, enough to beat Sri Lanka in my opinion, but still quite not good enough against a team as strong as Australia. I wouldn't mind seeing Hollioake thrown in, maybe in Batty's place as he seems to be a man reborn over the last year and only 2 players bettered his OD bowling average of (30 Wickets at) 14.86 and maybe Anderson in the place of Caddick as he's looking worse than useless...

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think England's attack has become like an Indian attack. Even Indian bowling would have fared better. Don't tell me that it's b'coz the best team. Scores in the region of 300 are rarely scored in AUS. Atleast they should have picked 5-6 wkts.In the last series scores were around 200. You just hit a few 4's and the Eng bowling attack falls under pressure. They are consistently giving around 300. And also the captaincy was really bad today. How can hussain not put a 3rd man especially with the new ball:wow::wow:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They didn't score in the region of 300 but rather in the region of 250. Anyway you try to get Hayden out cheaply recently! It's extremely hard to do and I am sincerely doubting that the mighty Indians, even with the greatest left-armer (obviously not considering Wasim) is in the team, would have done any better.

V Reddy

International Debutant
They would have got 300 easily had they played the 50 overs. I am not saying only from this match. In the last few series they are consistently giving more than 270 just like India. NZ and SAF consistently bowled AUS for a total around 200 last year. Also only Choora said that Zaheer is the best left armer.